Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM

631 posts, read 719,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You have poven nothing. Average cost of Chrisitie's staff has gone up, that could be due to increase in staff mandated by the state Lieutenant gov, first lady staff etc.) or could be raises. Prove to me which one it is. Yes, we all know, you can't.

Well yes I can, Here's proof the Lt Govener's Salary is not part of the gov's office payroll

Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno is also the Sec. of State. She gets paid 141,000 for that title. You can see the proof of that here:

NJ State Employees Details

As you pointed out. Nina Wells was Corzine's secretary of state. She had close to the same salary. You can see that proof here:

Public Employees Details

Let's remember that we are talking about the "N.J. gov's office payroll", so it appears we are strictly talking about the Governor's personal staff.

That article lists the highest paid members of Christie and Corzine's staff. Niether Nina Wells or Kim Guadagno is listed hence not included in the 440,000.

NorthJersey.com: N.J. gov's office payroll goes up under Christie

Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Christie can't raise property taxes.

Your raise question has been answered going to answer the $11 billion question? I suspect not.
i'm glad you recognized that and maybe someone should have told Christie during the campaign that he also couldn't lower property taxes. Maybe all those who voted for Christie, that are now complaining about him, should have listened and realized that his actions on a State Level were actually going to cause Property taxes to increase.

I just want to say to those 60% in NJ who did not vote, don't complain, just sit back for the next 3 years and 8 months,stew in your anger and get your arse to the polls in 2013.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:05 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I made my statement of hiring more qualified people becasue I believe the whole debate is pointless.

The first point of fact here is that Christie did not give a raise to anyone. His administrative executive staff simply makes more than those under Corzine. So, his folks were hired at those rates, not given a raise to reach them.

Secondly and the reason for the Star retraction is that it became obvious when the figures were originally released was that Corzine didn't take a salary, didn't have a Lt. Governor and wasn't married, that had a big impact. Additionally Corzine had as many as 12 employees (9 of whom made $100k+) hidden off the executive payroll in different departments.

The $440k that we are talking about (adjusted Star figure) is divided up between multiple employees. A good chunk of that is going to the governor's wifes staff which she is constitutionally required to have. Her protocol director and assistant make $125k and $65k respectively. That's $190k of the $440k. People are talking about the Lt. Governor, but she doesn't count on the executive pay roll as she is also the Sec. State. So, between all 117 (Lt. Gov doesn't count) members of the executive staff they are collectively making $250k (or $2,136 each) more per year then the same positions under Corzine. That is assuming that we accurately accounted for all the actual people under Corzine.

Now, the salaries of the executive branch were frozen since 2006 as part of the plea bargain with the state workers unions who also accepted a freeze. The "raise" piece is a bit of creative reporting. In order for the unions to accept the pay freeze they were contractually guaranteed a 7% raise in 2010. Christie had to honor the contract when the raises were do. So, the story of his office payroll has become intertwined with state union workers raises and people are assuming he gave his staff a raise, he didn't.

So, the governor's staff is paid on average $2,136 per person more than Corzine's when we remove the two staffers for the governor's wife that Corzine didn't need. Also remember that no position in the executive had recieved a raise since 2006. Now, is it not feasible that when staffing his office he would pay people based on what the competitive rates would be? So overall, the average Christie employee makes $75,726.49 ($8.86mil divided by 117) and recieved the equivalent of a 2.8% pay increase versus Corzine's staff whose salaries had been frozen since 2006.

This is just smoke and mirrors and a way to distract people from the real issues and why my initial response wasn't grounded in facts. Are the facts listed above sufficient for you to stop thinking this is a real issue?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

So, the governor's staff is paid on average $2,136 per person more than Corzine's when we remove the two staffers for the governor's wife that Corzine didn't need. Also remember that no position in the executive had recieved a raise since 2006. Now, is it not feasible that when staffing his office he would pay people based on what the competitive rates would be? So overall, the average Christie employee makes $75,726.49 ($8.86mil divided by 117) and recieved the equivalent of a 2.8% pay increase versus Corzine's staff whose salaries had been frozen since 2006.
I would agree with this. However I don't see it as pointless. He is not leading by example, and asked for everyone else to make a cut. Why can't his staff.

However small you make think this is, it irrates people like me, who didn't have a problem with Christie or his cuts. I wanted to teachers to take a pay freeze and contribute to health care, but I expect Chrsities staff to do the same. If we all are going to suffer, good. If only some of us are going to suffer but not his own people, no way.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I would agree with this. However I don't see it as pointless. He is not leading by example, and asked for everyone else to make a cut. Why can't his staff.

However small you make think this is, it irrates people like me, who didn't have a problem with Christie or his cuts. I wanted to teachers to take a pay freeze and contribute to health care, but I expect Chrsities staff to do the same. If we all are going to suffer, good. If only some of us are going to suffer but not his own people, no way.
Well, I can see your point, even if I think it is immaterial. It would have been nice to see Christie trim some "fat" (no pun intended) from his payroll. With that said he has apparently been frugal with some things such as foregoing a seperate media and PR staff for the Lt. Governor which all previous Lt. Governors had. Instead they share the staff between them.

Additionally, I am not upset about him paying his staff a little more or even having more staff if they are qualified, dedicated and are the ones dilligently working on getting us out of this hole.

I think Christie went out and hired the best people he could find to put his plans to work. If Christie's best happen to cost a little more than Corzine's best, I'm cool with that.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
As usual, nobody, Politicians or politician watchers cares to address the real problem in NJ and as a matter of fact the World. It OVERPOPULATION folks plain and simple the cause of every problem you care to mention. It's all the fault of the overpopulationists, you know who they are, the families who have more than two children.

Perhaps they did need some education after all.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
We built out and not up in our cities. We neglected our cities , and invested in our suburbs. Which at the time seemed ok , but now is straining our state's budget. White Flight caused 90% of this problem , thank-god White flight is reserving. I think our future is bright in this state , we need to do some town merging and invest more in our Urban areas. But we need to stop building out , its starting to hurt our rural areas & water supply. We are just starting to reinvest back into our Urban areas , but we need to do more.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Now, the salaries of the executive branch were frozen since 2006 as part of the plea bargain with the state workers unions who also accepted a freeze. The "raise" piece is a bit of creative reporting. In order for the unions to accept the pay freeze they were contractually guaranteed a 7% raise in 2010. Christie had to honor the contract when the raises were do. So, the story of his office payroll has become intertwined with state union workers raises and people are assuming he gave his staff a raise, he didn't.

So one could look at it this way- if Christie had kept the Corzine staffers, they would have received a 7% raise this year per the union contracts, so in reality, Christie's staffers are being paid around 4% lower than Corzine's staff would be right now. Sounds like Christie's staff is participating in the "shared sacrifice" after all.....

Old 05-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So one could look at it this way- if Christie had kept the Corzine staffers, they would have received a 7% raise this year per the union contracts, so in reality, Christie's staffers are being paid around 4% lower than Corzine's staff would be right now. Sounds like Christie's staff is participating in the "shared sacrifice" after all.....

Its a bit of a stretch considering all if not most of the salaries in question are part of any union. I highly doubt they are.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
Its a bit of a stretch considering all if not most of the salaries in question are part of any union. I highly doubt they are.
Read more carefully- the executive branch agreed to a pay freeze in order to get the unions to agree to a freeze- no one said they were part of the union, just that they "shared in the sacrifice".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey