Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 35,113 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a house out in Columbia - Knowlton Twp 07832 (Warren Co) NJ. Looking for any input from anyone who knows the area.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Can you be a little more specific as to what information you are looking for? Schools, taxes, home prices, jobs, shopping etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Mostly what people from the area would describe it as I guess. We saw a house we like, and most of the details I looked up online...(taxes, school testing scores etc.) before looking at the property. We are planning another trip out there soon so we can take a drive around and get a better feel for the area, but any local input about things that aren't "statistics" that I can find on the internet would be great. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM

I have been living in Warren County for 14 years. Relocated here from Essex County. It was quite the culture shock at first.

I lived in Allamuchy for four years, then in Independence Twp. for seven years and I have been in Oxford for the last three years.

I love it here. I could never think of moving back east ever.

However there are some things that you have to get used to.

Long commutes: It takes me an hour to get to my job in Morris County. It's a 47 mile one way commute for me. It bothers me much less now living in Oxford and traveling 78 instead of 80 from where I used to live.

You cannot get good pizza out here: After 14 years I have found "passable" but not good.

Rednecks are plentiful: As long as this doesn't bother you, you will be fine. My husband is one of them so, I'm good.

Shopping is sparse: I'm glad I'm not a big shopper, but it is quite a way to get to a decent mall from here.

Entertainment is sparse: Not too much going on out here.

All this being said, people here are much nicer than some other areas of the State. Columbia/Knowlton is a very beautiful/peaceful area. Just be careful where you are looking to buy. If you are too close to the river there could be flooding issues.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the info.
My husband will be doing the commute to Morris County too. Right now the drive to work for him is about 6 miles so an hour commute will take some getting used to, but he is willing to do it for the right place.

The redneck part doesn't bother me LOL My husband will fit in fine. We both grew up in Morris county, but Warren has always felt like a better fit.

For the most part, do you need to go to either the Hackettstown area or over the river to PA for major shopping? Target, Home Depot...things like that? If so, not a big deal..I'm sure there are smaller local stores for the majority of your everyday needs.

I had to laugh about the pizza. Friends moved from Parsippany to PA a while back and they had a hard time with the pizza there. Each time they came to visit they wanted to order from the place down the road because just wasn't the same out by them.

I'll check into the flood issues. I think it's ok where we were looking, but it cant hurt to find out.

Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM

As far a big box store shopping, you can find it in either Hackettstown or P'Burg.

Here is a list of some of the major stores in each.

Hackettstown/Mansfield:

Lowe's
Home Depot
Kohl's
Walmart
Marshall's
Staples
Shop Rite

P'Burg/Stewartsville:

Lowe's
Home Depot
Target
Walmart
Petco
Shop Rite

In the P'Burg Mall (indoor mall)

Kohl's
Sears
JC Penney
Old Navy

There is also quite a bit of shopping in East Stroudsburg, PA so you might want to go that route instead. However, I'm not as familiar with what exactly is there. I know there is a Super Walmart. It's pretty much just right over the Gap, so not bad at all.

Shout if you have any other questions.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Thanks so much. Knowing that makes it a little easier. It sounds like many of the stores I shop at are fairly close by where we are thinking about relocating to. I realy appreciate all of your help!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,226 times
Hey Calico696, any BJ's, Costco or Sams club in the area?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
My husband's job is relocating and we are moving now but we have lived here for 6 years. if you want the skinny--email me privately. I also have a house for sale at an incredible price (we have no choice!)--it is a 4+bedroom colonial and in a perfect location near the elem school in an historic village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey