Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM

46 posts, read 262,061 times

Advertisements

We are located in Bergen County. Any good recommendation for exterminator to get rid of house ants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Don't know of any exterminator but if you do something yourself, definitely get this boric acid dust. Works on ants besides roaches and silverfish. Not harmful or cancer causing either unless you have pets or a child that may ingest it.

Used this in my apartment and bugs have fled the scene lol...good for ants too.
Amazon.com: Boric Acid Insecticidal Dust: Home & Garden

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

46 posts, read 262,061 times
Thanks mgt04. Unfortunately, we can't use boric acid dust since we have a 2 year old and 2 dogs in the house. My husband has been spraying the lawn and exterior with organic pesticide and we are still finding ants all over the house. It's getting worst day by day.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM

280 posts, read 603,540 times
First what I did after the ants discovered the little crumbs of food my little one left on the ground, was to vacuum twice a day to make sure there was nothing for them to come in for.

Second line of defense was to "draw" borderline along the walls, sliding doors with stinky stuff they could not stand. It worked! Here is what they hated: lots of plain distilled vinegar (okay to soak the floor a bit), sprinkled ground up cloves (lots!), cinnamon (lots!), and bay leaves. I actually let my kid use his toy trucks to do the work with the ground up spices. It was fun and it worked! But we had to check on the ants everyday (!) as the borderline got "used up" throughout the day.

As the worker ants come in they leave a scent behind them. Once you destroy that scent for them, they won't be able to go back to get more of their friends, lol!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,183 times
This week only Wal-Mart has a sale on anteaters...not sure how much.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times
not sure, but maybe these guys can help you: safegreensolution.com

Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
First what I did after the ants discovered the little crumbs of food my little one left on the ground, was to vacuum twice a day to make sure there was nothing for them to come in for.

Second line of defense was to "draw" borderline along the walls, sliding doors with stinky stuff they could not stand. It worked! Here is what they hated: lots of plain distilled vinegar (okay to soak the floor a bit), sprinkled ground up cloves (lots!), cinnamon (lots!), and bay leaves. I actually let my kid use his toy trucks to do the work with the ground up spices. It was fun and it worked! But we had to check on the ants everyday (!) as the borderline got "used up" throughout the day.

As the worker ants come in they leave a scent behind them. Once you destroy that scent for them, they won't be able to go back to get more of their friends, lol!
My mother use to use cinnamon too. Not only do they not like the scent, but they don't like the texture either. It's funny because I would think cinnamon would fill like dirt. It works on most of them but some species can tolerate it. I have a lot of ants in my apartment right now too, and I would have never thought I would since I am on the second floor. They are really annoying, but my 2 year old seems to like to play with them.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
This week only Wal-Mart has a sale on anteaters...not sure how much.

Lol, If they were I would highly consider buying one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey