Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

I got a 2 point ticket and they want me to pay $150 a year for the next 3 years

Very excessive for such a minor offense.

Do I really have to pay this? When did these fines get so high????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I got a 2 point ticket and they want me to pay $150 a year for the next 3 years

Very excessive for such a minor offense.

Do I really have to pay this? When did these fines get so high????

Sure you only have 2 points on your drivers license record????

Your record is reviewed every time points are added to it. If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 surcharge plus $25 for each additional point.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Sure you only have 2 points on your drivers license record????

Your record is reviewed every time points are added to it. If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 surcharge plus $25 for each additional point.
I have 6 total points in the last 3 years. 4 of those points happened in NY state (and then the recent ticket, making 6 points total).

The notice i got in the mail seemed to indicate that i have to pay $150, for 3 consecutive years, which is outrageous in my opinion.

I will be pleasantly surprised if this is not the case however

Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I have 6 total points in the last 3 years. 4 of those points happened in NY state (and then the recent ticket, making 6 points total).

The notice i got in the mail seemed to indicate that i have to pay $150, for 3 consecutive years, which is outrageous in my opinion.

I will be pleasantly surprised if this is not the case however
The surcharge will remain in effect as long as six or more points are posted in the preceding three years.

Just try to drive one year without a moving violation..you save $$$$$..it will be minus 2 points then you have only 4 points.

"Certain traffic offenses, including speeding and other moving violations, are automatically reported to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. New Jersey routinely provides information concerning traffic ticket convictions to other states and Canadian provinces and vice versa."

Last edited by carlo2009; 05-17-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Step 1: Plead not guilty.
Step 2: Go to traffic court. (This is an extremely entertaining experience, actually!)
Step 3: Talk to the prosecutor and plead down to a BS offense w/ no points.
Step 4: Enjoy your surcharge-free life.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
As long as you have 6 or more points on your license you have to pay the fee. The easiest way to avoid it is to go to court and plea down the charge to something without points, but you will also pay surcharges at the court if you plea down a point bearing charge to a non-point bearing charge. Generally it is better to pay the fees upfront at court and avoid the license points, surcharge and insurance rate hike.

I had to pay a surcharge the past two years do to my own stupidity. I got a 2 point ticket a couple years ago and had no points on my license and if you have 2 points or less my insurance company doesn't charge more. Just about a year later I got another ticket for using the shoulder for all of 15 feet to enter a right hand turn lane. I decided not to go to court and just paid the ticket. Big mistake. Turns out that 15 feet of shoulder was worth 4 points on my license and it was slightly less than a year since the 2 point ticket. Stupid of me, but my wife was a couple weeks away from giving birth when I got the ticket and I had a lot of other things on my mind.

The surcharge came and I had two options. One was to pay the surcharge in full. The other was to make 6 equal payments. I made the payments and they were about $25 a month for 6 months. You can pay it online using their website and it's pretty convenient. Just don't forget to make your payments as they will suspend your license for failure to pay.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
This has been going on for maybe a decade or more. The younger kids sometimes wind up paying thousands per year for surcharges. Yes it's very real as in it only gets more expensive if you don't pay it, they suspend your license and you have to pay an extra $100 restoral fee, and even if you move out of NJ they still bug you for it.

One thing that really got my goat was NY sending me a letter once that they could surcharge me in NY even though I never had a NY license, etc. That really irked me, I sent them back a letter telling them where they could shove that and that at least people in the real USA (NJ, etc) know how to drive over 40 mph on an expressway, lol.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As long as you have 6 or more points on your license you have to pay the fee. The easiest way to avoid it is to go to court and plea down the charge to something without points, but you will also pay surcharges at the court if you plea down a point bearing charge to a non-point bearing charge. Generally it is better to pay the fees upfront at court and avoid the license points, surcharge and insurance rate hike.
I plead guilty thinking i would just pay like $150 and get it over with

Does anyone know if I can go to drivers education classes or something and get some points shaven off? How do i go about that?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
You can take an online course to knock off 2 points a year I think. Search online, I think there are several.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM

132 posts, read 631,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
You can take an online course to knock off 2 points a year I think. Search online, I think there are several.
You can take an online course to reduce 2 points from your DMV points total for lower auto insurance but it does not apply to the DMV surchage points. As previous posters mentioned, surcharge points follow their own 3 year period.

For example: You have 6 points. Auto insurance will jack up premium from those 6 points for the next 3 to 4 years. DMV wacks you with the surcharges for the next 3 years.
You take safety driving course to shave off 2 points. Auto insurance will continue with the high premium until the 3 to 4 years are up before recalculating premiums from DMV points. DMV surcharge continues to wack you.

However, when you inquire with a different auto insurance company, they view current points which would include the 2 points reduction and thus able to offer lower insurance premiums.

Definitely worth checking. I had the same problem with ticket driving on shoulder 10 feet from turn -major bumper to bumper traffic. Due to prior points, ended up with 6 points. Insurance went through the roof but switching saved almost a grand. To this day I still curse at the cop who was hiding behind the bushes to ticket drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey