Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times

Advertisements

Nice group of people. I called the governor's office today and got into a little discussion with one of his aides. She mentioned to me that we need to fix the education funding system because its not fair that Camden receives 18k per child, opposed to a suburban school educating a child with only 9k. I explained to her some of the reason urban areas cost more which included higher ratio of special ed students, much higher number of lep students and so on and so forth. I also mentioned that a lot of these parent work long hard hours at factories. The then hits me with this line which honestly I couldnt believe. "You should look at Camden were most parents are sitting there and collecting welfare".
Not for nothing but how does this person know who collects what in Camden? This just shows me the lack of respect this "crew" has for the lower socioeconomic group.
I asked her for her name but she would not give it to me. From now on I will get names before we start our "chat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,766,068 times
What does collecting welfare have to do with anything?

The facts do show however, that in these urbans areas (Newark, Paterson, Camden, etc) almost twice the amount of $ is spent per pupil then in suburban areas.

Parenting is a huge factor in how well kids do in school. This should not be a surprise to anyone.
having brand new $2000 computers does not make kids do better in school... Its the teachers and parents that do that.

I live in North Jersey and a lot of my friends have graduated in the last few years looking to become teachers. They do not want to teach in Paterson. They dont want to deal with the students or the parents. And can you really blame them? Given the choice of course you would choose a suburban district.

Its a tough situation, but throwing a load of money at the problem really does nothing to help the situation.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
[quote=GiantRutgersfan;14237326.....
Its a tough situation, but throwing a load of money at the problem really does nothing to help the situation.[/QUOTE]

It only makes sense to those who are on the receiving end of all that cash.

18K per head and it's still not enough? Give me a break.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
Ask the parents, or should I say mothers/grandmothers/aunts, raising these kids whats wrong?
Where are the fathers? Rahway? Anyway.
Take stock of your own.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Nice group of people. I called the governor's office today and got into a little discussion with one of his aides. She mentioned to me that we need to fix the education funding system because its not fair that Camden receives 18k per child, opposed to a suburban school educating a child with only 9k. I explained to her some of the reason urban areas cost more which included higher ratio of special ed students, much higher number of lep students and so on and so forth. I also mentioned that a lot of these parent work long hard hours at factories. The then hits me with this line which honestly I couldnt believe. "You should look at Camden were most parents are sitting there and collecting welfare".
Not for nothing but how does this person know who collects what in Camden? This just shows me the lack of respect this "crew" has for the lower socioeconomic group.
I asked her for her name but she would not give it to me. From now on I will get names before we start our "chat".
If this really happened, which I doubt....I would agree more with the anonymous aide than you. I wouldn't even start with trying to defend the huge amount of dollars thrown at Camden (and other Abbott districts) to most unsuccessfully educate the kids there.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
If this really happened, which I doubt....I would agree more with the anonymous aide than you. I wouldn't even start with trying to defend the huge amount of dollars thrown at Camden (and other Abbott districts) to most unsuccessfully educate the kids there.
Me thinks the same....either fabricated or embellished to the max...a Christie aide just chatting on the phone with some unknown total stranger about Abbott Schools and welfare

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 AM

160 posts, read 375,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I agree. Abbott districts receive 58% of all educational funding, yet educate only 23% of NJ's students. Who the hell would have made such a call to Trenton in the first place? I'm surprised the aide didn't tell him to S*T*F*U.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:02 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The facts do show however, that in these urbans areas (Newark, Paterson, Camden, etc) almost twice the amount of $ is spent per pupil then in suburban areas.

Parenting is a huge factor in how well kids do in school. This should not be a surprise to anyone.
having brand new $2000 computers does not make kids do better in school... Its the teachers and parents that do that.
Exactly. Me thinks a good number of parents are absentee or could just care less about their offspring and school is just a means of free daycare for a lot of them.

OP, your hard-on for anything anti-Christi is always amusing. Tell me, did you even call Christie's office? I would bet the farm that you didn't.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Not for nothing but you guys who think I am making the story up are really insane. Why would I make up such a dumb story? What exactly does this get me or anybody on here? I am just reporting what happened. If you dont think it did, somethiing must be wrong with what the aide said. The call was made at exactly 8:30 a.m. when the aides first start answering calls. Not sure what the big deal is. She actually was ranting against abbott funding. I was very shocked she got into the welfare stuff but hell thats her opinion. While I am very anti Christie lying about something do dumb really doesn't help your argument. Think what you will and I guess the aide was out of line the way you guys are painting it.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times
He's doing what he promised to do, what the majority of voters in NJ want him to do. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey