Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM

264 posts, read 878,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Accurate post, and I agree about the fact that most people who live on Long Island were born and raised on Long Island. In NJ i feel like there are soooo many people from all over the country (and world) who live here.

Your comparison of Berkeley Heights, NJ and Port Washington, LI is surprising. However, on the average, NJ and Long Island are equally expensive.

NJ to me = Long Island without the nightmarish traffic. So NJ wins IMO.
Lol traffic can be pretty horrific on Long Island..especially when you head towards the South Shore [have hardly ever had a good traffic experience driving on the Sunrise Highway]...the North Shore isn't as bad in terms of traffic..due to lower population density.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
Lol traffic can be pretty horrific on Long Island..especially when you head towards the South Shore [have hardly ever had a good traffic experience driving on the Sunrise Highway]...the North Shore isn't as bad in terms of traffic..due to lower population density.
I had to drive from Middlesex Cty. to Garden City on occasion for a job. SI Expressway is a mess, over the Verrazano to the Belt Pkwy which crawls and each lane is about 6 feet wide and then to the Southern State. I used to give myself 2.5 hours in the morning and I needed every minute of it. I think I could've driven to Baltimore faster.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgirl33 View Post
I agree. It is so different here just still trying to adjust. I have lived all over the world and this has been the hardest adjustment so far. Thanks for the info.
Long Island and NJ are very different from the south. I am from LI, and moved to TN from Manalapan, NJ. In Nashville where I live we have people from all over the United States, and many from Europe also, especially England but they have learned about Southern Hospitality which you don't find much up north. There are some but people are more involved in themselves.
For instance at my club here(Its a womens Social club, $24 a year) one of the ladies has her father living with her and needs some help, so everyone set a time to go over and help out so she can get out of the house at least once a week. You would never find that in NY and NJ. Its going to take you awhile to adjust but you will. I actually don't think I could ever readjust again.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM

265 posts, read 597,332 times
I was born and raised on Long Island... aside from college, I lived there til I was in my early 40s. I've been in NJ for the past four years. My take:

BEACHES: The beaches on LI are nicer than NJ and more accessable. Robert Moses did a lot of damage, in my opinion, to the area, but the one thing he did right was not allowing development near the beach. Compare Point Pleasant or other ugly beaches with Jones Beach, TOBAY or Fire Island. LI WINS

TRAFFIC: The closer you get to NYC, the worse traffic gets - this is true in either location. NJ has the advantage of ease of access to the rest of the world without crossing a bridge and going through the city. The Belt between JFK and the Verazzano is impossible at almost any hour, as is the creeping traffic has you exit the Midtown Tunnel and head to Queens Blvd. Equally bad are the exits and entrances to the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels. NJ WINS due to access to the rest of the US.

GAS: Less expensive and pumped for ya! NJ WINS

TAXES: Dense populations drive up costs... whether you pay higher property taxes, higher income taxes or clothing tax, ya gotta pay no matter what. TIE SCORE

SCHOOLS: Some are good, some are not as good... TIE SCORE

HOUSING: Locations are similar, but you get away from congested areas more quickly in NJ than LI. Prices are fairly comparable. NJ WINS (Narrow win)

COMMUTE: LI has the LIRR or your car, and that's IT. NJ has NJ Transit, PATH, bus lines, and ferries. NJ WINS

RESTAURANTS/RECREATION: Depends on your tastes... both have lots to offer.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM

192 posts, read 298,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
Traffic is not exactly a Sunday joy ride on the north shore either.....

Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
also I would point out the people on LI are more direct and in your face as they are new yorkers compared to the people who live in NJ. Its a little more urban feel there. It all depends on your preference of enviornment.

This all depends where in jersey you're talking about. If you're comparing long island to urban jersey (newark, jersey city, paterson, elizabeth, and all other small cities) there is no comparison as to what has a more urban feel. on the other hand if you're comparing it to suburban towns in jersey then yes.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
LI highways have too much choke points and traffic quite bad, but less tolls.

I hate driving to LI, you have 3-5 mi of open road then suddenly bad exits with jam packed with cars trying to gtfo.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:38 PM

116 posts, read 218,956 times
This thread began in 2010. I would hope the original poster has moved by now.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 AM

25 posts, read 131,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
This thread began in 2010. I would hope the original poster has moved by now.
Yes we moved to NJ in 2010. We rented for about a year and then ended up in Parsippany and brought our house in 2012. Paid about $472K for a decent 4 bedroom house with half acre lot, two car garage and finished basement. Nothing fancy but works fine for us. Commute is one hour and tweenty mins to Manhattan by Lakeland Bus. My taxes are about $12K a year. The house is priced higher by the town and with the help of lawyer was able to reduce taxes by $1K.

To me Parsppany is like any other NJ town with more Indians than average. We are originally from a country close to India so not a big deal. Few people in this country care about one's race or color. Some do but life is too short to pay attention to those people.

Parsippany school district is average and nothing to cry or cringe about. To us its about parenting and child's ambition and drive that will determine her success in life not the school's ranking.

I did not realize this thread had gone for so long and so many posts. Thank you all for contributing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey