Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 PM

90 posts, read 182,770 times

Advertisements

I am from Fort Lauderdale, FL it's an okay city but I really can't stand living here anymore. The Summers are brutal, and South Florida is now like a third world country. If you've been here, you should know. Florida has also been hit especially hard with the economy, people are moving out of state like crazy, and there are literally NO JOBS. That is, unless you would like to be a shot girl, bartender, or waitress.

Anyway, I need a change of scenery. I want to meet new people and just try something different. I've been thinking of moving to NJ for awhile now because I've always loved NYC, but I don't want to actually live in the city. I just want to live nearby. I've also visited NJ a few times and I can see myself living there. I like it. But I really don't know where in NJ would be suitable for me to live? I plan on finding an apartment, definitely living with a roommate, and maybe pay ~$600 in rent...is that possible? It would also be great if the city/town/etc. wasn't too suburban/family oriented, just because I am single, and young...I would like to be able to meet people around my age. I am open to anywhere in NJ. What do you guys suggest?

-Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Well, NJ's unemployment rate is nothing to crow about either, but Florida's is higher. I'm in my 20s and live in the Shore area, which is a nice place to live as there is tons of nightlife and young people. From my observations, this is a very North Jersey-centric forum, so you're going to get a lot of suggestions for places up there. I honestly don't think $600 is do-able in most parts of New Jersey at all, though. It's the most expensive place in American to live - especially when you start getting into places like Hoboken and other towns close to NYC. From your description, Hoboken is actually the no-brainer, but rents get into the $2,000/mo range and above very quickly there...

Also, please please please, don't take suggestions from people who tell you to move to cities like Newark or Camden. If you're complaining about South Florida being a third world country, well....

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM

131 posts, read 420,222 times
For cheap rent and an area that's close to NYC? I'd look at parts of Bayonne, Jersey City, or even towns in southern Bergen County.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:08 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,583 times
Please be very careful. That is so far below market rates even for studios in the towns close to NY that anything you could find is likely to be in a bad neighborhood.

There are shares available but you have to be awfully careful about your potential roomies. Personally I'd never share with someone I didn't already know. Too many possibilities for disaster, from crime to financial dishonesty to incompatible habits.

That said, I might know of something in Weehawken in close to that price range. It's not a middle class apartment - it's in a small building and the other tenants are recent immigrants who speak Spanish. The neighborhood is very decent and it's very close to NYC. DM me if you want more info.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
This has bad idea written all over it.

I am the same age as you, and very few of my friends are involved in an actual career. The economy is not good up here.

I dont know a single person within a couple years of me who lives on their own. The college grads/people who didnt go to college are either living in a party house with 3+ roommates or living at home with their parents.

And many of my friends have left the area.

If you are set on living in/near a big city in the Jersey area, look at the Philly area.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
$600/mo with a roommate is VERY possible (just make sure you get a job situated), look into Montclair, Rutherford, West New York, Ridgefield Park, and more. Now if you can't get a roommate or change your mind, shoot down the state more and look around Keyport/Keansburg where NYC is under 40 miles with the advantage of being near the beach for a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 AM

90 posts, read 182,770 times
Thank you everyone...yes, I am aware that I am not going to find a single apartment with $600 rent. What I mean is that I want to pay MY half at around $600 with a roommate (or two? I don't really mind). I don't need to live 10 minutes away from NYC. I'm just saying it would be nice to live close enough to visit every once and while. Ninasimonejr, I don't mind taking the risk of living with someone I don't know, because I've already got a horror story of living with someone who I did know very well (or so I thought..) And to GiantRutgersfan, FL has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country right now. Ours is a very service based economy, and with less people visiting, more people leaving and now this oil spill...who knows how long it will take for us to get out of this rut. Although I'm not discounting your experience up there, I know everyone has been affected.

I will take a look at your suggestions and see what I think. Even more would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Get 2 roommates and find a 3 BD in Jersey City. I paid $535 for a room in a pretty large apt close to Journal Square in Jersey City.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
I would check into Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Bloomfield, Clifton. These towns have quick and easy access to NYC and are near major highways. Montclair is pricey.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,130 times
For $600 rent close to NYC your best bet would be Jersey City.. just research its "parts" - for example JSQ area is safe so is majority of heights, and you MIGHT be able to rent studio in heights for $600 or find a rent share on Craigslist to split with a roommate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey