Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 22,001 times

Advertisements

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour... - Google Maps

Hey guys, I'd appreciate any tips advice on Secaucus NJ. I am going to be working in midtown Manhattan and want to buy a 2-3 bed townhome in Secaucus. My concerns are safety, and proximity to public transport (to NYC).

I am looking at a house located on the street in the map above (just off Centre Avenue). What is this neighbourhood like? Safe? Close to shops? How far from the train station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,636,634 times
Quote:
My concerns are safety, and proximity to public transport (to NYC).
No issues for either. Bus service to and from NYC (Port authority) ids great with buses running every few minutes on the main route. You will have to walk over to Front Street to catch a NY bus. A few blocks making it an easy walk.

Neighborhood's fine but traffic on school days gets brisk with everyone dropping off and picking up kids. The gate at Fifth St. is opened at 11:45am and closed at 2:30pm. Traffic through that gate has dropped off greatly after many of the retail establishments closed. The commercial area has lost many tenants over the years. By 6pm the area is very quiet and traffic on Pandolfi drops off.

There is a shuttle to the train station. Parking is not cheap. Bus travel to and from the city can be easy or hard. weather or mva's can stall it making a 20 minute trip into hours. You never know.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I've also been looking at the Riverside Court development in Secaucus. It is a gated community of modern townhomes. Anyone have any info on it? Also, I've tried finding out myself but just cannot located exactly where the Secaucus train station (into NYC) is? It is far from the residential area? How many minutes drive?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM

204 posts, read 633,112 times
the schedule for the shuttle

http://www.secaucusnj.org/web_conten...s_Schedule.pdf

rscalzo:

Do you have any idea about the parking at 45 Meadowlands Parkway? Is it free for town residents or do I have to pay for a pass somewhere?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,636,634 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea about the parking at 45 Meadowlands Parkway? Is it free for town residents or do I have to pay for a pass somewhere?
No idea. I'd call the Town Clerk's office 201-330-2017 and ask. The program was started after I left. As they just hired a Parking Enforcement Officer with the intention of having him assigned evening hours and weekends to the Meadowland Parkway area, some costs must be involved. I'm guessing they leased the parking area and charge to cover those costs.

Last edited by rscalzo; 05-26-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 28,037 times
I believe Riverside Court has a bus stop right at the communities front gate. It's a nice development built by Baker Residential right on the Hackensack River. If I remember correctly, there is a clubhouse, outdoor pool, etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 AM

Many thanks for the comments everyone. I finally took a look at Riverside Court. Nice houses but I have decided to focus my search elsewhere in Secaucus.

Is anyone familiar with Cedar Lane in Secaucus? It is a quiet area/street at the back of Paterson Plank Rd and Roosevelt ave (near the Turnpike and Route 3). Also close to the Municipal building and Green Valley Court condos/apartment buildings. Anyone have any thoughts on this area?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 22,321 times
Cedar Lane is close to the bus that goes to the city. The condos they're building there look nice, although it's rather odd that they're right behind Zin diner.

I would stay away from the Green Valley Ct condos. I know people who live there and it was not a very pleasant experience. Strict management, they constantly towed the residents, and if you were a guest and didn't have a badge on you at all times (as in, if you were standing in the parking lot), one of the old ladies on the board would just yell at you, in front of everyone to "GET OUT! OUT!!" I would know, it happened to me while visiting said friends there... And needless to say, they have since moved out and enjoyed living elsewhere!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,164 times
Harmon Cove is the best place in Secaucus. Very safe, very beautiful, a piece of heaven....Lived here for 11 years. The schools are good. the commute is THE BEST. you have the Secaucus Junction train station with parking, and a shuttle.
Secaucus has 3 or 4 bus lines to NYC and Hoboken. Harmon Cove has 2 bus stops inside the community . Very convenient!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,931,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichik View Post
Harmon Cove is the best place in Secaucus. Very safe, very beautiful, a piece of heaven....Lived here for 11 years. The schools are good. the commute is THE BEST. you have the Secaucus Junction train station with parking, and a shuttle.
Secaucus has 3 or 4 bus lines to NYC and Hoboken. Harmon Cove has 2 bus stops inside the community . Very convenient!
Harmon Cove is NOTORIOUS for its problems with water leakage issues into their condos. Just google it and you'll see all the issues they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey