Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 PM

10 posts, read 20,887 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a nice neighborhood with a good elementry school in southern Jersey or Philadelpha suburb because I acceted a job in philadelphia (Temle university). I have a high functioning autistc child who will be going to regular kindergaten with a shadow. I really need a suportive school district. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in adance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
This will probably get moved to the South Jersey section...

My first question would be home price. People ask for recommendations all the time and always fail to include what their price range is. There are many excellent communities/school districts, but I wouldn't want to recommend Haddonfield unless your budget could swing $450k+ for a decent house.

I think the best normal community compromise is Haddon Twp. They have an excellent school system that is smaller and very community oriented with all of the resources your child will need. Additionally it lies along the PATCO line and you would have easy access to the Collingswood, Westmont or Haddonfield stations to get into the city.

Collingswood is an interesting choice as well. They are well known in the area for a top notch special education/special needs program in the school district, but the education quality falls off in Collingswood at the High School level. It's not horrible, just not as good as other nearby options.

If you're on more of a budget Audubon can be an excellent choice. Solid school district with all the programs you'll need and definitely more affordable than Haddon Twp. or even Collingswood.

Outside of those traditional Camden County towns you couldn't go wrong with Cherry Hill or Moorestown if the budget can swing it. Cherry Hill is a large town and you would really need to do your homework as to what areas/schools would be the best for your situation. Moorestown is one of the most desirable towns in the state and if you could afford it, you definitely can't go wrong there.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 AM

681 posts, read 1,511,818 times
I would second NJGOAT's advice. Collingswood ( I live here ) would get you a cheaper house than say Haddonfield. You would also be closer to Temple but people don't generally move to Collingswood for the schools. Haddonfield is top notch but so is the real estate and taxes. Moorestown is know for its autistic support but again, $$$$. Your happy medium would be Haddon Twp. Close to Temple, good schools and better price tag.
Keep in mind that Governor Christie is in the process of dessimating NJ public schools. You may want to do alot of homework to see what school districts are keeping in terms of staff and programs in the next 2-3 years if you are relying on special needs. Classrooms are about to get very crowded over here.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM

thanks NJgoat and GraysferryB4. I'm actually planning to rent for a year then if happy with the school district will buy. I can afford upto $2500 for rent. Do you think I can find a rental in this price range?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 PM

thanks NJgoat and GraysferryB4. I'm actually planning to rent for a year then if happy with the school district will buy. I can afford upto $2500 for rent. Do you think I can find a rental in this price range in Moorestown or Haddonfield?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM

njmom - I replied to your post in the South Jersey section. I think Moorestown would be an excellent fit for your needs and budget.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,818 times
With that much of a rental budget, you should be fine in Moorestown. Again, whatever school district you use, be careful to inquire about the sustainability of their programs based on Governor Christies cuts! Good news is that the 2010-2011 Moorestown school budget DID pass.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Default full day kindergarten

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I called school districts of all recommended towns by members of this forum. Talking with them I learned south Jersey towns only offer half day kindergarten. This was very surprising to me. I was thinking maybe I should look into Pennsylvania side suburbs of Philadelphia and the question would be what towns would be a good option for my situation.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom101 View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my post. I called school districts of all recommended towns by members of this forum. Talking with them I learned south Jersey towns only offer half day kindergarten. This was very surprising to me. I was thinking maybe I should look into Pennsylvania side suburbs of Philadelphia and the question would be what towns would be a good option for my situation.
You will get the best answer to this question on the Philadelphia board.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

njmom, not all towns offer only half day kindergarten, however, I think some have been cut back do to the budget issues. I do know that Moorestown only ever offered half day. However, were you specific about your sons needs? I think many of them offer full day programs for students with special needs that start at 3 years old with the goal of mainstreaming later down the line in 1st grade.

As for the PA suburbs, definitely ask over on the PA/Philadelphia forum you will get way more educated responses there. However, I think you will find as many have that it is easier to find desirable housing and schools with an easy commutes to Philly on the NJ side, than it is to find the same on the PA side. Good towns and schools are plentiful in PA, but many of them are much more difficult of a commute into Philly than what you will find living in NJ. For instance, the commute from Moorestown is as little as 30 minutes even at rush hour if you drive in. West Chester is a similar community, but your commute would be over an hour.

If your only hang up is full day vs. half day Kindergarten, I would still default to the better towns in NJ and swallow the bill for private full day Kindergarten for the year and guarantee yourself the easier commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey