Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times

Advertisements

tom1944 pointed out the key. It really is all about total compensation.

On the healthcare front, there are many variables beyond the split, co-pays or even monthly cost. How much is the employer paying? What procedures are covered/not covered? Is there a lifetime cap? What is the annual maximum deductible? What perscriptions are covered?

You stated the plan was an 80/20 split. I have that too. However, I cap out at $1k per individual per year or $2k for the family, so not really 80/20. Anyway you dice it, most teachers have fantastic health benefits and based on total cost (district+contribution) many are considered "Cadillac" plans.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM

249 posts, read 649,919 times
I agree, total comp is important factor. I am a school nurse and I will tell you straight up I left the hospital 12 hour shifts for the education system mainly for better benefits ! the pension, the 187 working days, the 6 1/2 hours work days, and great free medical and dental benefits. Im not saying it didn't come at a price as I gave up about 20 to 25K a year .

Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,250 times
vkv- but 61/2 hours may not apply to a teacher that has papers to grade and lesson plans to prepare. As a school nurse your job is different than a teacher.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
You really need to look at total compensation for any job. Lets say you have poor coverage for health care and mine is great but your salary is $15k higher. To complain about someones job and cherry pick the portion of the compensation package that are better than yours without comparing the entire package is really not valid. Yes some government jobs are better than some private sector jobs but they are also not as good as others.
Agreed. However you have teachers (like the posts above) who can't understand how their plan is so great when they only pay $150 a month for a parent / child. That is way out of touch with reality.

At least say "I only pay $150 a month for great benefits, but I get shafted on my salary. That I could (maybe) buy.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 PM

162 posts, read 312,809 times
my private sector insurance kicks the crap out of my wife's teacher health insurance plan. and i dont pay a dime for mine and my wife has been paying into here benfits for the last couple of years

Old 05-28-2010, 01:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That isn't Cadillac that's Bentley..$150 per month amounts to $37.50 a week
I pay more than that for just dental & vision....no health as hubbie carries that

You really need a reality check on what the private sector shells out for health insurance versus public employees.
I work for a big company not some small mom & pop operation
When I worked for a private pharm company I had much better insurance and paid nothing for it. So for me this is not great insurance. Not bad but not great.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,929,906 times
My husband is not a teacher, but works for a Board of Ed. He pays $75 per month for family medical. Dental is free. Our office visit co-pays are $10, ER co-pay $25, mail-away 90 day supply of Rx $0 co-pay (yes....$0 co-pay) and most Rxs filled at the pharmacy are under $3.

We do realized that this is an unbelievable deal. We would also would have no problem with paying more than $75 per month, if that is what is necessary to do.

BTW, if he were to "opt out" of medical coverage, they would pay him $8,500 per year to do so.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Yeah a reality check is needed, no doubt. $150 a month for a parent and kid is nothing. And I bet they get dental and vision in that number.
I have no vision plan and the dental was so bad for the money that I opted out.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
You really need to look at total compensation for any job. Lets say you have poor coverage for health care and mine is great but your salary is $15k higher. To complain about someones job and cherry pick the portion of the compensation package that are better than yours without comparing the entire package is really not valid. Yes some government jobs are better than some private sector jobs but they are also not as good as others.
This is the crux of the matter.

I would be willing to pay more for health insurance and even switch to a 401k similar to those in private industry if my salary was comensurate with PI. Even if my 49K was brought up to the 70-80k I would be making in private industry (obviously adjusted for 10 months) the tax payer would still pay less.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM

858 posts, read 2,992,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
My husband is not a teacher, but works for a Board of Ed. He pays $75 per month for family medical. Dental is free. Our office visit co-pays are $10, ER co-pay $25, mail-away 90 day supply of Rx $0 co-pay (yes....$0 co-pay) and most Rxs filled at the pharmacy are under $3.

We do realized that this is an unbelievable deal. We would also would have no problem with paying more than $75 per month, if that is what is necessary to do.

BTW, if he were to "opt out" of medical coverage, they would pay him $8,500 per year to do so.
Oh my gosh folks, this is more than a cadilac plan, plus $8,500 to opt out, and it's not just teachers; as I understand it, all/most state and municipal employees have the same choices (not sure if everyone has the $8,500 opt out provision which is just sick.)

As a Federal employee, my BlueCross/Blue Shield family plan is significantly different and more costly than NJ public employee plans.
My costs are:
Biweekly premium is $108.91.
Physician co-pays: $30-$35
Prescription co-pays: $35-$45
Emergency Room Visit: $75
In-Patient hospital stay: $150/day up to $750 per visit

Dental and vision are available at extra cost.

Additionally, I pay for the benefits into retirement, and costs go up every year.

But NJ public employees get free health benefits for life; Who else gets free health benefits for life?

I'm not saying we should make NJ Public employees give back everything, but they do need to realize that others, to include those making similar wages, and in many cases less, and are contributing significantly more than they are.

I know some folks are saying it's not the workers. it's the unions, well if the workers were really serious about cost sharing, the unions would know it, and would not keep fighting.

How can the general public be expected to sympathize with public employees?

No wonder NJ is going broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey