Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by his diva! View Post
so after reading all of this i have gathered that it is legal to run your plates when you have done nothing wrong. My husband is a black man whom is driving a BMW and every single time we are pulled over?? Really?? and that is supposed to be ok?? no something needs to be done about this. I am truly ready to move from our town, let them pull over the next black man driving a luxury car!!

That's what happens, I am also a black male and I drive a Lincoln Navigator and I have been pulled over 4 times since I moved to NJ about a year ago. I have been pulled over here in NJ in the 13 months I have lived here as much as I was pulled over in my 26 years living in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Oh and I forgot to post this, good thing somebody brought this thread back up, but for the people who were saying that the money for citations goes to the state not the city/township is absolutely WRONG. When a citation is given the direct money from the citation goes to where ever you got pulled over at, then you are issued a "surcharge" which is the money that goes to the state. So they both make out from tickets being given.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Afraid not. Better check your facts. Only the court costs and a small portion stay with the issuing jurisdiction for Title 39 violations.

Quote:
I have been pulled over 4 times since I moved to NJ about a year ago
Maybe you're just a lousy driver. Years back one of my patrol officers pulled a vehicle over for a violation. The first words out of the driver's mouth was "you only pulled me over because I'm black". Unfortunatly they never bothered to look closely as the officer was black himself. The next comment was "guess that's not going to work". If is wasn't recorded I would never have believed it.

NJ is at or beyond 50 percent minorities of one kind or another. Claiming you were pulled over solely because you are a minority??? The line of stopped vehicles would extend from one border to the other. No doubt it happens at times. Every time? No way. Simply an excuse. It never ceased to amaze me how one could pull a vehicle over when every fairly new vehicle has tinted window making the determination of race after sundown impossible. Yet claims are still made the stop was based on race.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Cops are not allowed to be on the road, I don't think it is legal unless we citizens grant them specific permission to investigate or respond to something we have called them for, or they are on a food run.

The person claiming to be pulled over 4 times recently, well that's why they have DWB laws in NJ.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 PM

147 posts, read 389,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
You can be pulled over anytime by a police officer...even if you didn't do anything wrong.
It's called a motor vehicle spot check and its legal to do in NJ.

" I commuted everyday 67 miles one way to work..one time I was pulled over (on my way home after 67 miles of driving) for no reason and told its just a motor vehicle spot check, the officer asked where I lived..told him your looking at it..he pulled me over after 67 miles of driving and 8 hours of working right in front of my own house. Told me have a nice nite, not complaining and told him keep up the good work."

Wait a few months when NJ Motor Vehicle Commission stops the state's inspections for vehicle mechanical problems (only emission test needed to be done by state inspections)..it leaves it up to the police now to enforce the mechanical parts...vehicles will be pulled over galore!

Your tail lite is out..sorry $45 fine! ( Bulb cost $1.89 and takes a few minutes to replace..that $45 fine is going to hurt people in the wallet or possible save lives).
Those involve cases where there is a violation of the law even if trivial. The police can't single out your car to stop for no reason. But the ACLU did a study a few years ago showing that 92% of cars have something that can be used as justification.

According to attorneys M Belli, AP Wilkinson. (Everybody's Guide to the Law. New York: Harper and Row):
A police officer may stop and question a person "only if [the officer] has an articulable and reasonable suspicion [of] criminal activity." Such suspicion does not in itself justify a search of the person. Unless you are actually arrested, a police officer may search ('frisk') you "only if the officer has a reasonable belief that you are carrying a weapon." The standard to justify an arrest--probable cause of criminal activity--is much higher.

The legal standard justifying search of a car is also higher. Unless you give them permission, police may search your car only if they have "probable cause to believe that contraband or evidence of a crime is in your car....Of course, a police officer can't single your car out for no reason...There must be sufficient justification to conduct the search in the first place, or it is illegal. The mere fact that you are stopped for...a traffic infraction does not ordinarily justify a search of the car's interior."

Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
DWB laws in NJ.
As Hudson County has a high percentage of minorities of every race,creed and color, chances that a stop is one of them is high. No way around it.

Quote:
Your tail lite is out..sorry $45 fine!
With mv inspections now gone, that's the sole way to have equipment issues corrected.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,258 times
My girlfriend was driving and a motorcycle cop was pulled to the side. He stepped into the road and told us to pull to the side. He gave us a ticket. Is that legal for him to do?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebruin View Post
My girlfriend was driving and a motorcycle cop was pulled to the side. He stepped into the road and told us to pull to the side. He gave us a ticket. Is that legal for him to do?
Yea if u broke the law.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I just got pulled over in Bayonne and I did nothing wrong. He walked up and asked for my information and I gave it to him and asked what I did and he didn't answer and walked back to the car. He came back and said my license is suspended and asked me if I had ever been pulled over and I said no, I did have parking tickets in Bayonne, JC, and NYC that I had paid in April and that was the only time my license was ever suspended so I paid the restoration fee at the mvc and they said I was good to drive. So unless I have another parking ticket out there somewhere then I don't see why my license is suspended. Even if I have another ticket I should have received something in the mail to warn me that it was suspended. After that he gave me a ticket for driving without a license and gave me another ticket for not having a valid insurance card because my policy ran out and instead of my insurance company allowing me to just pay it and restore my policy, they had to rewrite me a whole new one and I didn't get my card in the mail yet. After all of that I asked him again what did I do wrong to get pulled over and he snickered a little and said he just put my plate number in the computer and it said it was suspended. WTF!!!!!!I was in a pack of cars heading down the street at between 25-30 miles per hour and he was sitting on the side of the road so this leads me to believe either A) He didn't actually run my plate and just was "fishing" and pulled me over hoping to get something B) He just picked me out to run the plate because I stuck out from the others, or C) He was going to try to make something up that I did wrong, but didn't have to because my license showed up to be suspended. I just paid almost $500 in tickets and restoration fees and now they expect me to pay this. Can they legally pull me over for this?

Yup. They can. He was bored and he got you. Sorry.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The police can redlight you anytime...period. Its just the way it is if you want to drive in new jersey or anywhere else. Blame the legislature for giving them so much power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey