Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 06:01 AM

6 posts, read 22,853 times

Advertisements

Which section in South Brunswick is better? Why? Do you think East Brunswick is a better town based on my criteria?

Criteria:
1) Schools
2) Family Friendly
3) Shopping & Activities

THANKS
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:55 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekidw/autism View Post
Which section in South Brunswick is better? Why? Do you think East Brunswick is a better town based on my criteria?

Criteria:
1) Schools
2) Family Friendly
3) Shopping & Activities

THANKS
There are five sections of South Brunswick:

Kendall Park - along Route 27 from approximately Henderson Road south to approximately New Road

Deans - along Deans Lane and part of Georges Road

Dayton -from Route 130 and 522 to Georges Road and Ridge Road

Monmouth Junction - located along Ridge Road from Route 522 to Route 1 and up from Route 522 to Georges Road

Kingston - along Route 27 from approximately Raymond Road down to the Carnegie Lake Bridge

Personally the "better" section depends on what you value in the neighborhood and the section.

For a "small town" feel, Kingston is going to be the best option because of his historic designation and the small walking area along Route 27. For shopping purposes, however, you are going to need to drive.

Monmouth Junction is similar to Kingston in that it also has that historic aspect. However, the Northeast Corridor does run nearby. While relatively quiet, Amtrak is currently doing track repairs so train horns are frequent during the day.

Deans and Dayton are more exurban in feel. By that I mean, there are sidewalks and paths, but if you are intending to walk to do grocery, your walk is going to be more than a half mile, unless you live in the Summerfield development which is on property from Route 522 and Georges Road to Summerfield Boulevard.

Kendall Park is rather suburban with many niche neighborhoods, some older dating from the 1940's to newer homes built in the late 1980's and mid-1990's. Shopping is located along Route 27. While there are sidewalks in the neighborhood and developments, sidewalks along Route 27 are hit and miss. Definitely the homes and neighborhoods are "established" but some of the older homes could use sprucing up. If you look at homes along Henderson, closer to Route 27 or in that area, be aware that St. Augustine of Canterbury Church is located on Henderson. As a parishioner there, I just alert people that on major holy days, during major events at the parish and at 12 Noon each day, the carillon is rung. While I enjoy the sound, others may not.

Because the township is so large, the schools are "regional" in nature and busing is a must. There are nine elementary schools scattered throughout the township. One middle school is located in the Dayton-Dean area which serves all of the township and the high school located in Monmouth Junction also serving the entire township. While I do not have children in the schools here, neighbors and the people living in the township generally agree that the schools are excellent. That said, be aware that you are going to pay for them in the form of relatively high property taxes. To get a sense of each of the schools, I would recommend visiting the following website where you can get links to each of the websites for each school.

South Brunswick School District - Schools

In terms of family friendly, yes, South Brunswick is very family friendly. There are numerous events held each year by Parks and Recreation, the Library, and the PAL. Sports programs are available and the schools offer a wide range of options for students.

As for activities, there are any number of events taking place. Usually, however, many residents will have interests outside the township and will head out of town for activities. I'm a good example. In the Fall, I'll usually be up at Rutgers Football games. During the Spring and Summer, I'm usually going to different garden shows or other places where there are photo opportunities. That said, there are still many options for community events here in the township.

For more information on the events available and the township in general, I'd recommend visiting this website:

South Brunswick Township -- Welcome to South Brunswick

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RUNYYfan; 05-29-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Thank you RUNYYfan for the information

Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
I've lived in both South and East Brunswick.

Both school systems are great. However, from a community standpoint, I'd prefer living in South Brunswick by a country mile.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Are you guys familiar with S. Brunswick's special education program? My son is autistic and I'm praying they have a good program for him. I spoke to some people from the program and them seem very nice and willing to help but I just don't know. I would rather hear from someone who doesn't work for the district to tell me about their program. On a positive note...I'm very happy that they offer full day kindergarten for my daughter

Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Personally I am not familiar with the special education program here in South Brunswick. However, I will see what a few friends can tell me who have been involved with aspects of the program to get their thoughts. It may take a few days, though.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM

201 posts, read 619,237 times
I am pretty sure e.brunswick is bigger and more congested. But both schools now have huge student populations around 1500-2000 in their high school. Try some town smaller for more indivaual attention like Monroe, or Robbinsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey