Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 PM

37 posts, read 172,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm beginning to explore counties in Jersey for a future move. I'm getting overwhelmed looking at houses in these counties on line...there are so many, I don't know where to start looking.

I'd like to narrow down the areas a little. I will be looking for a 55+ community in a "not so rural" area...driving distance to the beaches....and places that taxes are not so high.

Can you help me with your input of some of these counties?

Thanks,
EM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 04:21 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,436 times
It depends on your likes really..if like the ocean..it will be ocean county since closer to the water.
Camden county is..employment related (most state employee's live there..TRENTON... or why live there?
Burlington county..very wide open space..most in that neck of the woods are Military (until they settle down)!
Glouster county..not used too..reason..whats there?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:32 PM

***I will be looking for a 55+ community in a "not so rural" area...driving distance to the beaches....and places that taxes are not so high***

You want Ocean county saying this!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:40 PM

I did work for new home builders last 25 years ( did it all ground on up).

Do check out Magnatti homes on West Bay Ave. Barnegat ,NJ..you get a great house your way, at a great price! Active adult .... use to be 55+ but they lower it to 48 now-active adults (;

Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 PM

70 posts, read 259,851 times
I think Ocean County would be your best bet. Close to the beaches, more 55+ communities. As carlo2009 suggested check out Barnegat, it is a growing town. Barnegat is 20 minutes from Toms River/Seaside Heights, 10 minutes from Stafford/LBI. Most of Ocean County is not very rural, but it is not urban either. Mostly suburban and you are never that far away from stores, restaurants, etc.

Gloucester and Burlington Counties are more rural. Camden County is a relatively small county with a large population. In my opinion just not as nice as Ocean County, you are also further from the shore, but are closer to Philly.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Camden county is..employment related (most state employee's live there..TRENTON... or why live there?
Huh? Trenton is in Mercer County in North/Central Jersey.

Ocean County is very much the "Shore" with most people living towards the coast, and is a part of the NYC metropolitan area. It is a very large and diverse county and a significant part is Pinelands.

Burlington County is mostly along the Delaware River with a significant number of people living/working at/near the military base. Part of the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area and a significant part is Pinelands. Also has many people who commute to Trenton, Philly, and even NYC via the RiverLINE. Many people live there due to the proximity to the capital in nearby Mercer County (the county just north). Also has significant rural areas.

Camden County is mostly centered around Cherry Hill and Marlton and is probably the most urban of the counties mentioned. It is very close to Philly and has a significant number of commuters. Also has the city of Camden, and ghetto hell hole I would avoid, although the rest is quite lovely. Personally, I would suggest living in one of the towns with a Speedline stop.

Gloucester County is very urban near Philly, and very rural away from Philly. I am very familiar with this area and think that it is very diverse for it's small size.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Camden County is mostly centered around Cherry Hill and Marlton and is probably the most urban of the counties mentioned
Marlton is the downtown section of Evesham, which is Burlington County.

Anyway, 55+ Ocean County is your best bet. Look at Manchester, like 90% senior citizens. You are directly east of Burlington County so it is largely pine barrens too. Ocean County is a beautiful place to live.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Have you considered Atlantic County? It might be a better bet than any of the other places. Ocean County is very linear, its development tends to trend along either the GSP, or Rt 70 and Rt 37. In contrast, Atlantic County seems to be more dispersed, because you don't have the Pinelands dominating the county. It isn't as claustrophobic there, in my experiences. Much like Ocean County, there are real estate deals to be had.

Burlington County is my favorite of the lot, but, like Ocean County, it's dominated by the Pinelands, and the area of the county that is built up is the furthest away from the ocean. The semi-rural areas just outside of the Camden County boundary, Shamong, Southampton, Medford are my favorite areas in the state, but are probably too rural for you. There is a Leisuretown 55+ on Rt 70 just before you hit the Pinelands, which is almost equidistant to Philly and the shore.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM

37 posts, read 172,388 times
Thank you all so much for your feedback....I am going to look into not just Ocean county, but also Atlantic county...there seem to be a few places that seems interesting in Mays Landing, Little Egg Harbor and Smithville. What do you think?????

EM

Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oteyjoe View Post
Thank you all so much for your feedback....I am going to look into not just Ocean county, but also Atlantic county...there seem to be a few places that seems interesting in Mays Landing, Little Egg Harbor and Smithville. What do you think?????

EM
Atlantic County is a very good choice because not only are you close to the shore, the commute to Philly isn't that bad with the Atlantic City rail line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey