Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Bergen County abolish the blue law?
NO way, a day of rest is wonderful! 33 36.26%
Both yes and no - but close on all public holidays 5 5.49%
Yes, I still want to shop on Sunday 47 51.65%
Do not care 6 6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
They have survived fine in a booming economy but now that the economy has taken a nose dive I suspect many businesses would be very thankful for the income being open Sunday would bring in and yes....I also suspect it could make the difference between surviving and failing for some. Its interesting to note how many who have never taken a business risk or have absolutely NO business experience are willing to offer "expert" opinions on business survival in this issue ?
How in the world do you have any idea of what people who are posting have or have not done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How in the world do you have any idea of what people who are posting have or have not done?

Please......based upon the posts there isn't one shred of evidence that the posters have any idea of what it takes to make a business successful.....just a lot of whining about traffic on Sundays ? If I'm operating a business lots of traffic is a good thing....not something to whine about.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Please......based upon the posts there isn't one shred of evidence that the posters have any idea of what it takes to make a business successful.....just a lot of whining about traffic on Sundays ? If I'm operating a business lots of traffic is a good thing....not something to whine about.
Shouldn't you be off crying in a corner about the Flyers pathetic loss?

I guess it doesn't bother you...50 years of losing, I guess you're used to it.

And I'm sure you don't know how to operate a business, because if you did you'd have moved to Florida by now.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Guys, there are simple reasons for teh law.

The first has been said by many. People want it that way. If so many are screaming for this (The American Way... "Freedom") why do people find it hard when it it voted down?

The second is the Day of Rest, which is nice. After driving through the 4-17 interchange on both a Saturday and Sunday Afternoon/evening, I can say it is a lot easier to get around on Sunday.

Third is simple as well. You open these places, you are making people work on those days. No company would be able to compete if they were not open on that day. This universal "time out" makes it so that even small buisnesses with small roll calls would not have to work 7 days a week, or open up their doors for less than a 17% increase in sale for risk of LOSS of overall sales.

I am with some of the original replies in saying Christie has enough to worry about rather than focusing on things that won't do squat for anybody. (Don't get me started on the lapsing of the "rich guy" taxes....). Concerning himself with something that will do nothing to help the budget is stupid. (What, people will all of a sudden spend more money because they can shop on Sunday at Nieman Marcus!!!! Phegh!).

BTW, I think this was discussed in another thread a long time ago, and the postings were identical, by the same people too! the only difference was that Christie was not elected yet.......

De-ja-vu all over again.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
For what it's worth, I wouldn't really want to live in an area where the traffic is so terrible and life-altering that you have to force, by law, every business to shut down in order to have one single tolerable day per week. Eek!

But they should be able to keep the traditional alive if they'd like. Now, as governor, I would reserve the right to withhold 1/7 of Bergen County's state aid to make up for the 1/7 of the year the county is not contributing sales tax revenue to the state's coffers.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
what 70% of people are in favor? who did this survey? they should ask real people.. not the same old folks with nothing better to do over and over again. Everyone in Bergen county hates the Blue Law in Bergen county. They just have lives and can't go to all the political functions to make their opinions known. What a stupid law. I hate Bergen county for it. The excuses for keeping it are lame. The rest of the country doesn't have it and they live just fine. Quality of life would be better if we got rid of it. The law is made for sad people who have no life but to stay home and driving to the supermarket is the highlight of their day.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loden View Post
what 70% of people are in favor? who did this survey? they should ask real people.. not the same old folks with nothing better to do over and over again. Everyone in Bergen county hates the Blue Law in Bergen county. They just have lives and can't go to all the political functions to make their opinions known. What a stupid law. I hate Bergen county for it. The excuses for keeping it are lame. The rest of the country doesn't have it and they live just fine. Quality of life would be better if we got rid of it. The law is made for sad people who have no life but to stay home and driving to the supermarket is the highlight of their day.
The Law has been softed over the years , most towns allow stores to be open for a limited number of hrs.... The law is also popular and comes up for a vote everytime and ppl all across the county vote on it. The Quality of life would be worse if we got rid of it....traffic is a mess in this county. If they do get rid of it on a county wide basis , Paramus will keep theres.... They have the strictest blue law in the whole county and no exceptions. The Towns with the Downtowns or Main Streets have hinted at repealing theres... And if you don't like Bergen County move out...

Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Law has been softed over the years , most towns allow stores to be open for a limited number of hrs.... The law is also popular and comes up for a vote everytime and ppl all across the county vote on it. The Quality of life would be worse if we got rid of it....traffic is a mess in this county. If they do get rid of it on a county wide basis , Paramus will keep theres.... They have the strictest blue law in the whole county and no exceptions. The Towns with the Downtowns or Main Streets have hinted at repealing theres... And if you don't like Bergen County move out...
Freedom is more important than what people "want". The government has no business telling a business when or if it can open or close. It's a fundamental freedom. The Blue Laws need to be repealed.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Freedom is more important than what people "want". The government has no business telling a business when or if it can open or close. It's a fundamental freedom. The Blue Laws need to be repealed.
Well the people have spoken and business leaders have to and there staying....so deal with it...

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
blue law lol

reminds me of CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey