Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Bergen County abolish the blue law?
NO way, a day of rest is wonderful! 33 36.26%
Both yes and no - but close on all public holidays 5 5.49%
Yes, I still want to shop on Sunday 47 51.65%
Do not care 6 6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times

Advertisements

Ok I know I'm reviving a somewhat old thread here.

I just want to say that I think if the residents in the Municipalities the Malls, Businesses are located in should have to pay more taxes.

Why, because as far as I know, and I could be wrong, the malls help keep that Town, Municipality's taxes low(er) because the Malls, Shops, Businesses pay so much into the taxes. Yet everyone within the County including the Towns/Municipalities that don't have the Malls has to pay for the County Police salaries, pensions, etc etc. The County Police, if there are any, may have to do traffic duty on County roads, make arrests of shoplifters in the malls, and so on. The taxpayer in County pays into their salaries yet not all get the tax break or should I say lower taxes the Municipality gets that has these Malls. Maybe I'm wrong but from what I have always been told having Malls, Businesses, Factories etc in Municipalities keep their taxes down.

Now shouldn't everyone consider that the Correctional Officers in the Sheriff' Office/Jails will also have extra work but that shouldn't cost more $$$ to the public since they are already at work and being paid that day/time anyway. However, the County Police, if there are any, may have to have extra Police on duty on Sundays to arrest the shoplifters that normally wouldn't there had the Malls, businesses been closed on Sunday.

Everyone would have to consider all costs to the taxpayer, general public, and the business owners. Would the landlords all the rents go up for the business if they were open on Sundays? Would it cost more to pay for extra, if need, Police for theft, auto accidents, speeding tickets and the Sheriff's for detaining them in a jail cell?

Would it ulitmately end up costing more $$$ to have the open on Sunday because of all the extra necessary security, work? and when the Towns they are located in have more of their taxes paid by these businesses when the other Towns don't and we pay into it anyway open on Sunday or not? So why not allow the, at least, the Malls to be open or allow the discount stores to open at least a half day but be closed on the Public Holidays so the employees can get a break. These stores open extra early and give everyone a chance to shop early for the big Holidays so closing on the Holidays wouldn't really be a big deal.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-08-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM

136 posts, read 581,562 times
I love places where everything is closed on Sunday. God rested on the seventh day, let's respect our beloved Lord, Jesus Christ and enjoy a day of rest going to church, spend family time and have fun!

BTW Bergen County will NEVER get rid of their blue laws...

Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b823 View Post
Governor Chris wants to get rid of Bergen County blue law that we had for over 50 years. The law required all malls (retails) to be closed on Sundays, which gives a day of rest. However restaurants, movie theaters, and groceries still remain open, and there are nearby malls in other counties, + NYC is close.

I myself LOVE the blue law and wish the entire country had same law! A day of rest being with family and relax is awesome!
If you want to relax with your family on Sunday, no one should stop you. If I want to work on Sundays and open my barber shop, no one should stop me.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 AM

105 posts, read 287,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I have a great idea. Why don't we remember that America is a free country and allow the following:

People that want to rest on Sundays should be totally allowed to do that. People that want to work on Sundays should be totally allowed to do that.

In other words, let's move back to a system where we stop being busybodies trying to enforce our world views upon our fellow citizens.

Is that too much to ask? Am I shooting for the moon here?
Your ideals are all fine and dandy when it comes to small mom and pop stores where the owners may be the ones working on a Sunday. However, corporate is all for having an extra day of business because it helps their bottom line. These aren't the same people that would be forced to work on Sunday and I say forced because if they choose to wish to have sundays off I'm sure they'll end up having to look for a new job. This is the same DUMB idea about opening stores on Thanksgiving as well now. Do you really think the sales people want to work on thanksgiving???

Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 AM

105 posts, read 287,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If you want to relax with your family on Sunday, no one should stop you. If I want to work on Sundays and open my barber shop, no one should stop me.
Barber Shop vs Mall Stores - Big Difference

If you own a barber shop and choose to open on a Sunday, at least you have skin in the game as long as you're working it. I highly doubt corporate is thinking this way. The only skin in the game for them is the minimum wage workers which they can replace whenever they want.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
I love places where everything is closed on Sunday. God rested on the seventh day, let's respect our beloved Lord, Jesus Christ and enjoy a day of rest going to church, spend family time and have fun!

BTW Bergen County will NEVER get rid of their blue laws...
Yea, but that's all nonsense. There has to be a better reason than that to keep a law like this.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baruchel23 View Post
Barber Shop vs Mall Stores - Big Difference

If you own a barber shop and choose to open on a Sunday, at least you have skin in the game as long as you're working it. I highly doubt corporate is thinking this way. The only skin in the game for them is the minimum wage workers which they can replace whenever they want.
That's why it's better to own a company with your own employees rather than be a employee yourself. There has to be a benefit to the risks taken.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
I dunno

on the one hand I've always been a laissez-faire kind of guy. And I'd prefer it if all the stores were open on Sundays. On the other hand, that's always because I don't get my stuff done quick enough (on Saturday). And I can see why less traffic can be very useful on one day a week. And anyway the home depot, etc. is open in Rockland County on Sunday.
And it is possible that it actually does help me get errands done with the less traffic, even if I'm going out to Rockland county, because of the lessened traffic, or depending on what I'm doing/where I need to shop (maybe Passaic county).

So I'm on the fence about it

Last edited by Peanuttree; 11-14-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 02:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
It's a double edged sword because on one hand it's good for the businesses, people who want to work extra hours, and the fact that traffic wouldn't be so congested on Saturdays. On the other hand, it must be nice to now that as an employee you always have Sundays off, but most retail workers don't have that luxury. Retail is a 7 day a week business.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Quote:
Yea, but that's all nonsense. There has to be a better reason than that to keep a law like this.
BTW, for anyone who cares, this was uttered as more of a general idiom but there's a deeper truth to it. The government has the power to regulate things like this that it isn't explicitly barred from regulating by constitutional laws (both state and federal), such as speech, taking property without compensation, etc.

However, such regulations have to be within the scope of police power. That is, any such laws must promote the general welfare, and/or the health, and/or the wealth, and/or the morals, and/ or the safety of its people.

This means that all laws must have some sort of reason behind them. It has happened in the past where laws were overturned because of this, regardless of whether the Bill of Rights outright said the government couldn't pass such laws. One that always stood out in my mind is when a town in California tried to outlaw tattoo parlors completely, and the courts overturned the law saying it was a breach of police power; usually zoning laws can regulate the manner, location, etc. of activities, but an outright ban was over the line.

This to me seems significant for the blue laws. In the first place, they were passed for the sake of churches, which has 1st amendment issues. On the other hand, most people do NOT support them on those terms. But the other side of that is there has never been an outright vote on it, it was passed by legislatures. I don't know how the reason for a law being in place or supported by the people vs. it's reason for passing has played out in cvourts, if the issues has been addressed at all. My best guess is that the county/township/whatever attorney defends laws with as much different reasons as he can. But on top of all this, legislation is often written with the reasons that it is passed/in place. Again, I don't know how the issue of what's written as the reason vs. why modern citizens support a law has played out in courts.

So besides the 1st amendment issue, it seems to me that the blue laws have a shaky footing under police power in the first place. Like I said, I'm kind of on the fence as to its usefulness/effects. I could see how it could be useful to me with the less traffic (general welfare, wealth), but on the other hand it does outright limit my shopping abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey