Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

9 a.m. to 2 p.m. behind Rosario's in the NJ Transit parking lot.

NorthJersey.com: Midland Park welcoming farmers’ market this summer

Come by and see who is there (I don't know yet so we are curious... and hoping for some organic or Certified Naturally Grown farmers.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:21 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. behind Rosario's in the NJ Transit parking lot.

NorthJersey.com: Midland Park welcoming farmers’ market this summer

Come by and see who is there (I don't know yet so we are curious... and hoping for some organic or Certified Naturally Grown farmers.).

Nice... Always good to have more farmers' markets to check out! And Saturday is a good day for it!

I hope it does well. Fair Lawn tried a farmers' market last year and it bombed. Someone told me a big part of the reason was because the town and/or organizers were asking for insane amounts of money from the potential vendors. I hope they come to their senses, lower their prices, and give it another shot! The more, the better!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM

I believe they are charging $50 a year plus $40 per week per vendor. The $40 seems steep to me. I can imagine some of these people (like say, some organic artisan soap vendor) may only sell $100 of product. I'd like to try to help keep them around if possible. They are saying it is for advertising and that is actually being collected by the person who is running it who is the manager of the restaurant behind which the market will take place? Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest to me.

Throw up a website, a banner in the main intersection of town and get listed on the Jersey Fresh website and people will find out about it. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My mother was telling me about it, so it must be making the old-lady circuit. She plans to check it out.

Last summer I was living in Hawthorne, and they had a farmer's market on Sundays. I think it did OK--I was there every week and so were a lot of other people.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother was telling me about it, so it must be making the old-lady circuit. She plans to check it out.

Last summer I was living in Hawthorne, and they had a farmer's market on Sundays. I think it did OK--I was there every week and so were a lot of other people.

I went to the Hawthorne market once last year, and I really liked it. The produce prices weren't as good as in Ridgewood, but they did have that awesome vendor selling the great mini pizzas and pastries. The crowd and vibe were cool too. Like Ridgewood, without the highbrow factor. I will get there again this year!

Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 AM

I have been to a lot of markets, and none in NJ have been as good as others. The scene in Waitsfield, Vermont is like a festival... with food, music, kids running around, etc. Florida is the same, with lots of vendors , music, samples, a variety of different products, and ORGANIC produce, not just conventional. Something I like. In Ithaca NY there are something like 75 vendors at the main market and there are maybe 2 smaller ones a week.

In Ridgewood they do not accept additional vendors so its the same 5-6 vendors each week. Maybe Midland Park has more room,so they will be more open minded. We'll see!!!

I would actually love to sell some wood fired pizzas there, if I could figure out where to prep the dough. The health dept people are also very picky about these things. God forbid you do anything outside. You might get bugs in your food!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I have been to a lot of markets, and none in NJ have been as good as others. The scene in Waitsfield, Vermont is like a festival... with food, music, kids running around, etc. Florida is the same, with lots of vendors , music, samples, a variety of different products, and ORGANIC produce, not just conventional. Something I like. In Ithaca NY there are something like 75 vendors at the main market and there are maybe 2 smaller ones a week.

In Ridgewood they do not accept additional vendors so its the same 5-6 vendors each week. Maybe Midland Park has more room,so they will be more open minded. We'll see!!!

I would actually love to sell some wood fired pizzas there, if I could figure out where to prep the dough. The health dept people are also very picky about these things. God forbid you do anything outside. You might get bugs in your food!
I've been to Waitsfield and Ithaca, and Ithaca is not even as good as some in NJ. Waitsfield was good. I've been to a few in Florida, some rotten and some good. But none of those - absolutely NONE - compares to California. California is the best when it comes to farmer's markets (or just flat-out farms with farm stands) and once I experienced CA's markets I was spoiled. To me there's no difference really between Waitsfield and Ridgewood as they are both in the same category - non-Californian - and just not that good.

Better off just going to Corrado's or DePiero's at your convenience rather than killing half a weekend fighting with yuppies and hipsters and Real Housewives in their super-huge SUV's with the soccer and dance magnets on the back, just to park and walk a few blocks for the same fruits and veggies at an inflated cost, and the temptation of some unhealthy prepared foods.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:46 PM

bergen county johnny i have actually not been to ithaca when its open. what is the main one like? there are like 85 - 90 booths, are they all full!?! it's hard to imagine it would not be great with so many different vendors.

most of these places locally do not have organic produce which is something we look for. i am not sure about depiero/s... if they do, it is not advertised on their website.

at one of the places in midland park market they had "IPM protected" produce which is some kind of limited pesticide use specific to the individual needs of a crop.

Protected Harvest - What is IPM?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I went to the Hawthorne market once last year, and I really liked it. The produce prices weren't as good as in Ridgewood, but they did have that awesome vendor selling the great mini pizzas and pastries. The crowd and vibe were cool too. Like Ridgewood, without the highbrow factor. I will get there again this year!
This thread made me wonder if there were any farmer's markets where I live now (shore town in Monmouth County). I picked up a weekly publication today, and there amongst the ads for bars and bands was a listing of farmer's markets in the area and their hours.

So I'm going to Red Bank tomorrow morning!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I've been to Waitsfield and Ithaca, and Ithaca is not even as good as some in NJ. Waitsfield was good. I've been to a few in Florida, some rotten and some good. But none of those - absolutely NONE - compares to California. California is the best when it comes to farmer's markets (or just flat-out farms with farm stands) and once I experienced CA's markets I was spoiled. To me there's no difference really between Waitsfield and Ridgewood as they are both in the same category - non-Californian - and just not that good.

Better off just going to Corrado's or DePiero's at your convenience rather than killing half a weekend fighting with yuppies and hipsters and Real Housewives in their super-huge SUV's with the soccer and dance magnets on the back, just to park and walk a few blocks for the same fruits and veggies at an inflated cost, and the temptation of some unhealthy prepared foods.
That's better than a farmer's market--a real farm stand. Even Abma's in Wyckoff grows much of their produce in Sussex County now.

You have to drive further to find them than you used to. I wonder how far I'd have to go from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey