Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,659 times

Advertisements

I-95...Where my husband works off 95..-- that's the most swearing I hear from him when he makes the drive in LMAO! It's crazy LOL! (lots of tractor trailers cutting off/sideswiping,tailgating,,etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
I-80 is amazing to drive on as you get closer to PA. the ignorance of many drivers is just baffling. down to the simplest things of turning on headlights near dusk or during rain. I love my drive to work in the morning on I-287. when I try to merge onto it from I-80, and people that don't want to wait in the line on the exit ramp decide to drive up further and come to a complete stop in the I-80 right lane. that causes some interesting break-squealing moments every morning.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Really? Probably because the land out there is rough and rocky, and very mountainous.

The Turnpike is 95 from 18 E&W down to 6. The 95 by Trenton is a spur and merges back with it in PA after the 276 extension from exit 6.
Not many people know this but there's currently a gap along I-95 between Philadelphia and New York, thus making it incomplete.

95 near Trenton isn't technically a spur but rather ends being that the portion north of Ewing was never build.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM

912 posts, read 2,447,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Not many people know this but there's currently a gap along I-95 between Philadelphia and New York, thus making it incomplete.

95 near Trenton isn't technically a spur but rather ends being that the portion north of Ewing was never build.
It'll circle around and turn into I-295 South just around Ewing and Princeton, right? And conversely, I-295 North turns into I-95 South, correct?

Boy did that whole area mess me up the first time I ever drove there!!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post

The NJ Turnpike is 95 for awhile from Trenton to NY, look at google maps...it's just that in order to get there you either have to take the PA Turnpike bridge or the Delaware Memorial Bridge to be on the NJ Turnpike before it's officially 95.

What way do people go that are driving all the way through? IIRC the signs for 95 have you going into PA, but I feel like taking the NJ Turnpike would probably be quicker.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
@Gambler, correct. I-95 is discontinuous.

@GoPhils, Like Whoelsebutcharles mentioned, I-95 is signed along the Turnpike from Exit 18 all the way down to 6 where it randomly disappears. The I-95 that ends in Trenton is the same highway that ends in Miami.

Yeah, it's a mess and NJ's poorly marked Turnpike signs doesn't help.

Whenever, PennDOT get to it, there should be a new interchange at I-95 at I-276 to continue the route without interruption. With the completion of the new interchange in Bristol, I-276 ends and becomes I-95 where it crosses into New Jersey from the PA Turnpike bridge and then routed on the Turnpike all the way to the GW Bridge.

What is now I-95/I-295 that goes around Trenton area become I-195 and I-295 ends at I-195 original terminus.

Originally, I-95 was to be routed along the never built Somerset Freeway from Ewing to Piscataway, then it was to be routed on what is now I-287 and then sign on the Turnpike towards New York. The routing faced opposition from the towns in it's path and NJ decided to cancel the freeway and now

Until the interchange is completed, drivers coming from PA must use US 1 to either get on I-276 or wait until they cross into New Jersey to use US 1 to continue to their destination. Using 295 to 195 is a waste of time.

Through traffic to New York should stick with the Turnpike

Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
Default I-95 Missing Gap in NJ

There is quite a good documentaion with maps, history, etc online of the I-95 Missing Gap in NJ at History of the Interstate 95 "Missing Link" of central New Jersey

Particularly check out Map 1 and Map 5. Map 5 shows how the Somerset Freeway would've run, quite darn quickly from Ewing near Trenton right to Somerset and I-287.

What I usually do these days if I'm on the Pike is jump off at I-195 which I think is exit 7A, taking I-195 West to where it merges into NJ29, then either the US1 toll bridge or the toll free "Trenton Makes" Alt US 1 bridge a block away. In PA the US1 Freeway takes you right to I-95 and you're off.

It's almost a straight line and you get to beat a good half on the NJ tolls and the entire Del mem Bridge toll too.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
The turnpike is called "NJ700"? I never knew that

Old 06-18-2010, 04:16 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
Default Yep

The turnpike is legally NJ 700, at least the section below Exit 6 where it is not I-95.

Also the GS Parkway is legally NJ 444.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
What's the Pulaski Skyway? 1-9, right? That HAS to be the most dangerous road on which I've ever drive in my life.

That said, most of the accidents near the cities seem to be congestion-related are are low-speed fender benders. The real deadly accidents seem to be deep into the suburbs where traffic is lighter and speeds are much higher. The Garden State Parkway from Wall Township to Toms River is probably one of the most accident-prone areas in the entire state as far as deadly accidents go. There seems to be a new one every day.
I agree. The Pulaski Skyway can be REALLY dangerous, since it's so narrow and people speed on that thing like you wouldn't believe! I would hate to drive on that road in the winter time, when it gets icy! I recommend driving on that road in the daylight.

That particular GSP area is really accident-prone, especially since the GSP has the added extra lane or two just a mile or two past the Seaside Heights (#82) exit going northbound. I always find myself speeding more through those parts especially b/w Toms River and Wall Township, probably because I had been driving on a two-lane mega-highway for the past 40 exits behind slow pokeys! Drivers just get speed-happy, and unfortunately it can get deadly. Watch out and be careful out there everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey