Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
But that doesn't always work, does it? Try taking 295 from Swedesboro to Teaneck without paying a toll or encountering a red light or intersection at grade. If you are driving North-South in New Jersey, it becomes very impractical to avoid tolls if you are going to make time.
luckily *i* don't go from swedesboro to teaneck. for *me*, I can avoid tolls 95% of the time without a time issue. i hated tolls so took responsibility for my life and moved somewhere where I could avoid them (and yes, that was a huge driver in where we moved...I paid $4/day 20 years ago and was sick of it).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
luckily *i* don't go from swedesboro to teaneck. for *me*, I can avoid tolls 95% of the time without a time issue. i hated tolls so took responsibility for my life and moved somewhere where I could avoid them (and yes, that was a huge driver in where we moved...I paid $4/day 20 years ago and was sick of it).

I give you all the credit in the world for your decision and can't say I blame you! 4 bucks a day? Blech! That would be like 6-7 a day today.

What was your route, Tahiti, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I give you all the credit in the world for your decision and can't say I blame you! 4 bucks a day? Blech! That would be like 6-7 a day today.

What was your route, Tahiti, if you don't mind me asking?
over the bayonne bridge, through staten island, over the outerbridge to 440/287. the ride wasn't all that bad but the tolls took their toll! $80/mo for a recent college grad was (and is!) a huge chunk of change!

that ride today is $8/day.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
over the bayonne bridge, through staten island, over the outerbridge to 440/287. the ride wasn't all that bad but the tolls took their toll! $80/mo for a recent college grad was (and is!) a huge chunk of change!

So you got a daily dosage of Fresh Kills! Double blech!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:

That's $8 per bridge. At least the Outerbridge is. It's not worth taking the Turnpike from Bayonne?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
That's $8 per bridge. At least the Outerbridge is. It's not worth taking the Turnpike from Bayonne?
bayonne bridge is also $8 (all PANYNJ bridges are the same price) but you only pay 1 way - going into NY.

as far as the turnpike, from where I lived it would've taken an additional 15 or so minutes, and the fare wasn't much cheaper. crossing over the newark bay bridge really jacks up the turnpike toll.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
So you got a daily dosage of Fresh Kills! Double blech!
yeah, it was in full swing at that point too! the smell isn't nearly as bad now, if at all. the last few times I drove by there it didn't hit me like a ton of bricks, LOL.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,840 times
I-76 comes from the Walt Whitman Bridge for a few miles into the I-295/NJ-42 interchange. That interchange is 40 years old, and it used to be very deadly. It is still a big mess and they have been planning on fixing it for years. That interchange is why it is on the list. Toll roads... To get from Delaware to NYC by paying only a $1. Get on I-295 North. Take that to US-130 North (stop at Mastoris and have a great meal) Continue on US-130 North to US-1 North to I-287 East to the Garden State Parkway North to US-22 to US-1/9 into Hoboken. Park and pick up the PATH for $1. You can save about $30 total. I-95 is NOT the New Jersey Turnpike officially despite what every online map tells you. I-95 begins and ends at the Route 1 interchange north of Trenton. On the west side of Route 1 is I-95 on the east side is I-295. I-95 then picks back up again at the exit 18 toll booths. Once you pay your toll and head north, you are no longer on the turnpike and officially are on I-95 again. All of your interstate highways are funded with federal taxes. All three of the toll roads in the state, the NJ Turnpike, GS Parkway, and AC Expressway were at one time owned by private individual companies that were overseen by the state. All of the mantience for these roads are funded solely by tolls and NOT gas taxes which is why the state police who patrol these roads get paid from a separate entity and not the state taxes. The exemption to this are the river crossings on the Delaware and Hudson, they are run by separate companies, however, because they connect to either NY, DE, or PA they are exempt from the state law because the road goes into another state, which is why these crossings are allowed to have interstate markers on them. The only free crossing over the Delaware River I know of is on I-95 North of Trenton, and the reason why it is free is because it is funded by federal tax dollars and it is the ONLY crossing that is owned and maintained by the state. I know there are the little bridges like at Lambertville, but I am discussing major roads. There used to be NO police on the GS Parkway when it first opened, because the company that owned it didn't contract it out with the state. Also, there is an obscure state law that requires the state to provide a free alternative to these toll roads. For the NJ Turnpike it is US 1-9 and 130. Then it became I-295. For the GS Parkway it is US-9. There are sections on the southern end of the parkway that are totally free and labeled US-9 for this reason. For the AC Expressway its US 30-40. To further show this, take the NJ Turnpike extension into PA and the PA Turnpike. The PA Turnpike east of Valley Forge is officially I-276 because PA doesn't have the same law NJ has. Where does I-276 end? When it merges with the NJ Turnpike? At the state line? No, I-276 technically begins or ends at the NJ Turnpike toll both. Years and years ago they used to have a sign at the toll both that read END I-276 or Begin I-276. That small two mile stretch from the PA turnpike to the NJ Turnpike is I-276 and maintained by both the PA and NJ turnpikes. It is the only exception to the interstate/toll law.

Last edited by arrgy; 06-24-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I would think 76 being deadly would refer more to Pa - 76 is the Schuykill expressway (sp) otherwise known as the "Surekill" expressway. It's a very short length in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey