Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 PM

5,063 posts, read 7,471,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Bradly, and the rest of you, I just talked to our gay foster daugher in Portland. She mentioned this weekend is their Gay Pride Parade and she with her partner will go. I asked her about the controversy we are disussing here, she agreed with you 110%. She said, if someone running for office showed up for an event like a Gay Rights parade and they were not gay, she would assume they were a politician that would sleep with anyone (her words) to get votes and would never vote for that person. She gave the example of Cinco De Mayo: she wouldn't go to their parade. Not that she is anti Hispanic, but that is their celebration, not anyone elses. Just thought I would add to what you are saying...

Nita
Sounds like a residue of Southern segregationist mentality if you ask me. Thank God not everybody thinks that way. How limiting, nobody venturing outside their own little group.

As a gay Anglo male I've performed with mariachi groups, volunteered in support of women's reproductive rights, campaigned for straight Hispanic political candidates, lived with native families in Latin America, speak Spanish and studied Navajo, have been to numerous pow-wows and Pueblo feast days, volunteered in churches, have friends of all races and many ethnic groups, had a relationship with a native Hispanic New Mexican, have a Hispanic adopted nephew who married a Korean woman... I could go on. I suppose all this "cross-over" is scandalous to nita and bradly but it has enriched my life immeasurably.

Vote for whomever you like, I still support Diane Denish and think Susana Martinez is a dangerous choice for governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 AM

3,435 posts, read 7,001,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Sounds like a residue of Southern segregationist mentality if you ask me. Thank God not everybody thinks that way. How limiting, nobody venturing outside their own little group.

As a gay Anglo male I've performed with mariachi groups, volunteered in support of women's reproductive rights, campaigned for straight Hispanic political candidates, lived with native families in Latin America, speak Spanish and studied Navajo, have been to numerous pow-wows and Pueblo feast days, volunteered in churches, have friends of all races and many ethnic groups, had a relationship with a native Hispanic New Mexican, have a Hispanic adopted nephew who married a Korean woman... I could go on. I suppose all this "cross-over" is scandalous to nita and bradly but it has enriched my life immeasurably.

Vote for whomever you like, I still support Diane Denish and think Susana Martinez is a dangerous choice for governor.
Well isnt that nice for you. But I dont think there is a "dangerous" choice. haha thats awkward to say.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times
Quote:

dang, no one is trying to tell you who to vote for, the issue here is why did one person choose to be part of something and another did not. My foster daughter is the farthest thing form a segregationist as they come and I will add, very liberal in many ways, but I am just telling you how she happens to feel about certain situations. There are some that do not always mix.

As for your wonderful mixed family situations, many of us can say that: I have a Jewish son in law, a granddaughter married to a hispanic, obviously a gay foster daughter, we have fostered kids of every color and religion, and have black friends, Hispanic friends, Christian friends, agnotic friends, lib and conservative friends, and that has nothing to do with this subject. You are simply spinning this to fit what you want to think. Go for it, that is your right and it is our right to disagree with you. Intelligent people do not always have the same views but they can appreciate how others think. I appreciate your feeling the way you do, but I don't like hypocrites and that is how I happen to see DD.

Nita

Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,760,891 times
Quote:

I agree.
I remember when being considered a 'renaissance' person, in the sense that one had many different and diverse experiences meeting people, travelling, reading literature, appreciating different types of music, supporting causes foreign to one's own life situation because it was the right thing to do, was a good thing.
When did (so many) people start being afraid to step outside the narrow confines of their little boxes?

I also remember when anyone running for any type of office was expected to show that s/he was going to be the mayor, governor, president of all of the people within their district, not just the ones they wanted to hang out with or have a beer with.
What does it say when a candidate turns his/her back on an entire (potential) constituency? Your votes don't count? You aren't real Americans, New Mexicans, etc.? Your contributions to your country, state, city aren't important? I'm going to ignore you and maybe you'll just go away?

Clearly someone who thinks/believes any of these things does not truly represent all of the people. Of course, many can and will argue that even those people who pay 'lip service' may really feel that way too. I would argue, however, that taking the first step or leap into that 'foreign' environment means that there is a likelihood, however small, that that person will change his/her opinion and see the 'other' as valuable and yes, equally human.

Ideas come from many places. Our state is in serious financial trouble, and solutions will not be easy to find. Do we really want someone in office who has already demonstrated an inability to be open and receptive to everyone who lives in our state? Do we really want someone in office who believes that one size should fit all?

I sure don't.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 AM

888 posts, read 1,189,119 times
I cannot imagine a candidate for Mayor of New York, NOT showing up for the Saint Patrick's Day Parade???
You wanna get elected, you go out and get the vote.
White, black, straight, gay.....it's all looks the same in a ballot box!?

Steve

Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,737,329 times
Quote:
Bradly, and the rest of you, I just talked to our gay foster daugher in Portland. She mentioned this weekend is their Gay Pride Parade and she with her partner will go. I asked her about the controversy we are disussing here, she agreed with you 110%. She said, if someone running for office showed up for an event like a Gay Rights parade and they were not gay, she would assume they were a politician that would sleep with anyone (her words) to get votes and would never vote for that person. She gave the example of Cinco De Mayo: she wouldn't go to their parade. Not that she is anti Hispanic, but that is their celebration, not anyone elses. Just thought I would add to what you are saying...

Nita
So is there something wrong with a straight person trying to get gay votes, or an anglo trying to get hispanic votes? By your reasoning a politician should only cater to her particular "people", even though, when elected she will represent all of us.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
So is there something wrong with a straight person trying to get gay votes, or an anglo trying to get hispanic votes? By your reasoning a politician should only cater to her particular "people", even though, when elected she will represent all of us.
absolutely spinning what I said. This part of this thread started out as a criticism of one candidate not going to the parade and now we are talking about St Patricks day, which is totally different and you know it. St Patricks day celebrations and parades are a part of the American tradition. I would take the same stand if a person running for mayor was pro abortion and went to a pro life march. You and a few others have spun this entire thread around and around. End of story!!!!

Nita

Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 AM

888 posts, read 1,189,119 times
So who says a Gay Pride parade won't be an American tradition one day?
Certainly not in your small world view.

Steve

Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
So who says a Gay Pride parade won't be an American tradition one day?
Certainly not in your small world view.

Steve
My point exactly. Thanks for a more concise response.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
absolutely spinning what I said. This part of this thread started out as a criticism of one candidate not going to the parade and now we are talking about St Patricks day, which is totally different and you know it. St Patricks day celebrations and parades are a part of the American tradition. I would take the same stand if a person running for mayor was pro abortion and went to a pro life march. You and a few others have spun this entire thread around and around. End of story!!!!

Nita
Now I'm really confused. Being straight doesn't mean you're anti-gay. Also, I believe the label you are looking for is pro-choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico