Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 AM

41 posts, read 86,309 times

Advertisements

In August, I'm moving back to Albuquerque from the state that elected the first bald wrestler as governor (Jessie the brain Ventura).

Anyway, looks like it will be an interesting race I'll be coming back to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 AM

39 posts, read 106,304 times
I would vote for gary johnson if he could run again... I personally believe in a thing called civil liberties... which seems lost on most elected leaders. I personally wouldn't vote for denish or martinez. Off topic... but what bothers me is all these states cracking down on those crazy aliens from mexico. In reality... these bills are just crappy attempts to limit more of our civil rights. I was told new mexico was going to require passports for residents flying back into state. Is it just me or does that sounds like something a police state would do?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:14 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,101,441 times
I'm voting for Diane Denish.

-Domestic Partnerships
-Rail Runner
-Immigration
-Transit/Transportation
-Very personable

-Martinez endorsed by Palin
-Seems 'scary'
-Appears to be against LGBT Rights, something I do NOT like
-I just don't like her personality at all, but have liked Diane alot when I've seen her.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,925,433 times
I have to be honest, this thread seems a little out of place for a Forum about just the city of Albuquerque. But while it is still hear, I will personally be supporting Susana. More of the Richardson Administration's reckless spending, corruption, and tolerance of illegal immigrants (giving them driver's licenses) could be nothing but disastrous. Diane is tied to this administration and either must acknowledge her involvement over the last 8 years in the corrupt Richardson administration, or essentially admit to being a very lame lt. gov. Ultimately, she hasn't done a very good job either way.

And quite frankly, not voting for someone because of another person's endorsement and saying that someone "seems scary" is a pretty weak foundation on why not to vote for someone.

I have met both candidates; they are both very charming--but both are in campaign mode.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,101,441 times
She is scary to me. Someone who opposes rights for same-sex couples is scary especially if you have friends or family members involved with people of the same gender. And it's scary to think of great things such as the Rail Runner being destroyed, especially as someone who tries as much as I can not to drive. Honestly, I agree with the democratic model for immigration. Let them stay, but take a place in line. And an endorsement DOES mean something when the person that is making an endorsement is counter to your own values. In my own humble opinion, the GOP had a better candidate with Weh. But I will not be casting my vote for any republicans in this election cycle. And that is a decision made with some reading on where the candidates values are and what stands they have taken in the past.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,043,962 times
Albuquerque being the largest city in Albuquerque I'm curious to what each of the candidates believe in and what are they going to do if elected. I don't care about polls just what makes a particular candidate the right one for you not that who you're going to vote for. A governor has implications at the State, National, and local level so it is appropriate. What do they stand for so others can make an informed decision especially if you're new to NM/ABQ. This is an information request only.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:08 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,457,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Civil Unions? (Gay Marriages)

I mean Susana said she would make domestic-partnership a "priority" as well at a local rally... but, thats what all candidates say.

I'm calling shenanigans.

Please provide documentation for this.

Since she's been quoted as saying she does NOT support domestic partnerships and she's openly Catholic and in support of other conservative moral issues ( restrictions on abortion rights, etc. ) it would certainly be a newsworthy event if she suddenly supported gay rights and it would make the local news.

Yet I could not find it anywhere...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,945 times
Yea my family is catholic and they support "domestic partnerships" why does it make a difference. Just cause you are catholic does not mean nada girl... I'm catholic too... I just don't always agree with what my religion supports or is against. Of course no candidate is going to support the "union" part, Not even Diane.

shenanigans, shenanigans, shenanigans.

Call it what you want karma.. Like I said, And I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, this state wants the first latina governor in the US.

I have lived here for 32 years. You?? I have seen the corrupt officals, and what they do to this state. No thanks.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
She is scary to me. Someone who opposes rights for same-sex couples is scary especially if you have friends or family members involved with people of the same gender. And it's scary to think of great things such as the Rail Runner being destroyed, especially as someone who tries as much as I can not to drive. Honestly, I agree with the democratic model for immigration. Let them stay, but take a place in line. And an endorsement DOES mean something when the person that is making an endorsement is counter to your own values. In my own humble opinion, the GOP had a better candidate with Weh. But I will not be casting my vote for any republicans in this election cycle. And that is a decision made with some reading on where the candidates values are and what stands they have taken in the past.
And Diane is more of the same. You think she is actually going to "make a difference" she is full of richardson lies.

She will say ANYTHING to get elected. Rights for same sex couples? believe me, if she did.. she would have made it clear already. The rail runner gets no more federal funds, and immigration control under the richardson-denish admin has been the worst! Look how many illegals we have in our state.. NO PROPER LAWS. Like giving them drivers licences, and free tax payer give-a-ways.

Better re-think your vote bud.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post

opposing same-sex rights is scary? Thats the way life has always been, have you been scared all your life?

and I hate to tell you but, ILLEGAL immigration is ILLEGAL! Can you go into Mexico and make a life for yourself without being a legal resident, or any other country? What do you think they would do to you?

and public transportation, maybe you just need a larger city for that, the rail runner seems to be a love-hate thing with ABQ, but I take it that the majority of the population dont care about it, sounds like you need a big city lifestyle, you do know that Portland has all your looking for.

Like Obama and all of his followers said "its time for a change", well lets apply that change to New Mexico and get Martinez in office, NM could use some serious change, Denish is just a branch off of Richardson's tree, I dont see anything changing with her in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico