Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Civil Unions? (Gay Marriages)

I mean Susana said she would make domestic-partnership a "priority" as well at a local rally... but, thats what all candidates say.

Denish looks as if she is not going to be successful in november anyway. (Just saying) might as well go with the winner, cause this state wants "The FIRST latina" governor in the US.
So, you are conceding that LG Denish does support gay rights?

And, now, you are trying to suggest that Mrs. Martinez does as well?
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles View Post
I would vote for gary johnson if he could run again... I personally believe in a thing called civil liberties... which seems lost on most elected leaders. I personally wouldn't vote for denish or martinez. Off topic... but what bothers me is all these states cracking down on those crazy aliens from mexico. In reality... these bills are just crappy attempts to limit more of our civil rights. I was told new mexico was going to require passports for residents flying back into state. Is it just me or does that sounds like something a police state would do?
Boy do you have things mixed up: NM can't require passports but the US govenment can and yes, if you are coming in from anywhere including Mexico and Canada (by Air) yor are required to have a currrent passport. If you are entering by car you can get by with what is referrred to as a entrance card. It is purchased via the governmnet but is less expensive than a passport.

As for civil liberties, do you really think Gary Johnson wants to see open borders like you obviously think should be. You are confusing legalizing pot (maybe you are smoking too much of it) with illegals entering our country. Gary Johnson certainly isn't going to push for or turn his back on the problem.

Nita

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Political discussions on a forum about a city = out of place. Not to silence anyone but isn't there a better place for this discussion?
this is an appropiate place for these discussions. Every state forum discusses politics. You don't have to respond, but if it is a subject that affects a state I personally see no reason not to have it discussed.

And yes, there is another place, the political thread.

Nita

Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
So far from the Martinez supporters here we've seen comments like "let's give equal time to the KKK", b
I think you misread the "KKK" postings. As I read them, they were attempting to draw
a stark contrast to illustrate a point, not advocating the KKK's position on anything.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I think you misread the "KKK" postings. As I read them, they were attempting to draw
a stark contrast to illustrate a point, not advocating the KKK's position on anything.
That's the way I read it also, the point was to say "if you support a gay parade than you should support a KKK rally". But MY point in listing it here was to show the kinds of ideas and connections that conservatives have made in this thread.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
Anytime you have to bring in groups like the KKK, to "prove your point".
Then you've already lost the argument.

Steve

Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That's the way I read it also, the point was to say "if you support a gay parade than you should support a KKK rally". But MY point in listing it here was to show the kinds of ideas and connections that conservatives have made in this thread.
OK, but I don't think that is what the original poster intended. I may be wrong, but
I thought he was attempting to illustrate the point that civil liberties such as free
speech apply to EVERYONE, even groups we disgusted by, not just the ones we
approve of.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Albuquerque being the largest city in Albuquerque I'm curious to what each of the candidates believe in and what are they going to do if elected. I don't care about polls just what makes a particular candidate the right one for you not that who you're going to vote for. A governor has implications at the State, National, and local level so it is appropriate. What do they stand for so others can make an informed decision especially if you're new to NM/ABQ. This is an information request only.
Relax. All I was suggesting is maybe this should be moved to the broader New Mexico Forum being that it is a statewide race. I wasn't criticizing your motives or reasoning for creating this thread. I completely understand where you are coming from, and I hope you don't purely make your decision off of this thread. There are surely debates to come, and a great deal of forums (not city-data type) to be had.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
OK, but I don't think that is what the original poster intended. I may be wrong, but
I thought he was attempting to illustrate the point that civil liberties such as free
speech apply to EVERYONE, even groups we disgusted by, not just the ones we
approve of.

exactly my point!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Thread title changed to Albuquerque Discussion - Martinez v Denish for Governor
(was: Martinez v Denish for Governor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico