Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,175 times

Advertisements

DIANE WITH HER DADDY BILL, and all the other "fatcats"....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Martinez was born and raised in El Paso--so she is a Texan.

I don't know why that should be an object of scorn, but it apparently is on this forum.
All right, I'll lay it out for you. Texans are known to be a little obnoxious about how great their state is, how big it is, how wonderful it is to be a Texan . . . yadda, yadda, yadda. It's great to feel that way about your state, but don't Texans realize many people feel that way about where they're from too?

Don't get me wrong, I live in Texas, and there are lots of nice things about Texas, but it's better to let others blow your horn, than to be constantly blowing it yourself (not you, but Texans in general).

Back on topic. I have no problem with Martinez being from Texas, there are many other more relevant issues I have with her.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM

888 posts, read 1,187,220 times
I don't have any problems with Texans at all.
My wife's brother and his family, live outside of Houston.
And my next-door-neighbor, back in Maryland, was a West Texas-born retired Army Colonel......nicest guy I ever met, BTW!
I REALLY hate seeing Texans stereotyped as loud-mouth rednecks............

Steve

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Here's a legitimate issue I've been following in the papers the last several days, and it involves the current administration's handling of the child care subsidies that are earmarked back to providers: New Mexico Invests $2.4 Million To Boost Children's Programs | Gov Monitor (http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/new-mexico-invests-2-4-million-to-boost-childrens-programs-39564.html - broken link)

Richardson has extended the funding into January, when the next administration takes over. There are many, many families in this state that, until I began researching this, were reliant upon child care services to subsidize their pre-school children's care. This is going to have to be dealt with in the next administration. I never realized the depths of how entrenched welfare is in this state until I started reading some of these articles. The upshot of the matter is that the state is broke, and can no longer remit back to child care centers the funds they have previously enjoyed. This is a major issue, and it potentially brings to focus the central difference between the two major political parties in this country. What is government's role in this matter? Shouldn't parents have to pay, or be more accountable, for the expenses their families incur? I wonder if this question has been posed to either candidate in this form, in any debate or press conference? It's a very valid issue, and there will be consequences, regardless of how either candidate decides to govern this issue, after taking office.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
LOL!! Darn! I deleted my original post, but was beaten to it!

Yes, I know some Texans are obnoxious, but not all of us are that way.

There are things I absolutely HATE about New Mexico....but there are also things I love about it.....and I can say the exact same thing about my native state of Texas, too.

I don't care where Martinez was born and raised. I care about where she says she stands on the issues that are important to this state.

Denish is too connected to Bill Richardson (a Californian, BTW, as has been noted) for me to ever vote for her, period.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here's a legitimate issue I've been following in the papers the last several days, and it involves the current administration's handling of the child care subsidies that are earmarked back to providers: New Mexico Invests $2.4 Million To Boost Children's Programs | Gov Monitor (http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/new-mexico-invests-2-4-million-to-boost-childrens-programs-39564.html - broken link)

Richardson has extended the funding into January, when the next administration takes over. There are many, many families in this state that, until I began researching this, were reliant upon child care services to subsidize their pre-school children's care. This is going to have to be dealt with in the next administration. I never realized the depths of how entrenched welfare is in this state until I started reading some of these articles. The upshot of the matter is that the state is broke, and can no longer remit back to child care centers the funds they have previously enjoyed. This is a major issue, and it potentially brings to focus the central difference between the two major political parties in this country. What is government's role in this matter? Shouldn't parents have to pay, or be more accountable, for the expenses their families incur? I wonder if this question has been posed to either candidate in this form, in any debate or press conference? It's a very valid issue, and there will be consequences, regardless of how either candidate decides to govern this issue, after taking office.
You got it.

I get emails from Tom Udall, and this paragraph was part of it:

Over the last two months, I traveled around our state to see how people across New Mexico are using Recovery grants and other federal funding opportunities to create new jobs, boost our economy, strengthen our infrastructure and nurture innovation.

The attitude of government/"federal funding opportunities" is so entrenched here that I don't even think he was at all conscious of what he actually said.

I don't know that this attitude will ever change, and that is just SAD.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
You got it.

Over the last two months, I traveled around our state to see how people across New Mexico are using Recovery grants and other federal funding opportunities to create new jobs, boost our economy, strengthen our infrastructure and nurture innovation.

The attitude of government/"federal funding opportunities" is so entrenched here that I don't even think he was at all conscious of what he actually said.

Exactly. The idea of private enterprise starting up productive, profitable enterprise, independent of state or federal government seems to be a foreign concept in this state. But it has to change, because the federal, and the state government are both currently broke, so the model has to change. For some states, adjustments will be more seamless. In New Mexico, it seems, more than almost any other state, the operations of all business enterprise, in the private sector, are nonetheless fused into government. It seems as though, in the instance I cited, that child care providers are wholly reliant upon Santa Fe for subsidy. This model is an unsustainable one when the number of participants reliant upon these dollars outstrips those who can afford to pay full price, especially when we are in the throes of a recession the likes of this. Unlike the federal government, though, the governor can not print money. Therefore, she is going to be tasked with having to figure a logical and sensible solution to counteract this growing issue.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
Politics will play a big part in the next Martinez or Denish regime. No matter what Martinez says now about big government and big spending, once elected, she will be fighting for every government dime that could come New Mexico's way. If she doesn't she'll be a one term governor. NM counts on federal spending in a big way for investment and employment. To deny this is political suicide.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
Quote:
You got it.

You are so right. Why else would he have introduced a bill to require cell phone companies to let customers know when they have used 80% of their service limitation in a month. Apparently, he believes that people are incapable of doing so on their own and they require govt help.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:10 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Politics will play a big part in the next Martinez or Denish regime. No matter what Martinez says now about big government and big spending, once elected, she will be fighting for every government dime that could come New Mexico's way. If she doesn't she'll be a one term governor. NM counts on federal spending in a big way for investment and employment. To deny this is political suicide.
Someone should tell this to the ABQ city council and Senator Gerald Ortiz y Pino. They are attempting to pass resolutions requesting the Feds to remove all nuclear weapons from Kirtland. The jets are now gone. If they remove the nukes, there's very little reason to keep Kirtland open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico