Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:14 AM

5,055 posts, read 7,440,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsofNM View Post
My corrections are in italics, nor am I an old lady but an almost 29 y.o. moderate male.

Recent research shows that the rapid growth in cell-phone-only households (even since 2008) is potentially making polling less and less accurate and unbiased towards any particular political party. Several of my moderate and conservative friends and I have ditched the landline in the last couple of years. I'm hoping there may be a surprise in November across the country.

I haven't had a land line since 2004. Assuming you're college educated, were you awake during experimental statistics?
  • sampling errors
  • insufficient vs sufficient sample set
  • stats can be turned and manipulated to reflect what is wanted, even if the raw results don't suggest such.
There go your assumptions that:
  • only liberals have ditched land-lines
  • republicans are old, apparently of female gender
I never said "only liberals have ditched land-lines." But the studies claim that liberals are more likely not to have a land-line than conservatives.
You're contradicting yourself by using an insufficient sample set (you and your friends) on which to base your assumptions. The article I linked is only one of several, there is another by Pew and the recent article from The Economist (this week or last) which says additionally that Hispanics and Blacks are also more likely to be CPOs (cell-phone only, or unable to be reached by land-line), so this would indicate that in New Mexico the polling is more likely to be skewed to the Right than in most other states. How accurately the pollsters adjust for this will only come into focus in November. The only figure I saw which estimates the actual percentage of CPOs was a nation-wide figure of 25%.

Thank you, I am college educated and awake, but my degrees are in the Arts. Do you assume everyone who went to college emerged a scientist or statistician?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Can you say "aries63 does not know New Mexico law?"

The New Mexico constitution does not allow for the recall of elected state officials - period, no exceptions.

You cannot recall an elected person through a referendum. Besides, the New Mexico constitution allows only a very limited use of referendums, applicable to a very narrow range of laws (and then it must occur prior to the next legislative session after the law was passed, and be supported by petitions signed by more than 10% of registered voters). Also, the New Mexico constitution does not allow voter based initiatives to amend the state constitution. All proposed constitutional amendments must be placed on the ballot by the legislature.

If you think I am wrong, please provide applicable NM constitutional or statutory references.
And so why wouldn't we pressure our legislators to place such an amendment on the ballot? There has to be some way to "take her out" as the Republicans like to say, if she wins and is as horrible as she seems. Or maybe she'll "self-recall" after a couple of years as certain other Republican governors have done.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM

79 posts, read 231,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Based on the link, I'd say, after reading it, that this was an incorrection; there was nothing in the article to support your claim, and your combination of anecdotal evidence and lecturing did nothing to bolster your argument. If you have a reputable basis, you'd do your argument credit by citing it.
Meant to kill the link, I was being facetious to show what aries stated could be spun any direction. I'll elaborate more possibly later, on the way out the door.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Here's a link to the article in The Economist:

Political polls--still worth reading?

A quote from the article: "Reaching young people is especially difficult. Only old ladies answer the phone, complains Bill McInturff of Public Opinion Strategies, a Republican polling firm."

Gives me hope--that, and the fact that a family member who swore he wasn't going to vote for anyone this election went out and voted early for Denish on Tuesday, after being appalled by Martinez' comments and demeanor in last weekend's debate. His vote was more against Martinez than for Denish. Can only hope that others are also waking up and seeing what Martinez is about.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,994,864 times
The Journal endorsed Susana! Do I find this suprising? No.

Albuquerqueans know Susana is the best person to help take back Santa Fe.

ABQJOURNAL OPINION/EDITORIALS: Susana Martinez Best Choice for Governor

Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post

Which is why, after votes are counted, she'll have almost 45% of Albuquerque votes cast.

Maybe it's not so much delusion, but merely really bad math skills?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM

And Santa Fe New Mexican endorsed Diane. Las Cruces paper endored Susana. Taos paper came out for Denish. No surprises.

What does surprise me is that they say there's an "enthusiasm gap" between Repubs and Dems. But my impression is that I've seen more Denish yard signs around town than I've ever seen for any other candidate in 21 years. I happened to drive through Martineztown along Edith in Albuquerque yesterday and figured I'd see some Martinez signs (since bradly says people will vote for someone just based on their name) and didn't see a single sign for Martinez, but plenty of Denish signs. Go figure. "Martineztown" for Denish. I guess they weren't taken in by the surname strategy.

In Corrales I noticed the yard signs for the two candidates were about equal in number. And I saw my first "Martinez/Sanchez" yard sign.

End of unscientific yard sign report.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,731,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post

ABQJOURNAL OPINION/EDITORIALS: Susana Martinez Best Choice for Governor
Take back Santa Fe? Where did SF go, who took it? If you mean take Santa Fe back to Texas, you are probably right. Or do you mean take Santa Fe back to the 50's?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,994,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
And Santa Fe New Mexican endorsed Diane. Las Cruces paper endored Susana. Taos paper came out for Denish. No surprises.

What does surprise me is that they say there's an "enthusiasm gap" between Repubs and Dems. But my impression is that I've seen more Denish yard signs around town than I've ever seen for any other candidate in 21 years. I happened to drive through Martineztown along Edith in Albuquerque yesterday and figured I'd see some Martinez signs (since bradly says people will vote for someone just based on their name) and didn't see a single sign for Martinez, but plenty of Denish signs. Go figure. "Martineztown" for Denish. I guess they weren't taken in by the surname strategy.

In Corrales I noticed the yard signs for the two candidates were about equal in number. And I saw my first "Martinez/Sanchez" yard sign.

End of unscientific yard sign report.

Yes, and I have been in Espanola for a week now with the family this paper endorsed Susana!!! Shocker!

And everyone here in Espanola, Los Alamos and Taos has Susana signs. As well as window signs.
Maybe you should get out more often aries.

Signs don't vote, but they show who is supporting who... so in that case the signs vote up here in Northern New Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Take back Santa Fe? Where did SF go, who took it? If you mean take Santa Fe back to Texas, you are probably right. Or do you mean take Santa Fe back to the 50's?
Oh Domino, lets not act like a fool

You Denish supporters don't want Susana because she won't rock the boat in Santa Fe, like Denish would.
The Unions have chosen their governor... and we know why.

And, yes I would like a 1970's-1980's Santa Fe. Not full of tourist traps and ugly homes all over our hills.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
I figured it would eventually happen, but I was hoping a candidate had the gumption to refuse to lend their voice to an autodialer. I've already gotten two from Martinez, and Denish hadn't committed that sin.

Until just now. It even had a "press '1' and you and I will be connected directly". After I pushed '1', I got a "sorry, this mailbox is full". Pure professionalism, ladies and gentlemen.

Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Diane. I'm writing in whatshisname come election day.. that is unless he autodials me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico