Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,917 times

Advertisements

There is only 1 good mex. restaurant in the whole Farmington area and that is Los Hermanitos.

Out of the whole state I think the best mex. restaurant is El Rancho and La Hacienda and those 2 are located in Portales,NM

and the mex.food in Albuquerque is alright, but it's overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j
There is only 1 good mex. restaurant in the whole Farmington area and that is Los Hermanitos.

Out of the whole state I think the best mex. restaurant is El Rancho and La Hacienda and those 2 are located in Portales,NM

and the mex.food in Albuquerque is alright, but it's overpriced.
And sadly, that place pales in comparison to Francisco's in Durango...<sigh>

Farmington USED to have some good places (Airporter, Paddock, etc.) What happened to them all?

Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 371,235 times
Mmmmm...New Mexican food, I miss it dearly and just reading the posts made me hungry. Here are a few of my favorites:

If you happen to venture north to Las Vegas try: Cocina de Raphael. Very typical NM food, sopapillas, tacos, etc. HUGE servings so come hungry! Also the S P I C & Span located on 7th street has great nachos! (had to edit this, this is actually the real name of the restaurant but the forum must have it blocked)

Albuquerque: Agree with other posters on Garcia's, Sadies, and one more that I can't remember the name...its right off of University about 2 blocks east of Central, behind that McDonalds on the right-hand side! The best Chimichangas ever!

Las Cruces: Si Senor...very typical NM food, mariachi's and a really cool bar (look up at the ceiling when you walk in!) also my favorite was El Sombrero Patio cafe on South Espina...wonderful quesadillas and salsa!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 237,832 times
The best, BEST chile relleno I've ever had was at Mary and Tito's on Fourth Street. Crispy, light outer shell, creamy white cheese inside, tender green chile--every bite pure heaven. My husband likes the carne adovado, which is also pretty great. I live in Southern California and you can't get New Mexican food anywhere around here. Every time we visit New Mexico we make time to go to Mary and Tito's. Also the Frontier, but then that's so famous it doesn't need mentioning.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM

28 posts, read 371,235 times
[We need to do a seperate thread just for breakfast burritos.[/quote]

Blakes Lotaburger...hands down! The number 2 with beans....mmmmmm!!!! Except they only serve breakfast til 11 0r 12...so don't count on sleeping late on the weekends if you want to try one of these excellent (yet giant) burritos!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaforeman
The best, BEST chile relleno I've ever had was at Mary and Tito's on Fourth Street. Crispy, light outer shell, creamy white cheese inside, tender green chile--every bite pure heaven. My husband likes the carne adovado, which is also pretty great. I live in Southern California and you can't get New Mexican food anywhere around here. Every time we visit New Mexico we make time to go to Mary and Tito's. Also the Frontier, but then that's so famous it doesn't need mentioning.

Actually, there's a place on Harbor in Fullerton called Anita's. They seem to do a pretty good job, all things considered.

Hey, they're one of the few places I've found that does 1--blue corn tortillas, 2--sopapillas, and 3--carne adovada.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:02 PM

35 posts, read 237,832 times
Default New Mexican food in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky
Actually, there's a place on Harbor in Fullerton called Anita's. They seem to do a pretty good job, all things considered.

Hey, they're one of the few places I've found that does 1--blue corn tortillas, 2--sopapillas, and 3--carne adovada.
Thanks--too bad I didn't know about Anita's last year when I worked near Fullerton. Now I work close to home in Riverside and Fullerton is just too long a drive. But I'll pass the info along to my former co-workers who are still out there.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM

5 posts, read 19,520 times
Default New Mexican Food in SoCal

There actually used to be one a few years back in Lakewood called "Santa Fe Station" that was really good. I was heartbroken when I found out they were being sold / closing. I haven't been back through the neighborhood since, but at the time they told me the new owners were going to reopen as a taqueria-style place (like LA needs another one of those.)

Going back more years than that I also remember a place in Hermosa Beach (but don't remember the name of it).- That had actually replaced one of my old favorites, Jammers. Nothing in that location ever seems to stick.... after it was the NM-style place it became an Indian/Middle Eastern place and that was the last time I went by there....

On the lookout for a socal nm-style restaurant until I can get out there and get the real deal!

Old 08-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpWithCALI
There actually used to be one a few years back in Lakewood called "Santa Fe Station" that was really good. I was heartbroken when I found out they were being sold / closing. I haven't been back through the neighborhood since, but at the time they told me the new owners were going to reopen as a taqueria-style place (like LA needs another one of those.)

Going back more years than that I also remember a place in Hermosa Beach (but don't remember the name of it).- That had actually replaced one of my old favorites, Jammers. Nothing in that location ever seems to stick.... after it was the NM-style place it became an Indian/Middle Eastern place and that was the last time I went by there....

On the lookout for a socal nm-style restaurant until I can get out there and get the real deal!
Are you thinking of Rosa's on PCH in Hermosa Beach? That place ROCKED. BTW--El Burrito Jr. is about two miles south in Redondo. ALWAYS a line outside that place, even though it's not NMex.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 36,674 times
what is the diff between new mexican and mexican food?...and is there regular mexican food available in alb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico