Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 PM

117 posts, read 531,702 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if others have some experiences to share about straw bale building in one of the 3 counties out in the East Mtns - Santa Fe, Torrance or Bernallilo. We are not looking for a builder, but would prefer to take on this project ourselves and gather for the most part, that New Mexico is pro straw bale as there certainly seem to be a good few existing homes in the state.

For those that might of walked this road, doing it themselves, was it as cost effective as you thought before starting out?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,168 times
I visited an associate who had a straw bale house made for herself, east of abq by about 40 minutes. This is second hand knowledge but she did say that it was more complex than she expected and she switched from one builder/architect to another. I'm sure that isn't too helpful but it's what I have

Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
There have been several LARGE homes built in Lincoln County, but the straw bales came from somewhere like Nebraska or Kansas - not sure. Definitely not local straw. Which means added shipping costs since it has to be trucked from the purchase source.

As far as other costs, can't answer - don't know. I do know that the cost is going to be affected by whether or not there is code enforcement during the construction phase - meaning that houses built in counties where there is little enforcement are going to be easier to get built.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I can't help you regarding Santa Fe, Torrance or Bernallilo countries, since we built our strawbale in northern NM.

We built it all ourselves off the grid without power tools, hand tools only & a solar well. So our situation does not really translate to yours. Also, ours is a small, 2-story cottage. We used post & beam construction with strawbale infill, no weight-bearing walls.

I can say that the hardest part of the whole process, IMHO, was the external plaster!

There are lots of great strawbale construction books out there on the market & some great websites. We used The Strawbale House by the Steens but also recommend the 2 books Straw Bale Building & Serious Straw Bale.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The only experience I have with straw bale as an insulation was in upstate New York one winter. We were visiting some friends that ran a dairy operation. They stored tons of hay in the loft above the room where the cows were kept. They also lined the outside walls of this space with a layer of bales all the way from the floor to the loft floor. The results were startling. The outside air temperature one morning was 35 deg below zero with a 15 mph Northwest wind. It was really cold. The inside of the barn was around 50 deg above and very humid. The only source of heat was the 60 cows sleeping there.

You could probably heat a straw bale house in a reasonable climate with a dog, couple of people and two kerosene lamps. Amazing structures.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
We have poured adobe floor in ours- warm as toast in the winter, sometimes from just the solar windows after the woodstove is out. In the summer it is so cool inside that I sometimes put on a light sweater.

A standard 23 in. 3-string bale laid flat of wheat straw has been tested to a R-54.7 according to research from University of Arizona.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I can't help you regarding Santa Fe, Torrance or Bernallilo countries, since we built our strawbale in northern NM.
Where did the straw originate from? And regardless of where it originated, where did you make your purchase?

Last edited by jaxart; 07-02-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
A final note is a reiteration of a point made earlier: it matters little whether the final truth about the R-value of straw bales walls is R-33 or R-43 or even R-53. Above R-30, the differences are minor and will usually be overshadowed by windows, floors, doors and ceiling/roof details.
Straw Bale Construction/Characteristics/Insulation - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

A lot of references starting here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Categor...e_Construction

Rich

Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We built it all ourselves off the grid without power tools, hand tools only & a solar well. So our situation does not really translate to yours. Also, ours is a small, 2-story cottage. We used post & beam construction with strawbale infill, no weight-bearing walls.

I can say that the hardest part of the whole process, IMHO, was the external plaster!
I'd be interested in any details you can provide on your experience... time spent, issues, price... and the good stuff. Infill is probably the safest and easiest to approve.

I like the idea of straw bale, but when it's all done they tend to be pretty expensive, and if you use natural plasters and flooring, they also need maintenance.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only source of heat was the 60 cows sleeping there.

You could probably heat a straw bale house in a reasonable climate with a dog, couple of people and two kerosene lamps. Amazing structures.
60 cows resting is ~800W x 60 or 48KW or 1,152 KW-hr/day. If you had an electric furnace in your home and the cost was 8c/ KW-hr, you'd be paying > $2,700/mo to provide this amount of heat. Not a small amount at all.

In a fairly well insulated house the energy cost of air infiltration dominates... so you then need to seal the place very well and provide a heat exchanger for fresh air in order realize additional energy reduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico