Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,161 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Europe currently. We will visit Alberquerque, Las Cruces, and Las Vegas this summer since we may retire in one of these cities in two years. We will arrive in Alberquerque on July 18, will rent a car and spend two weeks visiting both Alb. and Las Cruces. We fly to Las Vegas on August 1 and leave Aug. 8. We would like to secure the best deals possible for rental car and hotel. Any suggestion on how to go about that? Hotwire?Priceline? Craigsllist? I have never used any of these. Would really appreciate hearing from others who may have used these or other website. Which do you recommend? Is it best to book now or wait for a better deal closer to the arrival date?
Also, our visa card has a collision damage waiver....we will have to purchase liability insurance. Our overseas auto insurance will not cover us stateside. Anyone have any suggestions for a car rental company or anything to watch out for with the rental car?
Any suggestion is welcomed, thanks in advance, whitelotus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Las Vegas, Nevada or Las Vegas, New Mexico?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,161 times
Sorry, should have clarfified, Las Vegas, Nevada

Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
We would like to secure the best deals possible for rental car and hotel. Any suggestion on how to go about that? Hotwire?Priceline? Craigsllist? I have never used any of these. Would really appreciate hearing from others who may have used these or other website. Which do you recommend? Is it best to book now or wait for a better deal closer to the arrival date?
Also, our visa card has a collision damage waiver....we will have to purchase liability insurance. Our overseas auto insurance will not cover us stateside. Anyone have any suggestions for a car rental company or anything to watch out for with the rental car?
In the US, we have been using www.expedia.com for most of our hotel and car rentals for over 15 years with good results. Prior to that I use to prefer Travelocity Travel: Airline Tickets, Hotels, Flights, Vacations, Cruises & Car Rentals , but my wife took over all the arrangements...

We have always tried to get Avis, Hertz or National in our car rentals for the last 25 years or so. It seems that the cheaper companies do not come out cheaper.

When to book hotels and cars ? Good question. Probably never over 90 days in advance. Hotels and cars we usually book one to two weeks in advance and has worked out for us, but most of our travel has been work related and scheduling. Las Vegas, NV has many deals, it is a major tourist spot (I hope you gathered).

Good luck!

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico