Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 22,785 times

Advertisements

jaxart, another question -- can you grow tomatoes? I'm originally from the deep south and I miss the tomatoes we grew there. It doesn't get warm enough here to grow tomatoes. I've managed a few varieties meant for colder climates, but they just don't taste the same, they don't get as big or as juicy, and it's a lot of work for inferior results. If you can grow tomatoes there, I might be tempted to move just for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,924,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PazDulce View Post
jaxart, as an outdoorsman, do you not get your fix in NM?
You would need to see the area I live in. It's mountainous and timber covered and my town averages 7,000 ft in elevation. I live right at that elevation. So it's a totally different climate than where the two largest cities of Albuquerque and Las Cruces are located. And although limited by the lack of water, outdoor activities are abundant and one reason so many people from surrounding flatlands come here to vacation. Weather in the warm months is very conducive to camping, backpacking, off road trail riding (horses and bicycles), etc.

As for gardening, I don't myself attempt to. I have a hard time growing anything, and I used to think I inherited my mom's green thumb. My soil is very poor and what does bloom is fodder for the deer, which are a huge nuisance nowadays. Seems like as the town has grown over the years, the urban deer population has gone right along.

But there are places, even here in the higher elevations, where the soil is fertile and irrigation rights are owned and people do grow edibles. The Hondo Valley was once a noted apple orchard area before the trees began dying off for some reason about fifty years ago. Those who have the best results ( and good soil ) are the ones who have good southern exposure for their garden plots with full sun during most of the daytime hours.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,107 times
Just from a property perspective, Cerrillos versus Tesuque, there's a reason for the disparity in pricing. Tesuque is more desirable, as it's very much part of 'greater Santa Fe', close to the Northside, the Opera, etc. Homes will sell slowly there, slower than in town-proper, but faster than Cerrillos.

Cerrillos is really part of 'greater Madrid' with the same slow sales cycle and - as you've noted - the same vibe. So looking at it purely from a 'day you buy is the day you start selling' perspective, Tesuque is a smarter purchase.

Tesuque will probably be a better bet for your kids as they get older and start getting involved in sports & other extra curricular events. More community and closer connections to the town of SF.

In either case, as other posters have mentioned, be sure to have the title work done properly, and insured, by a recognized national title company, make sure the property is inspected, and if there's a well, have it inspected for purity, mechanical condition and flow. If you're working with a realtor, that's part of the process, but if you're working directly with a seller, you need to keep on top of these issues right through to the closing table.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 PM

I am working with a realtor. I will be sure to have the title work done properly -- sounds as if that might be even more of an issue in NM than it is other places, more important to make sure it's done right and properly insured. Both properties I am looking at have had recent well inspections; that was one of the first things I asked about. I have a well now and had issues with it when I first purchased this property, spent a lot of money getting it up to snuff, and I know from experience that I don't want to have to deal with that, especially in a place where water is so scarce.

Since we homeschool, I want to become involved with other homeschoolers in the area, build our community, and I really think that will be easier to do in Tesuque since it's closer to Santa Fe proper, too. I hear you about the proximity to Santa Fe being important as the kids become more and more involved in extra-curricular activities.

The Cerrillos property is just a dream, but I am leaning heavily towards Tesuque. It's also a gorgeous property, right at the edge of the National Forest and the ski basin, and I think it'll be easier to sell, should I need to. I am really hoping that won't be an issue -- I am so drawn to the area, the land and the history and the and love the weather so much, I think I might actually want to settle in one place for an extended period -- but if it should become a necessity, I want to be able to make it happen with as little hassle as possible.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. I really appreciate you helping me work myself around to making a decision.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,100,586 times
Well, if you come, welcome to New Mexico! Regularly eating green chile is a residency requirement you should be aware of.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

That's not a problem, as I do that already. In fact, I order some every year from a farm in New Mexico that ships nationwide. I love the local cuisine -- another plus in the "move to Santa Fe" column!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico