Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,444,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No, I think I said I had found centipedes in my house. I do not believe I said "red-head centipedes" The last centipede I had indoors was on a bathroom ceiling.

I can't comment your gardener. I have seen centipedes in several residential yards in the Albuquerque area.

That's it, end of story. I am not sure what your point is.

Rich
My point was that you seemed to be saying that since you've seen them, then everyone has them. If that's your point, you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
No, I think I said I had found centipedes in my house. I do not believe I said "red-head centipedes" The last centipede I had indoors was on a bathroom ceiling.

I can't comment your gardener. I have seen centipedes in several residential yards in the Albuquerque area.

That's it, end of story. I am not sure what your point is.

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
My point was that you seemed to be saying that since you've seen them, then everyone has them. If that's your point, you are wrong.
Whatever, lets not play word games and let's stay on topic...

Rich

Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
I live in ABQ and have had visits from both centipedes and scorpions in my house, so have resorted to spraying even though I'm not fond of that either, but don't want to step on a scorpion in my bare feet! I usually only have to spray 1x year and that usually does the trick. My main problem is ants they keep trying to take over my kitchen.
I have never heard of a 'line' either. good luck.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,015,406 times
Northern Idaho

Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
I have to agree with Poncho. It probably has more to do with your surroundings. We lived in Valencia Co for 7 years and yes, I gardened a lot. I don't think I ever saw either of them, but we did have one year with lots of black widows. Here, in AR we are not 5000 ft, but closer to 1,000 but we have lots of forrest surrounding our property. We also have lots of centipedes.

Nita

Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,077,193 times
Default Thanks for replies

I was just perusing this topic again, and realized this was my own thread, started a few years ago. Thanks for all the replies-it seems others on CD are also interested in 'critters' in the SW, so maybe this info will help someone else, too.

BTW, when I said 'where's the line', obviously it was a bit tongue in cheek-and yes, there IS a line-perhaps Northern Idaho as someone responded [ha ha]....
People are a bit literal on CD.
I think my general point of saying a 'line' is that you will obviously find m any scorpions, recluse, etc in, say, tuscon, and perhaps n ot so many in ABQ or SF....And the answers do seem to indicate that yes, altitude does make a difference; even 1000 feet can show a reduction, as well as the regional zones within a particular city.

I'm sure there is no 'official line'-an insect border-but there may be less chance in one locale vs. another, an hour apart.
Thanks again!
Cheers!

Last edited by lrmsd; 10-21-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM

307 posts, read 686,220 times
Tuscon is full of Tarantulas. I've seen a couple here in NM, but AZ, damn.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 56,280 times
Location, location, location...

I've seen more scorpions and centipedes in Austin at 700 feet than I ever did in Sedona at 4300 feet or Roswell or Santa Fe.

However, those very fast spider/scorpion looking things that raced around on my garage floor with their pinchers and fangs scare the sweet ba-jebus outta me. I never saw those in Texas.

Children of the night...or children of the corn...or something.

***EDIT TO ADD***

The scary menacing bug I was referring to is known as a Solifugid.

Ick and ahhh!

Last edited by westernjohn; 10-22-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,349,236 times
I must kill a scorpion a day here in Eastern OK. My house is built into a hillside with lots of rocks and I garden heavily. In our guest apartment which was dug out of the hill I had killed 7 one day. I never saw a scorpion before moving here and thought they were tiny lobsters (I know I am no where near a beach) but had never seen one in my life. They are horrible and I worry all the time when my grandchildren come that they'll get bitten by one. Now I was stung once many years ago and it hurt but with lots of benadryl I survived. Snakes is another problem here. Gosh, maybe in retirement I should like for a townhouse on the 15th floor so they can't get up that far.

My point is Northern New Mexico is on my list of possible retirement areas and glad to hear no scorpions.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernjohn View Post
The scary menacing bug I was referring to is known as a Solifugid.

Ick and ahhh!
"Niño de la tierra" or "Child of the Earth"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico