Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM

35 posts, read 130,042 times

Advertisements

I was born in Roswell. Much of my family still live there. Including both of my parents.

My husband and I are contemplating moving back to Roswell.

But I haven't lived there since I was a child.

I now have 3 children. 1 which we believe to be on the autism spectrum (possibly Asperger's).

So he will be fully evaluated upon enrolling in any public school in the RISD.

I have done a little reading up on the stats of the public elementary schools in Roswell. But there is little or no parent reviews on any of the schools.

I am looking for 1st or 2nd hand experience of parents who have placed a special needs child in one of these schools.

Any and all input is very much appreciated!
Erin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,798 times
have you got any reply?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Nope.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,739,427 times
Services for special needs kid are much better in Texas than in New Mexico. Is staying in Texas an option?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 AM

It's not so much that Texas is no longer an option. I love Texas. Always lived here, besides Germany.

But this particular area is (IMO) failing the "at risk" children...that are special needs...yet high functioning.

Your child would have to be severely mentally handicapped, with non-verbal issues...in order to receive prompt and proper care in this area...of Texas.

There are some other areas of the state where the Independent school systems have better resources, programs, staffing, perspective, and act on them.

Alice, TX is not one of them. So, it's not Texas as a whole I have a problem with.

There is a lot behind the scene that has lead us to this point.

To make a longer story, even longer...LOL...

My husband and I decided, due to the lack of support for our high functioning autistic son, in the Jim Wells county, Texas...that we were going to move. We stuck it out for 4 years...and David is still falling further and further behind and being retained...this year...once again. With no offer to evaluate or refer him any where.

So, we decided to move last fall. But when the funds became available, this past spring...as we were preparing to move to another city in Texas....my father told us the drilling contract we had all been waiting for was finally going to happen. In Wyoming.

So....we changed our course. Wyoming. But after 6 months of red tape the gov't put a huge hold on the whole thing...right as we were days from picking up our U-Haul! They have no idea how long it will be before drilling will commence, now. They are saying months to years. Mind you, we went through this 2 years ago. I have no intention of waiting any longer. I cannot homeschool my son. And I refuse to stick him back in a system where he is ostracized and falling further and further behind.

After speaking to my parents and my husband about the new situation...drilling contract on an indefinite hold...now what do we do...yada yada...both families decided...if the school system in Roswell, NM is good enough and the special ed program is reputable...we should consider moving near my parents (they are in Roswell right now). My mother knows a lady who works in the RISD special ed dept, personally. And from what research I have done thus far...it looks promising.

My grandmother is not being pleasant to live with. My parents are forced to live with her because they lost their home (here in Alice, TX) during the mess with a drilling company, 2 years ago. And my mother was a huge support with my 3 children, especially my oldest (who is "on the autism spectrum").

So, it's not that Texas is out of the question. Just that...if we are going to move again...and if the schools are equipped to teach my son adequately (in RISD)...with my parents living in that part of the U.S....then Roswell, NM is a good place to consider.

Hope I made some sense! LOL I didn't sleep last night. Been up for 2 days.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,798 times
Finally, you got a decision.. hmm.. actually, I'm a special ed teacher from Malaysia. I'm here looking for any suggestion of great special ed school where can I (and my friends) visit.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 AM

426 posts, read 1,089,717 times
Have you considered other "larger" cities in New Mexico as opposed to Rosewell? What did you hear about Roswell's SpEd program that made it sound promising? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico