Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,237 times

Advertisements

I live and love living in Bloomfield! Yes, it is not a paradise but if you get out of your car and off your butt-there are alot of positive things here. Bloomfield is one big family, most of the people here were born and raised in this area. Most of the people are related, either by blood or by the fact that they have grown up together. Bloomfield has a wonderful sense of community. Beauty is in the way you approach something... I like the fact that I can drive 5 minutes out in the hills and not see another living person for hours. I like that I can go to the store and see people that I can call by name. I like going to restaurants where the staff know what I drink. I think you are missing the most important part of what makes a house a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,896,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'd be more concerned with winter than summer! It gets cold up there.
That's exactly what I'm looking for....an escape from months-long HOT summers.

I've already turned on my AC in Alamogordo (March), but won't need it in Farmington until probably early June. It will cool off up there at least 4-6 weeks earlier, too, toward the end of September, on average, if the patterns from the last few years hold.

It was 90 here yesterday.

You can really feel the difference in the heat once you get past Bernalillo/ABQ. It starts warming up fast. I was comfortable when I left Durango/Farmington Friday morning.....and I turned on my car AC past Socorro.

What a wuss, huh? It does get hot in the northern part of the state, but not to the extent that the southern half does.

I guess after a lifetime of it in West Texas, I just don't want to put up with it any more. The heat in Alamogordo, Las Cruces, Roswell, Carlsbad, et al....is every bit as bad as WT--and sometimes worse!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM

977 posts, read 1,959,131 times
I used to live in Farmington and work in Durango. The commute is hit or miss. They are in the process of widening 550 in Colorado so it will be 4 lanes. That was the biggest issue, because people in SW Colorado are scared to go the speed limit, especially in rain or snow. Getting behind them on the 2-lane highway on a daily basis gets old very quickly. And I'm not talking about 2-3 MPH under, I am talking about 5-15 under on a nearly daily basis, sometimes as much as 30 under. Yes, 35 in a 65. Something to think of if you consider living in Durango.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
OP - I suggest you rent a small place near your office in Farmington for a few months until your work activities let you learn more about the area. Then you will know what each place offers or not. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,896,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I used to live in Farmington and work in Durango. The commute is hit or miss. They are in the process of widening 550 in Colorado so it will be 4 lanes. That was the biggest issue, because people in SW Colorado are scared to go the speed limit, especially in rain or snow. Getting behind them on the 2-lane highway on a daily basis gets old very quickly. And I'm not talking about 2-3 MPH under, I am talking about 5-15 under on a nearly daily basis, sometimes as much as 30 under. Yes, 35 in a 65. Something to think of if you consider living in Durango.
Where are they widening it? It will certainly be a lot easier if they ever do that.

I would not want to make that commute on a daily basis for sure, as the traffic can be very heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico