Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,033 times

Advertisements

I've spent the past few late nights browsing through these forums reading over a lot of data, but I figured I'd make a post for the hell of it and see if anything unique pops up.

I'm in my mid 20's and my job is relocating me out to the NW new mexico/SW colorado area. My central territory will be Farmington, but it looks like my area will reach up into cortez, and as far east as Cuba/Chama- but the vast majority will be in Farmington.

I'll have a company car, so gas and mileage is not an issue. Just time spent driving

I'm really big on outdoors, and I like to be active, but I want to avoid living in the desert, kinda hoping for some greenery. Trees would be super nice

I haven't read much good about farmington, and it looks kinda ugly, and I'm not a fan of baseball at all. Ive heard worse about Bloomfield. With that being said, do I have any options of living(RENTING) outside of the city in a decent area that isnt all dust, rocks and desert? I'd like to be as close to the mountains as possible without having to driving an extra hour or two each day.

I know its a shot in the dark, but I'm an east coast boy, so I'm hoping someone knows something I dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,527,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacist View Post
I've spent the past few late nights browsing through these forums reading over a lot of data, but I figured I'd make a post for the hell of it and see if anything unique pops up.

I'm in my mid 20's and my job is relocating me out to the NW new mexico/SW colorado area. My central territory will be Farmington, but it looks like my area will reach up into cortez, and as far east as Cuba/Chama- but the vast majority will be in Farmington.

I'll have a company car, so gas and mileage is not an issue. Just time spent driving

I'm really big on outdoors, and I like to be active, but I want to avoid living in the desert, kinda hoping for some greenery. Trees would be super nice

I haven't read much good about farmington, and it looks kinda ugly, and I'm not a fan of baseball at all. Ive heard worse about Bloomfield. With that being said, do I have any options of living(RENTING) outside of the city in a decent area that isnt all dust, rocks and desert? I'd like to be as close to the mountains as possible without having to driving an extra hour or two each day.

I know its a shot in the dark, but I'm an east coast boy, so I'm hoping someone knows something I dont.
Sounds like you're moving to the wrong place. All of that area, save the higher mountain areas, is arid to semi-arid. Even the mountains will seem brown and arid to your East Coast tastes. Durango is prettier, but is very high priced and is no easy daily commute to Farmington. Chama is a pretty spot, but is very isolated and the approximately 80% Hispanic population and culture may be a real culture shock for you--it's also close to a two-hour one-way drive to Farmington. Cortez is a little cooler than Farmington, but still is arid. Dolores is a nice spot near the mountains, just 12 miles north of Cortez, but that would make a long commute to Farmington, and Dolores is getting pretty pricey, too.

If I had to work in Farmington, I'd probably live in Aztec. It's not a bad town, but, like Farmington, is arid and hot in the summer. This is one of those places where you won't have it all--you probably are not going to find what you really want.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,033 times
I spent about 8 years in FL, so the heat isn't up there on my concerns. I really don't have a choice in the matter as far as work territory, so I'm just trying to make the most of it. Aztec seemed like it could be a winner, considering it was kinda closer to durango, and out of inner farmington. I'll focus on that area a bit. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,242,877 times
I'd be more concerned with winter than summer! It gets cold up there.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacist View Post
I spent about 8 years in FL, so the heat isn't up there on my concerns. I really don't have a choice in the matter as far as work territory, so I'm just trying to make the most of it. Aztec seemed like it could be a winner, considering it was kinda closer to durango, and out of inner farmington. I'll focus on that area a bit. Thanks!

it does get cold there in the winter and it is a very ugly area of the country, you would probably like Durango better but the drive can be terrible in the winter, but I do know of a couple people who make the drive. Aztec is country, its a roughneck-hillbilly area, my g/f is from there. I would rather live in Aztec or Farmington though, stay away from Bloomfield.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,293 times
Chama is like Heaven on Earth!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM

214 posts, read 1,311,935 times
Yeah but the commute from Heaven to Hell every day would get old.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,773,150 times
Aztec would be a more realistic commute that's for sure LOL!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,738,522 times
I really don't understand all the Farmington bashing. I've been there several times and found it to be a nice community, fairly large by NM standards. My only real complaint would be the isolation, and that it's a little too small.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM

529 posts, read 1,328,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Chama is like Heaven on Earth!
In the summer time maybe. In the winter time, Chama seems to be the only place in New Mexico with 2 foot snow accumulations. The town's only grocery store's roof collapsed a couple of years ago due to heavy snow.

...but if lot's of snow if your thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico