Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,994,408 times

Advertisements

"The Town of Taos Council were also present to hear the comments of the more than 260 people to make amendments to a resolution opposing the training, which was adopted unanimously at the conclusion of the three-hour meeting."[1]

My apologies if this issue is discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see it mentioned.

The US Air Force wants to use the Rio Grande Valley of northern New Mexico, likely southern Colorado as well, as training ground for low-level flights. The aircraft in question is the CI-30 Osprey (with huge propellers), which would fly out of Cannon Air Force Base, doing tactical flyovers primarily on weekdays, three times a night, at 200 feet.

While these training flights are said intended to avoid towns and wilderness, they obviously will have a significant impact on the quality of life in Taos and surrounding areas. Moderator cut: Please, no political bashing in this forum. It might be noted that while the Air Force cites national security and a need to train as reasons, Moderator cut: Please, no political bashing in this forum. Or that somehow no one from Cannon Air Force Base was 'available' to attend this important pubic meeting.

Moreover, a quick look a the map will reveal that a fair portion of New Mexico is already retained by the military for their sole use, and exactly such things. Or that this type of activity occurs in other more suitable military reservations in this nation. If not the sole purpose, the better part of southern Nevada is one big military reservation. Also that Fallon, NV, less than an hour east of Carson City, NV, has a large Naval Air Station. Not far east of that town, on highway US 50, there are signs warning of low flying aircraft. Anyone having been there will know there is little to no one to disturb in that desolate valley.

Moderator cut: Please, no political bashing in this forum. Please, keep it local to New Mexico.
1) 'Hundreds attend Taos forum to discuss proposed Air Force training flights; Cannon extends comment period,' The Taos News
> Archives > News > Hundreds attend Taos forum to discuss proposed Air Force training flights; Cannon extends comment period

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-03-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,383 times
Tough cookies, if the gov't owns most of that land they'll do what they want.. and unless Taos has a deed to the air above it I doubt they'll make any real impact.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM

366 posts, read 870,178 times
The Osprey's are amazing aircraft, I love seeing them in the skies above Albuquerque. To bad they are doing night flights you won't get a good view of them.

Not sure where they got the CI-30 designation from, if it is an Osprey it is going to be a V-22 and the air force variant we have in NM is the CV-22.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,754,351 times
That's probably supposed to be C-130...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
The US Air Force wants to use the Rio Grande Valley of northern New Mexico, likely southern Colorado as well, as training ground for low-level flights. The aircraft in question is the CI-30 Osprey (with huge propellers), which would fly out of Cannon Air Force Base, doing tactical flyovers primarily on weekdays, three times a night, at 200 feet.
Air crews would be flying the Lockheed C-130 Hercules and the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey. (From reference: http://www.cannon.af.mil/shared/medi...100820-041.pdf )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Or that somehow no one from Cannon Air Force Base was 'available' to attend this important pubic meeting.
Your own reference states "While no officials from Cannon were able to attend the meeting, Taos Mayor Darren Córdova opened the forum by reporting that base commander Col. Stephen Clark officially extended the public comment period to Nov. 15." and "Officials from Cannon reportedly plan to attend the next Peaceful Skies Coalition meeting, scheduled for Oct. 11 at 6:30 p.m. in the Kit Carson Board Room on Cruz Alta Road."

Old 10-05-2010, 03:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,913,600 times
The Ospreys were pretty loud doing low flying over Edgewood. I would not want that regularly. And I am used to hearing planes and helos (I have lived on bases) and I have to say the Ospreys are very very loud when they fly low. I would not want any regular flight paths for the Ospreys over my neighborhood. We got lots of helos when I lived in Edgewood and they were just fine, no problem with them. I can sympathize with anyone who wants to avoid any regular flights of Ospreys near their home.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 AM

888 posts, read 1,188,109 times
While it may be inconvenient to some, constant training keeps these crews alert and proficient.
A lack of proper training, will get these men and women KILLED.....along with anyone on the ground unlucky enough, to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time!
I grew up at the end of a runway, you DO get used to it.

Steve

Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,739,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
While it may be inconvenient to some, constant training keeps these crews alert and proficient.
A lack of proper training, will get these men and women KILLED.....along with anyone on the ground unlucky enough, to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time!
I grew up at the end of a runway, you DO get used to it.

Steve
I agree. I used to live in (under?) the flight path of the Concorde - loved seeing (and hearing) it go over every Saturday morning.
We get the Navy, and now and then, the Air Force flying training exercises overhead here in LC. It doesn't happen that often and it is virtually the only air traffic that we ever get. I find it exciting and comforting at the same time, knowing that our service people are close by and perfecting their skills.
Small price to pay for our security.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 AM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
You mean they weren't getting the proper training before, without buzzing Taos and other populated areas? OMG.

I've been visited by Ospreys flying low over my house near KAFB. The whole house shakes and rattles. If you like that (and you don't have PTSD) then by all means, go live closer to the noise.

I absolutely want our service people to perfect their skills, just not over people's houses. The state is mostly empty space so there's no need to fly low right over densely populated areas.

I'll quote a friend of mine who is a veteran: "Saying jet noise is the sound of freedom is like saying jet fuel seeping into your water supply is the taste of freedom."

Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 AM

363 posts, read 1,044,542 times
Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico