Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,913,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
OMG Cathy! You're going to Texas and the FIRST thing you're going to do is eat??
What about going to the greatest grocer ever?
(Okay I had to throw that in)
Speaking of restaurants, we went to Casa Suenos yesterday. Charlie liked it alot. We both had the buffet and I don't do well with buffets but I ate it anyway but next time we go, I'll get something else from the menu.
Loved the atmosphere and decor.
Well, considering that the nearest HEB is 195 miles away in Midland, that's sort of out of the way, LOL!! I'll be in Ft Davis!

I pass on their buffet, too, and get something from the menu. The buffet tends to sit there too long, and looks dried-out. I've liked everything I've had so far. They did bring me a plate of nachos, which I ordered from the appetizer menu, thinking I wouldn't get so much food. It was STILL a pile, and I took a doggie bag home.

The nachos had mild green chile instead of hot jals, so it was bland........but tasted good otherwise.

The thing that drives me crazy about the restaurants around here is the great variability. The same restaurant can be great one day, and barely fit to eat the next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,297,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, considering that the nearest HEB is 195 miles away in Midland, that's sort of out of the way, LOL!! I'll be in Ft Davis!

I pass on their buffet, too, and get something from the menu. The buffet tends to sit there too long, and looks dried-out. I've liked everything I've had so far. They did bring me a plate of nachos, which I ordered from the appetizer menu, thinking I wouldn't get so much food. It was STILL a pile, and I took a doggie bag home.

The nachos had mild green chile instead of hot jals, so it was bland........but tasted good otherwise.

The thing that drives me crazy about the restaurants around here is the great variability. The same restaurant can be great one day, and barely fit to eat the next time!
Well I don't know if ya'll are joking about HEB but, I was doing really good about missing Texas until HEB came into the subject. I really miss that place, their meat was always good, the veggies were fresh and it wasn't as expensive there as it is here. My Mom always brings me tortillas and fajitas when they come so I can freeze them. When I went to the store here and asked for fajitas they looked at me like I was from outer space.

Cathy I am so jealous some real Mexican food that you don't have to cook.

We try not to eat out here very often, it seems like everytime we eat out my 8 yr old ends up sick. So needless to say I do alot of cooking.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 AM

7,399 posts, read 19,373,636 times
We Texans DO miss HEB and wish they had one here or something like it.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Well I don't know if ya'll are joking about HEB but, I was doing really good about missing Texas until HEB came into the subject. I really miss that place, their meat was always good, the veggies were fresh and it wasn't as expensive there as it is here. My Mom always brings me tortillas and fajitas when they come so I can freeze them. When I went to the store here and asked for fajitas they looked at me like I was from outer space.

Cathy I am so jealous some real Mexican food that you don't have to cook.

We try not to eat out here very often, it seems like everytime we eat out my 8 yr old ends up sick. So needless to say I do alot of cooking.
I hear that. I miss HEB too, so while it is a running joke between Song and me, we really do miss it, too! They had been doing feasibility studies of one in El Paso, but I guess they ended up nixing the idea.

Like you, I do a lot of cooking, too, far more than I ever did in Midland.

Have you tried asking for "skirt steak" here? I was shocked to find cabrito at Lowe's....and front/mid/hindquarters, too, take your pick. The cashier (Hispanic, mid-20s or so) asked me how to cook it......

I got 3 packages ($$$$$) at that time, but I haven't seen it for several months since.

So, nearly everything is available to make your own, so it could be worse.

When I go visit Sis, I'm hitting Central Market in Austin!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM

170 posts, read 454,193 times
OK you guys - what's a HEB?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutternize View Post
OK you guys - what's a HEB?
The best grocery chain in Texas and Mexico....the larger ones have just about anything you could want food-wise.

H-E-B — Here Everything's Better.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM

170 posts, read 454,193 times
Ahh. Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutternize View Post
Ahh. Thanks
If you ever get a chance, stop in at one of the larger ones.

There is just about anything you could want for all sorts of "ethnic" cooking....Tex-Mex, Mexican, Chinese, Greek, Italian...et al!

Central Market in Austin is to die for. The produce alone is incredible, just aisles and aisles of it.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,237,528 times
Yes, it's a great store. I first experienced it in San Antonio (the one in TX!). A few years later, Ft Worth got its own Central Market.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yes, it's a great store. I first experienced it in San Antonio (the one in TX!). A few years later, Ft Worth got its own Central Market.
I didn't know that FW had a Central Market!!! Oooh...I'm SO jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico