Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Mexico General Obligation Bond D?
For 7 53.85%
Against 5 38.46%
Undecided 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:44 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,384,718 times

Advertisements

With the NM General Obligation Bond being on the ballot, I was wondering if you are for it, against it, or undecided.

I am personally for it, since it will help improve facilities at UNM (considering I am a UNM student). The two initial projects will be for a renovation of Reibsomer Hall, and a Phase II Addition for the College of Education. However, in the longer term, there are plans to do a renovation of Farris Engineering Center, which is important to me as I am a Computer Science student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,755,834 times
As long as UNM has the screwed up priorities it has, I'll oppose any bond issues as a
means of bringing pressure to bear on the regents until they start focusing on education
instead of 65 year free leases to condo developers, massively excessive salaries for
unneeded administrators and generally screwing the pooch..

Only when the cupboard is bare will they be forced to change.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,998,390 times
I beg for all of you. Please vote for BOND D!

It is real asset to our higher insitutions of learning!!!! Especially UNM. They need it. BADLY!!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,199,213 times
Eh; as ticked as I am at UNM's regents, these projects go toward facilities, not bloated salaries. What's more, the facilities tend to be the type that are useful; they're not building new ethnic studies or art history buildings with these funds (though they could just be giving those buildings cleverly disguised names).

I'd much prefer to see all the satellite branches not get so much funding for improvements; they may resonate well with the voters but they're definitely the most expendable part of NM's public higher education system.

I think I'll vote against the other three bonds, though. I don't think our seniors need $7.8M, most of which are in rural areas.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM

9,383 posts, read 20,851,479 times
Another ploy on the "It's only a cup of coffee a day" psyche. I will be voting 'no'. I already pay high enough taxes as it stands on my property. I figure there are other line items within the state budget that can (and should) be slashed, and this money could be reallocated to bricks and mortar projects.

In times of recession, the state always wants more money from the taxpayer, as is the case in times of prosperity. It is time for the state to re-think its spending habits during times of recession, in a similar manner the rest of us are. I'll vote no, and drag five friends to the voting booth and have them vote no as well, if I can help it.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,455,598 times
Bond A for seniors YES

Bond B for libraries YES

Bond C for schools NO

Bond D for schools NO

I'm tired of the mismanagement of funds for schools in this state. Throwing money at systems that routinely overspend, loses funds, embezzle funds and are bloated with too many administrators is a poor use of my cash, even if it's only about $20 a year.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:20 PM

888 posts, read 1,188,603 times
Funding for higher education facilities in New Mexico (NOT sports complexes), is funding for the future of New Mexico.
I'm gonna vote, YES.

Steve

Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,455,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Funding for higher education facilities in New Mexico (NOT sports complexes), is funding for the future of New Mexico.
I'm gonna vote, YES.

Steve
Not really.

If they don't graduate HS, they are not going to college.

When they graduate from college, they don't all stay in NM.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,456,901 times
I support Third World higher education especially where I live, so I will vote yes. I doubt a no vote will have the desired effect of cutting administrative costs.

UNM has several programs for high school students, does a lot of outreach to the public schools and their facilities are well used by students in all grades. The bond will also benefit Carrie Tingley Hospital and the Health Sciences.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,998,390 times
Wow good spirits, all of you.

New Mexico is 49th worst in the nation, and the laughing stock of the country for this.
VOTE YES FOR ALL OUR SCHOOLS! That's OUR children people!! Your vote... their future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: