Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

I have wondered for some time how New Mexico residents break down when it comes to "New Mexico Style" or "Santa Fe Style", or maybe just "Southwestern Style" in their interior design, clothing, or however you define it. I have seen a broad range of tastes from zero sign of regional style, to minimal, to the whole nine yards: houses decked out with Navajo rugs, Indian pottery, Hispanic retablos and bultos, tinwork, turquoise-colored doors, etc., and the people in concho belts and Native American jewelry.

So whether you are native or newcomer, where are you on a scale of 0 to 10 when it comes to embracing local design elements in your living space and/or clothing?

For me, I have a house that's more a midwestern than a southwestern style, it doesn't lend itself to much "New Mexico Style" but I do have a few pieces here and there that would look out of place in another part of the country. I enjoy places that have the "whole nine yards" but sometimes it also feels like a cliche. So I'm probably at around a 2 on a scale from 0 to 10, although someday I would like to have a more New Mexico-style house that lends itself to being filled with New Mexico art and style. To me it feels earthy and more grounded. I own one bolo (that I hardly ever wear) and one silver Navajo bracelet which I really like, but I've never been much for wearing jewelry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
For me, I have a house that's more a midwestern than a southwestern style, ... I own one bolo .... Navajo bracelet which I really like, but I've never been much for wearing jewelry.
Our house came with styling cues - like carved beams and a kiva fireplace.
I like them, but wouldn't put that stuff in on purpose - unless I was building new.

I like the stuccoed walls because with snow on them, they look wonderful. I like stuccoed walls, but I also like brick just fine.

I also have a bolo tie. I got it as a chile from my grandmother in Mesa, AZ. I have never worn it.

I also like SW jewelry, but also have never been much for wearing it. I also don't care if others wear it.

As for the modern kitch, like Kokopelli, Howling coyotes, some get really
offended for some reason. I don't have them, but don't mind them.

On a reasonable facimile of an adobe home, I don't mind fake vigas.
I think vigas look nice - even when not a functioning structural element.

I'm easily embarassed, but extremely hard to offend so doing "too much" just doesn't bother me much.

Much of the orginal pueblo "style" had roots in function and balance, so attempts
to mimic that appeal to my artistic sense and balance even if I know it's fake.

OTOH, I don't like it when such "style" is piled-on, layer-upon-layer -- just because.
It violates my sense of balance and thus has no appeal.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
I embrace the architecture of New Mexico (Santa Fe style, Southwestern...all of them). I just don't embrace these things with my wallet. And...I do like seeing women wearing turquoise and silver.

That said, in a consistent effort to cover the bloody truth that I am "cheap," I prefer to tell people my "style" is eclectic. Eclecticism is fueled primarily through a history of buying one piece of furniture at a time...you know...something on sale here and there.

If I had unlimited resources, I would have a Santa Fe style home with many beautiful rugs...but would stop (hopefully) shy of the pretentious exhibits such as fake coyotes and ladders going up to now where.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
We embrace the architecture and some of the art. As builders and designers we like to mix old with new. Here is a house we own near Old Town. Built in the 20's that we added 1200 sq ft to and mixed in modern textures. Our clients seem to like it. These were before appliances were added. If you look at the fixtures you can see the modern cues.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
NMHacker, is this house for sale? It's beautiful.

Some of my interior is southwestern style and it's mixed in with some other styles too.
I also wear jewelry that is southwestern including turquoise which is my favorite stone.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
NMHacker, is this house for sale? It's beautiful.
Not for sale at this time. Check with me in a year.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
My house is pueblo style, so the furniture, knick knacks, paintings, etc., all of which have a southwestern look, fit in nicely. When I lived in California, in a ranch style house, the same adornments looked out of place.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
I absolutely love visiting and spending time in Santa Fe and Taos. The Architecture is a welcome change... but I don't think I'd want to live in the middle of it year round. The look would get old to me.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I absolutely love visiting and spending time in Santa Fe and Taos. The Architecture is a welcome change... but I don't think I'd want to live in the middle of it year round. The look would get old to me.
This is interesting. I've heard the exact thing before. A friend who visited from Arkansas made the same comment when I was showing him around Santa Fe. I let the comment pass, but I wondered, what doesn't get old? I would think Arkansas would get old, too, even faster.

I have been in NM for 22 years and it still hasn't gotten "old" to me, unless it's because I like old.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I love the traditional architecture of the Southwest when it is true to tradition and not just a facade to attract newcomers. 'Spanish Colonial' is the bane of New Mexican architecture.

As far as the tacky knick-knacks, cultural appropriation (wannabes), and stolen artifacts, that I can do without. I have been in the homes of Native Americans with kachinas and Hispanic homes with Santos carvings and paintings but otherwise they decorate like most other Americans. If I were teleported into a house that was 100% filled with 'Southwestern motif' decorations, I would bet the farm it was a recent (and well meanining, I am sure) immigrant to this great state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico