Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,406 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We have purchased land in Silver City (Dos Griegos) for our retirement home and are also thinking about the future possibility of a family vacation home closer to winter activities (Valle Escondido, near Taos). We aren't "old" yet, but will be in time and wonder about the elevations at these two locales.

The property in Silver is at 6500' and I think 8700' near Taos. If anyone reading this is older and living at similar elevations, could you tell us what your experience has been? We did meet one gentleman in Angel Fire who was leaving becuse he couldn't take the altitude anymore. Right now we are active and in good health and plan to remain active in the beautiful outdoors of NM.

Also - does anyone have comments about the area between Taos and Angel Fire?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I lived in Taos and qualify as a retiree--I had no problem whatsoever with altitude. But some people react differently than others.

And the area between Taos and Angel Fire is a beautiful forest. I've made that trip and you might find a few, but very few dwellings along the primary 2-lane road.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
When I visited NM a couple of years ago I had a slight attack of angina climbing a hill in Sunspot. The mitigating circumstances were that I weighed over 320 lbs at the time and had been at sea level two days earlier. Sunspot is about 11,000 ft above sea level and there is not a lot of air in the air up there.

I would think that high altitude (lower Oxygen partial pressure) would be most detrimental to people with existing breathing problems and unacclimated visitors. In any case avoid strenuous activity until your body gets used to the altitude.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,557 times
High altitude increases the blood pressure and reduces the oxigen level, both factors can aggravate a preexisting heart condition. Ask your family doctor if you have any concerns, because everybody is different.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
My grandmother, at 94 with a heart condition, can't go to our place in Cloudcroft anymore. Frankly 9200 feet makes me a little light until I adjust. I think Silver probably wouldn't be as much of a problem after a little adjustment period. But the top of the Taos ski area would be. My cousin from Jersey got altitude sickness from the top of Sierra Blanca at 12K, I think Taos is a little higher than that.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 80,562 times
My brother lives at the Grand Canyon (7,000 ft I think??). When my father (65 and overwieght with heart problems) visits him he usually gets sick after a few days of activity. He gets shortness of breath and very tired, and eventually cold like symptoms. But he is not normally very physically active so maybe that is why it effects him. If you visit for a week or so and it doesn't bother you than you should be fine i would think.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I'm planning to move to Albuquerque and have the same questions as I have CHF. I have an appointment with a cardiologist in two weeks to ask his opinion. We lived in Albuq in the NE heights several years ago. It was at about 6000 ft. At the time I'd had a previous heart attack, and was a born again jogger. We hiked and ran all over those mountains. Then when I left Alb. I had another heart attack and bypass surgery. Six months after that I was climbing a 13,000 ft. peak in Nevada. Now my condition is worse so I'm a little concerned. The thing is though, your body manufactures more red blood cells to handle the lack of oxygen. There really isn't less oxygen in the air at altitude, there is less barometric pressure to help push it down into your lungs so you work harder to suck in air. Sir Edmond Hillary is prone to altitude sickness at relatively low levels but it doesn't stop him from doing his charity work in the Himalayas. They have had to rescue him by helicopter though. I get altitude sickness also but I learned how to control it. You have to force yourself to drink a lot of water (hyperhydrate). Not convenient when skiing for obvious reasons but that's why they warn you about the yellow snow.

It also helps to take an antihistamine or motion sickness pill (which is the same thing only when they call it antihistamine it's cheaper). If you don't want to take a pill or wear a patch, try taking ginger which is good for motion/altitude sickness. And most important if you are prone to altitude sickness...never, never drink alcohol within about 24 hours of going above 5000 or 6000 ft. Alcohol dehydrates you and dehydration is the main cause of altitude sickness. It'll make you colder too by the way. Drinking to stay warm has the opposite effect.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,557 times
Altitude affects people in different ways, those who are accostumed can handle it well at any age, but those who aren't have difficulties; nevertheless, the body has the ability to adjust after several days or weeks. Age in itself is not a problem, I saw very old people climbing hills in the Andes Mountains without complaint. If there is a heart disease will require a doctor's opinion before climbing to a high altitude. Modern drugs can help to compensate for the effects of high altitude.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 AM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
Taos is not at 12,000 ft elevation but it is high. I live in NM and the town
I live in is about 4400 ft where I live and there are a lot of seniors with
oxygen bottles. I think many of them smoked most of their lives but I'm
not sure. I think it is different for each of us. I know two people who are
in their early 70's and they can climb about any mountain in NM but they
are in very good shape especially for their age. I think Taos is about 7K
elevation but it could be a little higher. My sister lives just outside Santa
Fe and her house is at 7400 ft elev. I know because they have a altimeter
because they are pilots. I think Silver City is about 6K but it could be higher.
The only thing I don't like about Silver city is that it's to far from anything
else with the exception of Tucson which is great. If you like living in remote
areas it will be great. Tucson must be about 175 to 200 miles from Silver
but that's just a guess.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
I was refering to the top of the ski area. The original poster mentioned winter sports. Skiing on mountains back east, where the max elev. is 5 or 6K is very different from skiing out west where the mountains start at 5 or 6K and go up from there. The top of Taos ski area is about 12K. The town itself is a little under 7K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
Taos is not at 12,000 ft elevation but it is high. I live in NM and the town
I live in is about 4400 ft where I live and there are a lot of seniors with
oxygen bottles. I think many of them smoked most of their lives but I'm
not sure. I think it is different for each of us. I know two people who are
in their early 70's and they can climb about any mountain in NM but they
are in very good shape especially for their age. I think Taos is about 7K
elevation but it could be a little higher. My sister lives just outside Santa
Fe and her house is at 7400 ft elev. I know because they have a altimeter
because they are pilots. I think Silver City is about 6K but it could be higher.
The only thing I don't like about Silver city is that it's to far from anything
else with the exception of Tucson which is great. If you like living in remote
areas it will be great. Tucson must be about 175 to 200 miles from Silver
but that's just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico