Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:28 AM

54 posts, read 227,877 times

Advertisements

Portales, Clovis, Elida...anyone?

Hi any one have any thing to say regarding this area? Cost of living, quality of life, churches, schools, diversity? please w/b/ thank you

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-19-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 01:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Catherine........i never see anybody post about Clovis but i've been there a few times and here's my take.....Its about 35,000 people and is mainly flat as landscape goes. It has Cannon AFB as the main employer (900 civilian) and also lots of ranching and farming and dairy farms. There's the Southwest Cheese facility that makes Cheese products and the Mesa Corp Whey Powder processing facilty. There's talk of Ethenol plants being built also. They have a mall and all the national chain stores are in Clovis. Its very conservative and i believe Country Western is the main music out there. Every time i've been there the people are extremely friendly. Didn't noticed any stuck up people at all. Thats about all i can think of to tell ya......

Old 07-15-2007, 04:44 AM

thank you for posting. cat

Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I grew up in Portales. Lived there over 20 years.

Clovis is a small city. Population of 35,000 sounds about right. City data stats are here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Clovis-New-Mexico.html

Portales is much smaller. Around 12,000 people. City data stats here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Portales-New-Mexico.html

Elida is a very small town. I'd be surprised is there are 200 permanent residents. Not much there but houses, the local school, a convenience store, and maybe a tiny video rental place. City data states here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Elida-New-Mexico.html

Cost of living is cheap, at least compared to most places.

Quality of life? Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. More on this below.

Diversity. Being eastern New Mexico, there is of course a large Hispanic population. Speaking Spanish isn't necessary, but it will come in handy. African Americans are still an extreme minority. Eastern New Mexico University in Portales brings in quite a few students and teachers from Asia and the Middle East. So yeah, for being such a small rural community, the area really does have quite a bit of diversity. Growing up there, I had many Hispanic friends. One of my best friends was Chinese, and I knew kids from Iran, India, etc. One of my good friends that I went to school with all through college was half-Indian and half-Hungarian.

The good about the area:
Friendly people for the most part. You can find a jerk or a bigot if you look hard enough, but you'll have to look. If anything, people from away who come from more reserved or distant cultures sometimes find locals TOO friendly.

Cost of living is relatively low. Although it is going up. The Air Base is undergoing a major expansion, industry has moved in (especially to Clovis), and with that come higher real estate prices.

HOT weather, if that's your thing. Personally, this would go on "bad things about the area" list, but it may be what you're looking for. In the summer, you can expect weeks where it gets well over a hundred degrees every day, and you'll be lucky if it gets below 80 at night. Drought or near-drought conditions are not uncommon in some years.

Winters are mild compared to other parts of the country. I can remember one white Christmas as a kid. Some winters it didn't snow at all. However, my parents who still live there tell me they have been getting more snow in recent years. The area does shut down during a heavy snow. They just aren't equipped to deal with it. But the snow usually melts within a couple of days.

Shopping. Clovis has a decent mall and most of the big chain stores. Portales has a few. Most locals their take the 20 minute drive to shop in Clovis. Folks in Elida either drive the 45 minutes to Clovis or 45 minutes to Roswell. Last time I was there (which has been about 5 years ago), Elida didn't even have a grocery store. Most people who really want to SHOP make the drive to Lubbock, Amarillo, or Albuquerque.

The bad about the area:

Crime. Don't get me wrong. It isn't Jersey or LA or anything, but the crime statistics are above the national average. A lot of it is drug-related. There are gangs in the area, although random violence from them is rare. Most violence from them is pretty well targeted. Substance abuse is a problem, and that increases things like burglaries. Rarely did a year go by when at least one of the local convenience stores wasn't held up.

Public schools are not the greatest. Not terrible, but not great.

Poverty is a big problem. The overwhelming majority of folks are middle-class -- and more toward the lower end of middle class. Some people are truly poor. Local welfare rolls are pretty high.

Water is going to become a serious problem there over the next 50 years. The hundreds of dairies are using water that the landscape just can't support -- and they are doing it via irrigation from the water table. Once that is drained, it's gone.

Flies. Flies like you would not believe. From about April to October, count on half of every meal time being spent shooing flies off your food. All of the dairies in the area are breeding grounds for the little pests.

Entertainment. Unless you're into honky tonk bars or your idea of a good time is walking the mall or seeing a movie, there just isn't much. ENMU gets a rare concert, and the theater department puts on a play a couple of times a year. Most people who love the night life and like to boogie make the 90 minute drive to Lubbock, 100 minute drive to Amarillo, or 3 hour drive to Albuquerque.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,654 times
Default Clovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine777 View Post
Hi any one have any thing to say regarding this area? Cost of living, quality of life, churches, schools, diversity? please w/b/ thank you
Catherine777, my husband and I have just moved to Clovis from New Hampshire. Before we moved, I was discouraged by the negative comments about the city on this forum, but when my husband got a job transfer we were willing to give it a try. We are very pleased so far--we've only been here a couple of weeks, so please bear that in mind. We are thrilled to be back in New Mexico, having lived in Las Cruces for a year or so back in the late 90s. We plan to do lots of traveling around the state. Because we are nearing retirement age we are more interested in sightseeing than in nightlife. Our new home is lovely and was purchased for far less than our New Hampshire home sold for. We like the weather we've been having since we got here. The people in Clovis are very friendly and the food is great. We had lived in a very small town in NH and had to travel through lots of traffic to get to any kind of shopping, so the proximity of lots of stores and services is new to us.

When we lived in Las Cruces, I was very homesick for trees--there are lots of them here, and there are some very nice parks. I have posted some pictures of Ned Houk Park, a few miles north of town, on my blog. You can see them here, and read other impressions of Clovis: Zees Go West

Hope this is a help.

~clairz

Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
We plan to do lots of traveling around the state. Because we are nearing retirement age we are more interested in sightseeing than in nightlife.
If you haven't made it down to Carlsbad Caverns, do it. It really is mind-blowing.

If you've got time, on the way down you might swing over to Sitting Bull Falls. Neat little place to spend a few hours. Watch out for rattlesnakes though!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 AM

thank you all for the post. I will check things out. cat.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM

i actually was at "Neds" park. After dusk when driving out if you look out at one of the fields you will see hundreds of very large rabbits. when you turn on you car lights thier eyes, (hundreds of them) glow. Is really neat. thanks cat.

i actually was at "Neds" park. After dusk when driving out if you look out at one of the fields you will see hundreds of very large rabbits. when you turn on you car lights thier eyes, (hundreds of them) glow. Is really neat. thanks cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico