Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2006, 02:35 AM

827 posts, read 5,064,623 times

Advertisements

I agree. For Portales to be as small as it is, it sure has a high crime problem and so does Hobbs. My sister's best friend had to flee out of Hobbs because she was afraid to even walk down a street. Portales and Rosewell are just the same as well. There needs to be a crackdown on crime by the law. It is time the citizens at these high crime towns say "enough is enough" and demand action by the police to stop the crime, drugs, outlaws and gangs. New Mexico would be a great place to live if they would stop the crime. New Mexico is still a great place to live, but why should only the rich towns be safe while those less fortunate towns have to deal with all the crime? I hope New Mexicans will start crime watches on every block in every town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 AM

368 posts, read 1,323,632 times
Default P-Ville

I used to live in Portales and I love that town, but too small for me. Most of the crime in Portales comes from druggies and bored teenagers,the teens have nothing better to do than get drunk and break windows,break into cars and party.On sundays Portales has something to do-they cruise in taco town(north part of the town)people come from Clovis and everybody cruises and rides their horses and has bbq's at the park. Its Cinco De Mayo every sunday in Portales.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,760,720 times
Default From Akron to Portales, NM

In about a few weeks, I'll be moving down to Portales, NM from Akron, Ohio. My wife has been down there since August, teaching at Eastern New Mexico U. She loves her job, but there is "not much to do" there or in a lot of parts of NM.

We'll have to plan weekend excursions to alleviate boredom, and avoid the bottle as much as possible, seeing how it's the "hobby" of choice down there.

My background is printing, signmaking, most recently driving for FedEx Ground. I wish I can bring my delivery truck, I'd feel safer in a 5 ton vehicle against a DUI sniper.

I did call up a local electrical contractor, and asked him what are the possibilities of becoming an apprentice. He said very good...if you don't use drugs...show up to work on time sober...and have a valid drivers licence/vehicle, we'll put you to work.

I was blown away by that comment!!!

They are just crying for competent/reliable people out there, they are tired of drunken lazy slobs. When they hear a midwesterners a coming, they treat you like gold for the good work ethic you bring.

Last edited by newmex; 12-03-2006 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Wanted to be specific about which Akron. There is a lot of them.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 50,444 times
I'm interested in hearing replies to your post, since I am hoping to move from Toledo to NM. I found your anecdote interesting! And encouraging! How did you find that guy? Good luck with the move!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:06 PM

54 posts, read 226,836 times
Default Portales is great!!!!

Hey there is plenty to do there. Get involved w/community, volunteer and the churches are all great places to meet great people. I have a second family there, and I miss them all. Check out Oasis park, Blackwater Draw, Library, Daylight Donuts 1st thing in the morning for apple fritters, in the summer, june, they have festivals in the park, Dairy Fest in Clovis, etc. Good luck and take care. Catherine from MA

Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks Catherine!
One month from today is when I arrive. Today I drove My FedEx route in the Akron area...lake effect snow, with cold blowing wind in a truck with NO HEAT. I can't wait to get the hell outta here!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:34 PM

710 posts, read 2,953,809 times
Although I don't really know much about most of Eastern NM in general, if you love the outdoors you will find plenty to do when you get here. Besides you can easily drive to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or El Paso if you need a city fix. Just keep a positive attitude and it will work out great for you both. I know the winters will be very mild by your current standards. If Portales doesn't work out your wife can always seek employment at CNM Community College (ABQ), The University of New Mexico (ABQ), or New Mexico State University (Las Cruces). Good luck, I sure hope things work out well for the both of you.

By the way what can you tell me about Columbus, OH, I might be moving there for a job opportunity?

Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 PM

Can't tell you much, except that if you can find work that pays well, go.

Southern Ohio is pretty, especially Ross County. There is Native American history there, lots of mound building that dates back over a millenia, Check out Serpent Mound.

Dard Hunters Mountain House is in Chillicothe, he was very conducive to the Arts and Crafts era and was very respected author in the world of papermaking and letterpress printing, His Great grandson lives there and conducts tours and seminars with letterpress printing artists.

Athens is home of Ohio University, a nice Arts college in a bucolic setting. Lots of lush parks, Wayne National Forest for one, close to the outdoors, including Western PA, West Va, Kentucky.

A difference of a 120 miles south of Cleveland makes winters a little more bearable.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:11 PM

20 posts, read 80,891 times
Default Portales is OK

I lived in Portales for about a year (2003-2004). I agree with the post about Daylight Donuts!!! For entertainment, we usually went to Lubbock. It was about 100 miles or so. Also, Ruidoso is within a few hours drive. There you will find a nice resort town complete with skiing, etc. If you like history, then you'll be interested to know that Billy the Kid is buried within a day's drive (or so they claim!). Other than this the only advice that I have is to try to have a good time. BTW, a job shouldn't be hard to find. Although you may have to go to Clovis.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 29,635 times
Default I spent a year in Clovis/Portales

I'm in ABQ now. Not much to do down there and it is the ugliest part of NM. Lubbock has good music and barbeque. Highlights in Clovis- A soul food restaurant, a biker bar called Riley's Switch, proximity to a great biker bar in Amarillo, lots of big Bull snakes on the road, burrowing owls in the park, golden eagles on the road to Tucumcari. Portales - Peanuts and speed traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico