Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Ciudad Jurez is the Mexican city near El Paso, and I was told by several native Mexicans to stay away unless you were with someone native to that area.
Juarez is a pit. It's literally a crime-ridden Third World City. Very, very dangerous too. Every bad stereotype you've ever seen about Mexico is true in Juarez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
If you like Mexican culture, you will likely love southern NM. Many of those towns are 40% hispanic, some are even higer percentages.
Most NM towns have a large Hispanic population. There's a large Navajo influence in the north and Apache in the south (especially around Ruidoso). College towns bring in quite a few students and teachers from Asia and the Middle East. Culturally, NM has lots of neat stuff. I grew up in a dinky podunk town (that still had a university), and as a kid I had friends who were Mexican, Chinese, Iranian, Indian, and African American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 04:40 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
they say the same about Tijuana, but I still go there during the day and have never had any problems. The best border town that I have ever visited is Nuevo Laredo. Sure both TJ and NL are now having their drug wars and so killing in the streets, but it wouldn't stop me from going there during the day. My feeling about Mexico is, you can't really find it until you get past the border towns, and the more south you go the better it is. I think it is great that NM has that culture.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:46 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I just saw a cheap house with some land in Tularosa and wondered where it was.

I wish I could just draw myself a town and move there. It would look like Stars Hallow on The Gilmore Girls, but it would only get 8 inches of snow. It would not be humid, and the summers would be 90 to 95 for highs. The wind would not blow badly, and they had a great library, many ethnic restaurants, movie houses, and plays. In winter the town would be decorated for each season, and at Christmas they would have hayrides and plays on the street. The people would be of different cultures, and everyone would be friendly.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Tularosa is a tiny town about 10 miles north of Alamogordo. It is at the foothills of the mountains that go up to Ruidoso. The town should have pretty cheap property and it is easy to get down to Alamo.

It seems like the wind issue is not going to be as big down in Alamogordo as it was where I lived in NM (Clovis) so don't despair quite yet about the city. According to the city data info, the winds are only marginally higher there than the average for the US. So it being down in a valley must protect it a bit.

I doubt the area gets too many 100 degree days either. But Cruces is a little hotter, and not as protected.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,363 times
Im curious about Costa Rica??? Has anyone been there.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 AM

15 posts, read 166,944 times
Alamogordo is more like 50000 and that is just the town, there are more if you include Tularosa, High Rolls, Valmont, La Luz, Cloudcroft, Mayhill and all the other small towns in the immediate vacinity. Employment is pretty good especially if you are into government contracting and in particular if you hold a security clearance, A clearance in this area writes its own ticket. There are lots of service jobs in the area as well but generaly pay minimum wage and competition can be high with military spouses and locals with little education or technical skills. Basically Aerospace, Intelligence, federal law enforcement and Land Management rule the area as far as jobs go.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,585 times
Smile Relocate to New Mexico

I can't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll post this as a reply to the message about where it doesn't snow too much.

Gallup looks good to me, driving through, talking to people, and checking out the web site. But I want to talk to people who know it.

I'm a life-long resident of California, currently in the Mojave Desert. I want a place with a reasonable cost of living, some cultural outlets, a college or university campus, and a history. A retirement community does not appeal--too limited, too expensive, and too focused on golf, not horses.

Will someone start a conversation? And maybe tell me how to start a new thread?

--redswan

Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM

142 posts, read 731,508 times
Arrow redswan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redswan View Post
I can't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll post this as a reply to the message about where it doesn't snow too much.

Gallup looks good to me, driving through, talking to people, and checking out the web site. But I want to talk to people who know it.

I'm a life-long resident of California, currently in the Mojave Desert. I want a place with a reasonable cost of living, some cultural outlets, a college or university campus, and a history. A retirement community does not appeal--too limited, too expensive, and too focused on golf, not horses.

Will someone start a conversation? And maybe tell me how to start a new thread?

--redswan
Greetings,

To start a new thread just click on the state forum in which you want to start the new thread (after logging on) and right above where it says threads in forum in the upper left hand corner - there is an icon that says "New Thread." Just click on the new thread icon and off you go.

Cheers...

Old 09-27-2006, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
Hi,

Have you visited the city of Rio Rancho? It is a beautiful place with nice people.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 43,646 times
WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT MOVE TO T OR C! The Justice Department classifies it as the worst small town in the US to live in as organized crime rules here and 62% of the government and 41% of the businesses here are corrupt. In 1998 there were 7 murders in one year. There are two terrorist groups here and three hate groups have chapters here. There are dozens of drug dealers, meth labs and money laundering businesses here. And there are six dogs for every person that bark night and day never giving you any peace.
And walking at night alone on the streets dog will attack you as the dog owners turn them loose at night and sometimes in the day time too.
Best big town is Las Cruces. Best small towns are small towns are Capitan, Silver City and Alamogordo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico