Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,608,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le7m2d6 View Post
And walking at night alone on the streets dog will attack you as the dog owners turn them loose at night and sometimes in the day time too.
LOL !! .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 12:04 AM

13 posts, read 39,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le7m2d6 View Post
WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT MOVE TO T OR C! The Justice Department classifies it as the worst small town in the US to live in as organized crime rules here and 62% of the government and 41% of the businesses here are corrupt. In 1998 there were 7 murders in one year. There are two terrorist groups here and three hate groups have chapters here. There are dozens of drug dealers, meth labs and money laundering businesses here. And there are six dogs for every person that bark night and day never giving you any peace.
And walking at night alone on the streets dog will attack you as the dog owners turn them loose at night and sometimes in the day time too.
Best big town is Las Cruces. Best small towns are small towns are Capitan, Silver City and Alamogordo.
HOLY CRAP!!! - I am STUNNED of how bad you are making T or C seem. I live in T or C and have for the past 3 years. I moved here from Wash., DC and I am WELL aware of bad areas. My experience with T or C so far has been great. No traffic and extremely safe. I can walk around town at night with absolutely no worries of being robbed or being attacked by a dog. Just today I forgot my bike outside of business for 3 hours unlocked and when I remembered it, guess what, it was still there. I know people that don't lock their home or car doors. Maybe we are all naive, but I'm living happily here.

Granted this town does have it's problems, and meth labs, but tell me what town doesn't have a meth lab or two. Meth unfortunately has plagued the entire world.

I am also stunned at almost all of your posts about T or C is about how much crime is here and how terrible it is, AND then you say in one post that T or C has dozens of galleries that are nice to view along with internationally known artists and writers. And that Sierra County is the most beautiful place in NM. What gives? You make it seem like it's the worst place in the world, except for it's small art scene.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 AM

35 posts, read 194,353 times
What do you mena by pretty? there are lots of pretty desert areas. be warned that just because it is a desert dosn't make it warm. In Grants and Gallup for example the lows go below freezing even in early fall and late spring. Tempetures of -57 degrees have been recorded in Gallup(Gallups record high is 99 degrees. It gets pretty hot too.). Pretty much ALL towns that are n the forest rather than desert or plains are very cold as well. This year is a strange year though. the weather is strange. It is really warm now when it shouldn't be but it was really cold in the winter.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 36,995 times
We just came back from vacation and did visit Alamogordo. I loved the terrain and the weather was heaven. We want to move to NM, but fear something called "Valley Fever"--anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:05 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
We just came back from vacation and did visit Alamogordo. I loved the terrain and the weather was heaven. We want to move to NM, but fear something called "Valley Fever"--anyone know anything about this?
Can you explain "valley fever" please. I have never heard of this.

Glad you liked the Alamo area.
Jane

Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Can you explain "valley fever" please. I have never heard of this.

Glad you liked the Alamo area.
Jane
Valley Fever Facts (http://www.dhpe.org/infect/valley.html - broken link)

Valley Fever is a fungal infection that affects the lungs. It's endemic to the desert Southwest, including West/South TX, NM and AZ...and probably other states as well.

The only case that I know of personally was in a friend's bull terrier in Phoenix, though it does affect humans as well.

It would not stop me from living in an area unless it just overran the place...and that has not happened anywhere, to my knowledge. The fact that you have lived here for 10+ years...and have never heard of it speaks volumes. I didn't even have any idea that it was also endemic to where I lived for 30 years!!! I only found that out after I did a little research when the dog contracted the disease!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
See my post to Jane....

What brought all this up....did you know someone from here who contracted the infection?

If you thought the weather was heaven, you must like it hot!!! I got here a little over 2 weeks ago permanently...just in time for a record-breaking 102 degrees. LOL!!!

However, it has moderated quite a bit....to the mid-80s some days, and is quite pleasant now!!!

So far I love it here. The mountains are just such a treat.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,286 times
Thanks Cathy for the info on Valley fever. Not worried about this at all. Life is to short to worry about the things that just might happen.

And the weather will cool down for you..LOL And in another three weeks or so take a drive up in the Mts to see the color change of the aspens.

Jane

Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Thanks Cathy for the info on Valley fever. Not worried about this at all. Life is to short to worry about the things that just might happen.

And the weather will cool down for you..LOL And in another three weeks or so take a drive up in the Mts to see the color change of the aspens.

Jane
You're right...it is!!

Thanks for the reminder.....I have never seen the leaves change to several brilliant colors before, so I'm looking forward to that! We went from green to yellow to browns in WT. I have heard that McKittric Canyon in the Guadalupe Mountains (Salt Flat/TX, and not far from Carlsbad, NM) has an awesome display, too, so I might also visit that this year.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Cathy: If 102 degrees was a "record-breaking" temperature, I wouldn't worry about it too much, since it isn't usually that way. I could take 102 degrees there more easily than I can take 93 degrees here, with the humidity!

I've got a photo of the autumn foliage in the Sacramento Mountains stored on my computer. Splendid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico