Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 31,041 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate your post. Am new to this forum, so found your words long after you wrote them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Alot of people drive to Lubbock or Amarillo for the weekend to go dancing, etc. There is a neat drive-inn on the Clovis highway going into Lubbock. Then there are alot of people that go to Albuquerque. Clovis is stuck in the 1950s and doesn't want to change. Many, if not most of the people that live in Clovis or Portales were born there and have lived there all their lives (they aren't very sophisticated to say the least); Clovis is all they know. It's just a boring little town. Between the two though (Portales vs. Clovis), I'd pick Clovis for the two years you have there.
I'm surprised that Portales doesn't bring them in? Isn't there 5000-6000 who are just students alone? They have to be coming from somewhere else, as I can't imagine there would be that many 18-22 year olds just in Clovis/Portales.

Than there is the faculty that teaches them. Seems like they'd be coming from somewhere else as well?

I'm sure things are as you describe them, as I've been reading all of the other Clovis/Portales threads, but it just surprises me nontheless with that major NM university right there.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,236 times
Clovis was an active, thriving town in the 1950's. So many people know Clovis because they drive through it to go somewhere else. Proms used to be held in the Hotel. If someone had a vision like Aubery Mirkwood, people driving through might stay 1 or 2 nights and then tell other people about it. Small towns need to be revitalized in this county. Even the Twin Cronies of the 50's with their music so loud people could hear it in their homes. Maybe make it a 50's town with dancing and drive-in movies. I might come back. My parents are buried there.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I see Joe's Boot Shop at Clovis closed. I used to buy boots from Joe when he sold them out of his home garage at West Camp near Muleshoe, Texas about 1968.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:53 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
They need to fix up the old Fred Harvey House hotel and the train station. Went by it recently. It could be done.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,236 times
Oh my goodness what an electric idea that kpl228 has! When I was a little girl, my parents heard Paul Harvey speak at the Fred Harvey House hotel. I remember coming home from college one time when my parents met me at the train and my father told me never to travel again unless I at least had a dime in my pocket. (what it took to make a phone call (–:
I have always thought that Clovis could really do something with the Fred Harvey House Hotel and train station. I moved away when I was 22 and have not been back since I was 62. Now in my 70's I have had friends just this year stay in Clovis both on their way to their destination and on their way back home to Texas. They would have relished staying in a place like the Fred Harvey Hotel could become.
Clovis is known in Texas as a place one travels through on their way to somewhere else. What a great idea kpl1228!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddinsPlace View Post
Oh my goodness what an electric idea that kpl228 has! When I was a little girl, my parents heard Paul Harvey speak at the Fred Harvey House hotel. I remember coming home from college one time when my parents met me at the train and my father told me never to travel again unless I at least had a dime in my pocket. (what it took to make a phone call (–:
I have always thought that Clovis could really do something with the Fred Harvey House Hotel and train station. I moved away when I was 22 and have not been back since I was 62. Now in my 70's I have had friends just this year stay in Clovis both on their way to their destination and on their way back home to Texas. They would have relished staying in a place like the Fred Harvey Hotel could become.
Clovis is known in Texas as a place one travels through on their way to somewhere else. What a great idea kpl1228!
They did it in Winslow AZ, and now they're doing it in Las Vegas NM also. They fixed up the building in Belen NM also and it's now a mini museum.
The one in Winslow is just superb. And people on Amtrak pull in and spend a day there just to eat in the refurbished Harvey restaurant and stay in the hotel.
We drove by the one in Clovis a month ago. It needs a lot of work but it could be done for sure. However, I don't think Amtrak even passes by Clovis anymore, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
They did it in Winslow AZ, and now they're doing it in Las Vegas NM also. They fixed up the building in Belen NM also and it's now a mini museum.
The one in Winslow is just superb. And people on Amtrak pull in and spend a day there just to eat in the refurbished Harvey restaurant and stay in the hotel.
We drove by the one in Clovis a month ago. It needs a lot of work but it could be done for sure. However, I don't think Amtrak even passes by Clovis anymore, but I could be wrong.
Newp. Definitely no Amtrak going by here.
While searching for ways to get out here for my job back in 2012, I looked that option up and it was a bust.
But apart from GhettoHound, they've got some other bus line called Los Paisanos or something to that effect.
Anywho, the Harvey House in Winslow was a pretty snapping joint with a nice art display when I spent the night there on an OTR run back in 2011.
Even though there is no passenger train running through here at the moment, it, the Hotel Clovis, and some of the other historic buildings could use a nice revamp to allow more access to the general public.
That old building would be a nice place to live and have an all-around view.
But, they decided to go with the income-restricted thing and shut a bunch of potential residents out.

As much as myself and others like to bash the area, I think it's a sad thing when the historical main drags of any particular city get thrown on the backburner in favor of some "new" part of town.
With much of the day-to-day activity being drawn towards Prince street(the "mall", Wally World, Lowes and such), it's pretty much reminding me of what happened to the area I left.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Lol Clovis a another Santa Fe? What are you smoking OP? No mountains, no world renown opera, no mountains, no state capital, no way

Old 04-04-2015, 11:58 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,842 times
Before we left in 2012, Clovis had occasionally singers/groups that would play in one of the old theatres downtown. There is potential if there was an interest and investment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico