Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times

Advertisements

HAve you tried USA jobs?? Sometimes there are teaching jobs with the DOD or with the Indian affairs bureau.

Worth looking into because the pay and bennies would likely be very competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 AM

28 posts, read 108,133 times
I didn't think of the DOD, however, I am looking at the BIA schools and would enjoy teaching for them. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into the DOD. My next biggest obstacle in teaching is my field and I haven't seen many Social Studies positions open with the BIA. Does the DOD have schools they operate?

Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Kirtland AFB or Holloman AFB might have DOD operated schools - it has been awhile since I have been down there. They usually have some form of pre K school too.

The BIA is usually pretty desperate for skilled labor, so I would give them a shot. They might not care that you are not specialized in the subject.

Teaching generally is in short supply in NM, I remember in '98 that the school districts in Clovis were so desperate that they were looking for high school grads with just some college to do long term substitute teaching.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:53 PM

29 posts, read 93,514 times
My husband teachs in Central Consolidateed School district in the Farmington area. It is a top paying district always looking for teachers. The schools are 80% to 99% Navajo. The salary scale is the highest in teh 4 corners as there is lots of federal money. We live in Aztec and he carpools 30 minutes to Kirtland school. His first year he taight for them on the res and we made quitef a bit of extra "isolation" pay and lived in teacher housing. It was cheap but just a very small rent we paid, like 200 a month with all utilties paid, (but ugly house) So we saved a lot of money. It can be a good way to get it if you are willing to teach on the res. Navajo students are quiet and gentle but hard to motivate. I know there are still openings now. Check out thier website. www.centralschools.org The Newcomb Naschitti and Shiprock schools are on the res.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:57 PM

I will definately look into that! I have experience working on the reservations here in Ca as a tutor and would like the opportunity to work on the reservation. I will be looking to apply in the spring for the next school year- so I would like to know where to be looking and where to visit town wise. Thanks for the information!

Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
One of my buds taught at Ft. Wingate for a few years. He likes that fed money as he now teaches in the Mescalero district.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:06 AM

For those of you with knowledge of the school districts a quick question. Do the districts usually pay for only a portion of health benefits? I looked at one site and noticed only 60% was paid for. My current district pays 100% which is wonderful, but I am now wondering how much I will be paying each month for benefits. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 AM

186 posts, read 639,658 times
Default Regarding finding a position.

I know there are probably going to be quite a few job openings opening up next year on the Navajo Reservation as there is usually a high turnover rate. At the very least, I teach social studies and I'm going to be looking at getting a job in Albuquerque. So, there you go, you can have my job lol.

But I feel and understand your pain. I am only endorsed in Social Studies as that is the only subject I felt I would enjoy teaching (as the others bore me [to be quite honest]), but if you really want to be marketable, an English and Math endorsement is really looked at. Also, Science teachers seem to be really hard to find.

As we speak, the high school here has 2 math openings as well as a part time math/part time science instructor. These positions have been vacant since the first day of school.

If you are really serious about teaching on the rez, in particular the Navajo reservation, I'd gladly answer any questions you may have.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:37 AM

Also, regarding your insurance question. I have the highest Blue Cross/Blue Shiled insurance plan possible (I'd rather be safe than sorry) and I pay rougly 160 per month (this is split up for my health, vision and dental). There are much cheaper insurance options out there as well.

Also, since I teach on the reservation I get an 'isolation package' which is something like 1,500 dollars. Also, you get 1,000 dollars for gas. Even if you live in teacher housing you get the 1,000 dollars so money-wise, it is a pretty good option compared to other teaching positions around the state.

As has been said earlier in another post, salaries in Central Consolidated are pretty good when compared to the rest of the state.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:39 AM

Also, I know a teacher I worked with last year who went to work at a BIA school and she took a pretty good pay cut to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico