Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times

Advertisements

Are there any nice towns that are on lakes like Lake Powell, AZ or Lake Havasu City, AZ? Not necessarily that large, but on or near lakes with good bass fishing? We're looking into possible retirement towns for the future.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Wrong forum, dude. You're looking for the ARIZONA forum

Edit: just saw that "towns LIKE" part.

The answer is no, you aren't going to find towns on large bodies of water in NM that are like Lake Havasu or Lake Powell (neither are really lakes, btw)
Even if we did, I'm not sure how good the fishing would be.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Are there any nice towns that are on lakes like Lake Powell, AZ or Lake Havasu City, AZ? Not necessarily that large, but on or near lakes with good bass fishing? We're looking into possible retirement towns for the future.Thanks.
Assuming you are looking for lakes in New Mexico like those in Arizona...

The largest lake in NM is Elephant Butte Reservoir. The town of Truth or Consequences is only a few miles from the lake. There are building sites available nearer the lake, and RV parks on the lake.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Ah, forgot about Elephant Butte.. though I'm not sure I would want to live there.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
A site that might be worth your while would be Utelake.com

Ute Lake is near Logan, NM. I'm guessing a tad over 210 miles east of Albuquerque. Take I-40 east, Tucumcari is 185 miles east of Albuquerque. Take the Tucumcari turnoff at Tucumcari blvd. (it's the old Route 66). On the east side of town take the U.S. 54 exit and proceed to Logan, maybe 25 miles northeast of Tucumcari. There has been development out there of late, it's been 6 years since I've been out there. I worked on a pipeline in New Mexico nearly three decades ago that went north of there, we were based in Tucumcari for a few months and got to liking the area a lot.. That development is the subject of another thread on the New Mexico forum here on City Data and if I recall correctly it had mixed reviews. If I can locate it I'll pull it up. The houses are huge, guessing 300K range, but there is other places out there that have been there for a while. Ute Lake is just a few miles west of Logan.

There are plenty of accommodations in Tucumcari and a few mom and pop motels in Logan. Good luck!

Quick update: I looked at the fishing report on Ute and large and smallmouth bass are doing good out there right now. White bass is kinda slow. The report is from day before yesterday.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
You might read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ew-mexico.html

Rich

Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 AM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Ah, forgot about Elephant Butte.. though I'm not sure I would want to live there.

Why wouldn't you want to live there?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You might read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ew-mexico.html

Rich
And this was originally contributed by Rich to the subject thread. Looks to be a very comprehensive site for NM fishing information.

http://www.aa-fishing.com/nm/new-mexico-map.html

Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

124 posts, read 228,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Why wouldn't you want to live there?
I suppose he means it's not for everyone. I just moved from WI at the end of April. I haven't made it to the town of Elephant Butte yet but would assume it's geared towards the tourists.

Although basic shopping isn't the best here in T or C, the people are very friendly and helpful. Sierra County's Farmer's Market is here. There's a hospital and a couple of health clinics. The downtown area needs some redevelopment but has an eclectic collection of art studios, the Geronimo Museum, cafes, a one screen (I think) theater, second hand type perhaps antique stores and don't forget the natural hot springs.

Anyplace one chooses to live is what you make of it. If you have extraordinarily high expectations, you;ll be disappointed no matter where you make your home.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
There is also the town of Cochiti Lake. Cochiti is a smaller reservoir but not terribly small, and it is more scenic in my opinion than Elephant Butte. It is located closer to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and the gorgeous, if fire ravaged, Jemez mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico