Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,125 times

Advertisements

Hi Kalli! Good to hear from you! I am glad you and your husband had a great trip. I have been waiting to see your posts so thanks for sharing! I really like Farmington too. It has everything you need. Also it has a nice recreation center. Most of the people are friendly here. The Native Americans, some are kind of shy until you know them and then they will talk your ear off, very friendly, just shy at first. The Whites are two classes, middle class and very rich. The Hispanics know both English and Spanish and quite a few have family origins back to the Spanish of many hundreds of years ago that settled in NM. The Mexicans, different from the Spanish Hispanics, tend to stay to themselves and quite a number dont know English. Then there are the roughnecks who work the oil fields. Put in Mormons and Mennonites into the mix (there are alot of other denominations too) and you have most of Farmington.

Where did you eat? Did you get to eat at Blakes? There are quite alot of places to eat here now. Oh the ruins, yes those are quite interesting. The ones over near Cortez are great too - Mesa Verde. Built under a cliff. Quite spectacular. I like Aztec as well. It is an interesting little town. With the hubbub of the UFOs and the people there that are into the UFOs, to the artists, to the over zealous police ticketing anything that looks fast, to the laid back people, it is one unique town. Did you get to see Durango? Did you like Flora Vista? Did you see Shiprock - the rock that looks like a ship? Glad you made it back safely. Oh, how many hours did it take to get to Farmington and did you go back the same way? I know questions, questions. I will stop there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 07:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
I hear you on having amenities right by you and in Los Alamos you really dont have much to do there or much shopping, or like our great rec center, hard to beat that. I just like all the amenities here in Farmington and not too many cities in NM offer all that but the cities of Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Cruces.
That is what amazed me about Farmington. I am a year-around swimmer....and the area has THREE indoor pools available all year around.

I toured the recreation center on Bloomfield highway.....very nice indeed.

Sam's, 2 Walmarts, Best Buy, a big mall with the usual....etc.

It's got it all, along with the downsides.

But....no place is perfect.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 AM

49 posts, read 364,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Hi Kalli! Good to hear from you! I am glad you and your husband had a great trip. I have been waiting to see your posts so thanks for sharing! I really like Farmington too. It has everything you need. Also it has a nice recreation center. Most of the people are friendly here. The Native Americans, some are kind of shy until you know them and then they will talk your ear off, very friendly, just shy at first. The Whites are two classes, middle class and very rich. The Hispanics know both English and Spanish and quite a few have family origins back to the Spanish of many hundreds of years ago that settled in NM. The Mexicans, different from the Spanish Hispanics, tend to stay to themselves and quite a number dont know English. Then there are the roughnecks who work the oil fields. Put in Mormons and Mennonites into the mix (there are alot of other denominations too) and you have most of Farmington.

Where did you eat? Did you get to eat at Blakes? There are quite alot of places to eat here now. Oh the ruins, yes those are quite interesting. The ones over near Cortez are great too - Mesa Verde. Built under a cliff. Quite spectacular. I like Aztec as well. It is an interesting little town. With the hubbub of the UFOs and the people there that are into the UFOs, to the artists, to the over zealous police ticketing anything that looks fast, to the laid back people, it is one unique town. Did you get to see Durango? Did you like Flora Vista? Did you see Shiprock - the rock that looks like a ship? Glad you made it back safely. Oh, how many hours did it take to get to Farmington and did you go back the same way? I know questions, questions. I will stop there!
LOL I love questions
I ate at Blakes, i had the lotaburger, with chilies, and FF.. yummy, infact i ate there twice. We didn't go out to bigger food places, trying to save money.
Los Her something, i cant remember any of them , my mind is fo full of all the info i was trying to store in da brain from there LOL..Denny's, and a home food place that was super, i am no help am i? i know it will come back to me and then i will post it, but right now i am drawing a blank.. Mas something burritos too.

Went through shiprock both ways, no a place i would want to live tho, i am sure its nice but not for me....Nice big rock tho, not sure where it looked like a ship LOL but i got pics of it anyways.

The ruins were special to me, i could feel the power there, i put out tabaco before i left as well. I used to teach natives their language and culture when i lived in mn and wis. Ojibwa, i speak 3 different tribes languages.It's sad they lost that teaching and culture along the way, like bead work, pine needle baskets, jingle dresses, shell dresses, ribbon dresses, Moccasins, and so on. I even have a Indian prayer book that is ready for publishing

No didnt get to Durango, was more into looking around Farmington , i figure when i move there i can see and visit there.

Flora vista lol, if you blink you will be through it lol, very small but beautiful i thought, seem quite as well, they have a circle k there too lol.

It took 10 hours to get there but we were not in a hurry and left at 12 am, so we took our time cause of the elk and critters in or on or around the roads lol, we took the back way there as well, no traffic, it was great. we took 87 up to Payson then to 40 then north, but the ride from here to Payson was great.
We gain a hour since we do not change out times, and your a hour ahead of us. so on the way back, taking the same way back its always faster for some reason, it took us 8 hours cause we lost that hour and made better time, since it was daylight and we can see the critters better.

I had a super time, and i fell in love with the area in northern NM.... Cant wait till move time. But still need to find place to move to as well. Just one thing, that is the starting paid there. Maybe with our experience we might get more per hour? Hopefully otherwise that will be the only thing keeping us from there, 5.35 a hour isn't enough for us.
but thining postive about everything... I love NM~~~~!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallista View Post
LOL I love questions
I ate at Blakes, i had the lotaburger, with chilies, and FF.. yummy, infact i ate there twice. We didn't go out to bigger food places, trying to save money.
Los Her something, i cant remember any of them , my mind is fo full of all the info i was trying to store in da brain from there LOL..Denny's, and a home food place that was super, i am no help am i? i know it will come back to me and then i will post it, but right now i am drawing a blank.. Mas something burritos too.

Went through shiprock both ways, no a place i would want to live tho, i am sure its nice but not for me....Nice big rock tho, not sure where it looked like a ship LOL but i got pics of it anyways.

The ruins were special to me, i could feel the power there, i put out tabaco before i left as well. I used to teach natives their language and culture when i lived in mn and wis. Ojibwa, i speak 3 different tribes languages.It's sad they lost that teaching and culture along the way, like bead work, pine needle baskets, jingle dresses, shell dresses, ribbon dresses, Moccasins, and so on. I even have a Indian prayer book that is ready for publishing

No didnt get to Durango, was more into looking around Farmington , i figure when i move there i can see and visit there.

Flora vista lol, if you blink you will be through it lol, very small but beautiful i thought, seem quite as well, they have a circle k there too lol.

It took 10 hours to get there but we were not in a hurry and left at 12 am, so we took our time cause of the elk and critters in or on or around the roads lol, we took the back way there as well, no traffic, it was great. we took 87 up to Payson then to 40 then north, but the ride from here to Payson was great.
We gain a hour since we do not change out times, and your a hour ahead of us. so on the way back, taking the same way back its always faster for some reason, it took us 8 hours cause we lost that hour and made better time, since it was daylight and we can see the critters better.

I had a super time, and i fell in love with the area in northern NM.... Cant wait till move time. But still need to find place to move to as well. Just one thing, that is the starting paid there. Maybe with our experience we might get more per hour? Hopefully otherwise that will be the only thing keeping us from there, 5.35 a hour isn't enough for us.
but thining postive about everything... I love NM~~~~!!!!!!!
Hi Kalli! Great to read your post! Wow, you know tribal languages! How awesome! A Native American friend of mine tried to teach me some Dine but wow it is hard. I told him I think it would take me fifty years to learn enough to say some sentences! Oh Governor Bill Richardson has passed a 7.50 an hour minimum increase to be phased within two years if I remember right. Durango pays alot better since it costs more to live there so what quite a few do is work there and make the higher wages and live in Farmington. The drive is an hour or less but since I have a small daughter I just dont want to be away that far from her so I dont do that but know those who do. If you dont mind driving, it is an option or to live in between both places like Cedar Hill or Dutchmans Hill and that way you can go to either Durango or Farmington in half the time.

Yes Flora Vista is small. Shiprock isnt a place I would live either. It is sad to see the poverty there. It took me awhile to see the ship in the rock but I finally found out how it looks like a ship. I kept looking for a modern day ship but found out the pioneers saw it a long time ago and thought it looked like a clipper ship, you know those ships with sails? I was like, "oh, I see it now" and it looks more like a ship far off then up close, at least to me. I recently found out from my Native American friend, who tried unsuccessfully to teach me Dine (Navajo), that Shiprock is an extinct volcano and the rock is actually a hardened basalt core that was inside the crater and the wind eroded the volcano away and all that is left is the basalt core. He said in Dine they call it "rock with wings". Anyway pretty interesting.

I think where you ate might be Los Hermanitos? Also Burritos y Mas which means Burritos and More for those not knowing Spanish. I eat at Burritos y Mas sometimes. I havent tried Los Hermanitos. Was it good? Yes Blakes, yum! Thanks for your posts and take care!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 AM

49 posts, read 364,737 times
Sorry i miss post, the min wage is 5.15 a hour not 5.35 like i posted. Mike informed me it wasn't Mas burritos, we ate at lol, i saw it so i guess i thought that was it, it was Sonya's USA kitchen or cooking.. not sure ....they had great food, the waitress's were little dinging tho lol
Yes Mike saw the ship right away, but i didn't lol...
I was born and raised in Germany, then Iceland, then Scotland, UK, Wellington NZ then Aussie, father was Army so we moved lots.. I didn't move from Germany till i was 12 tho. Then when we went to US, we moved to Wisconsin, and i took right to the culture, and in Ely Min as well when we moved there. SO English is my 3rd lang i learn, i speak it great but spelling , not so good lol.. very thankful for spell check LOL
I had a blast in farmington, i want to move now lol
but we have to think of jobs, and if we can make it on 5.15 a hour, and really cant wait till the min wage goes up over 2 years.
550 a month say for rent
100 for elec
60 for gas
35 phone
20 water
15 garbage
200 food
not even putting in internet in cost, the least of my worries
thats like 1000 a month to live
so its just something we are working out
plus we have diapers for heather and pedia sure 4 cans a day that are not covered under her coverage for SSI
Heather is in full time diapers now, her health is declining.
blessings
kalli
TO Farmington and Beyond!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:34 PM

You have really got to see alot of the world! Oh I know how it is, my daughter is coming upon 4 now so not so bad but those diaper years really tear into your wallet! I hope it works out for you Kalli. My dad was in the military too but mainly US bases so wasnt too bad. My oldest sister married a military man and lived in Germany awhile then got out and moved on to North Carolina. Lovely state but WAY too hot and humid for me. Wish you the best! I am wishing you the best for your daughter too!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,747 times
Question Relocating to Farmington

I'm looking at relocating to Farmington from Michigan. We've lived in California, Utah, Idaho, and Arizona, and we liked each state. Now we can't wait to get back out West, but I've only visited Farmington once. I'd like any input on the schools, (we have four kids), people, crime, weather, wind, water situation, etc. We vacation in the Southwest every summer.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmjjm View Post
I'm looking at relocating to Farmington from Michigan. We've lived in California, Utah, Idaho, and Arizona, and we liked each state. Now we can't wait to get back out West, but I've only visited Farmington once. I'd like any input on the schools, (we have four kids), people, crime, weather, wind, water situation, etc. We vacation in the Southwest every summer.
Hi, there is alot of info on Farmington on this forum, just type in Farmington in the search function. A quick info is Farmington schools are fine, not superior, but average, but most NM schools are not going to be top notch since it is a poor state, only the private schools tend to excel. Weather is great. Winter, any snow melts quickly and usually very little snow. Summers can be hot but dry. Crime, type Farmington, NM in the www.city-data.com website and it lists crime statistics. Usually two or three murders a year and for city this big, for NM, that isnt bad. Water is good, we have two rivers that run all year long. Wind, it doesnt blow much except in Spring it can blow pretty good and whenever a storm come through, which isnt much. There is alot to do here, Lake Navajo, the largest lake in NM is right by us and you can go boating, fishing, jet skiing and there is Durango, an hour away in Colorado to go up to the resort for skiing. You might also look at Aztec, better schools and smaller and not much crime. Cortez to the north is another option in Colorado, a small family western town. Durango is a beautiful city to the north, its housing is higher though like Santa Fe.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,747 times
Default I Luvnm

Thanks for the help. You're right, there was a lot of info...and it has me reconsidering. Thanks again.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
Default Farmington Information

Just read your blog and thought that I would let you know a few things about Farmington.
There are definitely 4 seasons here. Spring and Summer are the shortest seasons. Fall and Winter start late September and end mid May. Just got snow 2 weeks ago.
Rent here is about $600.00 for a 1 bedroom and up from there. The best thing to do is to contact a realtor or go to www.daily-times.com (our local newspaper).
Drugs and Alcohol abuse among teens is very high here as is Teen Pregnancy(I think because there is nothing for them to do). Keep in mind that when you are looking for information about our schools here we are a non reporting state. That means when youth (under 18) are involved in wrong doings they are not broadcast with the exception of Murder, armed robbery, things that are felonies.

Hope my information helped you in your decicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico