Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 02:59 PM

309 posts, read 988,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafByMetal View Post

1- We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment (preferably) that will accept pets. Are there any recommended realtors that we should contact that will not place us in a bad neighborhood? Finding a realtor that will return our emails from 1900 miles away has been a problem for us. What is generally needed for a deposit- one month, 1 1/2 months, two months rent?
There are questions you can ask, but prolly won't receive the answer you want. New Mexico Real Estate: Find Homes For Sale in New Mexico - REALTOR.com In all my dealings with agents, it's been first-last and security, tho I don't know why if you have good credit.

Quote:
2- We have two dogs, both are Chinese Crested Hairless. We have already read about the problems of Hanta virus and such. Is there anything we should know or keep an eye out for?
Make sure the shot records are up to date. Get the 3 yr rabies and tag before you leave. Hantavirus is caused by infected rodents and their fleas. Many older homes have droppings in the ceilings that when disturbed go airborne, get sucked into your lungs and transmit the disease. Campers have been bitten by the fleas. Changing flea collars every month or using the liquid drops on the animal helps, but won't stop the disease. Keep as clean a house as possible.

Quote:
5- What is the tax situation like? In NJ we had just federal and state taxes (which the state taxes were among the highest in the nation). Here in NC, we have federal, state, county, and city taxes to deal with. We were lead to believe by the company I moved here for that it was cheaper to live here than NJ, which we have found to be untrue unless you are a homeowner (property taxes in NJ are sky high). Among other things that we do not like are the fact that there is a yearly county tax on your vehicle that for us this year is $150 (on top of paying for registration and inspections)
I'm down here now checking these out for myself. In Montana we have a sliding scale up to 11% and .47 cents/gal gas tax, so NM is about half on both. Plates are cheaper, but the insurance runs higher.

Quote:
8- Snowfall- how much, how often, and how long does it stick around for? Living in NJ has really given me a “distaste” (to put it mildly) for snow. There is snow in NC, but they have no snow removal equipment here and the people do not know how to drive in it, so when it snows here it is interesting to say the least.
Nowhere near as much as we get in Montana! Here with the higher elev, it melts and/or blows off quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Farmington is just on the outskirts of the Navajo Rez and as such has its own set of problems. One being alcoholism, crime and high unemployment. I don't suppose you've researched this? //www.city-data.com/city/Farmin...ew-Mexico.html
We've looked at that page and compared it to the one for the city we live in now. Though it does not list alcoholism rates, Farmington is much lower crime-wise than here. Hell, we've got an active serial killer around here- 9 women so far and the FBI is investigating. As far as unemployment, the city we live in actually straddles two counties. The county we live in has an unemployment rate of 13.6%, the other county has a rate of 16%. So you can see why we would look west for work
We're just trying to find the info you can't find online or without actually speaking with someone from NM. If there are other towns that you would suggest, we'd love to hear about them!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:45 PM

375 posts, read 1,378,910 times
The reason is simple - the Navajo keep their own records which is not reflected on the nearby towns. 495 vs 320 average is not exactly safe. If you want to be closer to basics try Alamagordo, Ruidoso or Las Cruces.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:49 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,907,573 times
Quote:
If you want to be closer to basics try Alamagordo, Ruidoso or Las Cruces.
NOT RUIDOSO! Unless you're satisfied with a job at Walmart! Or waiting tables! Ruidoso is NOT somewhere one should consider who needs stable employment. It is strictly a tourist town - it's one and ONLY industry. Every other person living here has a realtor's license, so that field is saturated.

Alamogordo and Las Cruces are good choices, as is often overlooked Roswell. Clovis would be a possibility if one has skills related to the military/industrial sector since Cannon Airforce Base there has been "saved" and is gaining new programs. Same can be said of Las Cruces with nearby White Sands Missile Range and Holloman Airforce base. And of course there's Albuquerque with the largest job pool in the state and reasonable real estate values by comparison with cities of similar size in the USA.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,425 times
Quote:
The reason is simple - the Navajo keep their own records which is not reflected on the nearby towns. 495 vs 320 average is not exactly safe. If you want to be closer to basics try Alamagordo, Ruidoso or Las Cruces.
I've noticed that most of those are in southern NM, may I ask why you recommend those towns over areas like Aztec, Bloomfield, Grants, Santa Fe? I had not thought of the reservations keeping seperate records. The only contact we've ever really had with the Native American population was up in NJ at the Rancocos Reservation. We used to go every summer to the American Indian Arts Festival and we loved the immersion in the culture and arts it provided. We lived to far away though to have daily interaction with the people who lived there.
It's hard to put into words exactly, but both my wife and I feel NM is "right" for us somehow, like we're supposed to live there. I had always wanted to move out there, I had just chalked it up to being a scorpio . I like the hot days of summer and I get cold fairly easily, so I always wanted to live somewhere warmer. We live somewhere warmer now, but the humidity out here makes it just gross. We can't stay here and we can't and won't move up north again, so NM seems to be our main option at this point. Besides, I've already begun applying for work out in that area (a few places have me under consideration). We're not exactly set on Farmington just yet, so any info about other areas would help.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times
I leave commentary about Farmington mostly to others, but don't think that anywhere in this region is an economic panacea now. Farmington is one of the "energy towns" in the West--specifically in Farmington's case, the natural gas industry. That industry, which was booming a year ago, is really hurting now. There are unemployed gas field workers everywhere--many of them relocating to--guess what?--the East and Appalachia looking for work now. The son of a friend of mine who worked out of both Farmington, NM and Grand Junction, CO has spent the last 9 months working all across the US to try and keep working--and is now facing layoff. Like much of New Mexico and Colorado, Farmington is not an especially cheap place to live, either. As the old saying goes, before you jump off the pier, it's probably a good idea to see if there is water down there. New Mexico is not a particularly easy place to make a living.

One note about Farmington--it is not a fair comparison to make between a relatively small reservation in the eastern US, and the massive Navajo Reservation with the influence it has the region's economy and culture. It is like nothing in the eastern US in that regard. In fact, the Navajo Reservation is a unique culture onto its own. Nor is it the only reservation close to Farmington. The Mountain Ute, Southern Ute, Hopi, and Jicarilla Apache Reservations are all relatively close (by western standards). Oh, and Farmington is not some subtropical paradise in winter. It does get cold and can snow there in wintertime. I STRONGLY suggest you make a trip out to make sure it will be an OK place for you to be--I don't think it is going to be what you expect.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 AM

309 posts, read 988,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafByMetal View Post
I've noticed that most of those are in southern NM, may I ask why you recommend those towns over areas like Aztec, Bloomfield, Grants, Santa Fe?
Are you in the energy bidness? If so, then those towns would prolly be ok. NM, like WY, MT & ND are BIG states with many oil, coal and gas opportunities. If not, look elsewhere.

I like Ruidoso - but not for jobs.
I like Quemado - and prolly will be buying there shortly. Again not for jobs.
I like LasCruces & Alamagordo - but too close to the border - might be good for jobs.
I dislike Gallup, ABQ, Santa Fe and Clovis - but that's just me.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlogger View Post
Are you in the energy bidness?
Several other options that I haven't seen discussed in the threads in this forum are the cities of Artesia, Hobbs and Carlsbad. All three have economies highly affected by the OIL/GAS industries. All three are small town enough to require inspection before jumping in with both feet. SE NM is not the picturesque vision most "foreigners" have of NM in general. Again, Google Maps-Street Views can be of great assistance in "scoping out" those towns.

Of the three, Carlsbad has the most natural beauty to offer. Pecos River runs through it plus it's on the edge of the ancient reef that forms the nearby Guadalupe Mountains with TWO National Parks an easy day trip away - the Caverns and Guadalupe Mtns. Nat. Park. And there are other points of interest in the mountainous terrain to the west.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Today's not-so-good news from Farmington:

Quote:
FARMINGTON, N.M. -- To compete in these hard economic times, Farmington is considering layoffs, furloughs and pay cuts for its city employees.It's a move aimed at reducing spending as Farmington's economy weakens.City Manager Rob Mayes said he is meeting with city employees to provide information and receive feedback on the steps the city could take to cut its general fund budget by around $3 million to $4 million.Other options include continued spending cuts on projects and operations and not filling vacant positions.Mayes said those steps alone won't be enough.If the city goes along with furloughs, officials said it would apply to both its salaried and wage earning workers.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM

39 posts, read 150,789 times
Don't do it. The road between Gallup and Farmington is the number one death highway because of drinking and driving. The students at my university from Farmington were so racist that they had to be removed from my graduate program. There is so much racial tension between whites and natives. My husband was killed by gang members in this area. You will hate it there.Few white people stay that get transferred there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico