Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Bad things can happen when you're not expecting them to. You gotta keep a vigil even in an open field.
"NewMex" is right, I was the victim of an assault and carjack attempt in Birmingham, Alabama in 2005 when I least expected it; it happened inside a motel that was only a few blocks from the airport terminal. Two weeks later three people were shot to death in the same motel in another robbery. You might think that a "Days-Inn" motels by an airport are secure enough for travelers. Well, some are but others are not. Don't expose yourself in order to find out which ones aren't safe. I could have prevented the assault if I had been more alert; I had seen a suspicious man around my room and failed to reported it because I thought that he was only a drunk who was waiting to ask me for a quarter, but he was carrying a gun and got his quarter and more. My car wasn't stolen because he ran into a hole in the parking lot and couldn't get it out. That incident has made me more aware of crime which can lure anywhere, don't trust "crime index" numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM

56 posts, read 161,360 times
We have had drunks run us off the road in the Santa Fe area, but somehow drunks, even killer drunks, don't seem to count in the crime stats.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:20 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Don't expose yourself in order to find out which ones aren't safe. I could have prevented the assault if I had been more alert
I wouldnt say that tito. Scumbags who do this kind of think will make sure they get you, no matter how alert you were! I wouldnt blame yourself like that.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,914 times
ok, this is my first time posting. I happened on this site because we are relocating to the Rio Rancho are in about a month. I am not happy about this move. I live on the beautiful eastern shore of MD. My husband works for the gov't and is being transferred.

I have 3 cats, 2 small dogs, and 2 large dogs. It's going to be a nightmare isn't it? A

Any info on the area is appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,338 times
Default Don't let the stats scare you...

Lindah,
I just moved from Akron, Ohio...wasn't sure either but New Mexico is a great place to be. Your animals will be a logistics problem. Looks like you're in need of some acreage. Seek out posts here on Rio Rancho, or check out this site...

http://www.ci.rio-rancho.nm.us/

Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 43,655 times
Default On T or C

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Interesting! I would like to hear more.
I worked undercover for several years for the feds investigating corruption and crime in T or C. Many people moving there don't even know what lies just below the surface and that organized crime controls the town. It is true however it has many art galleries and the county is the most scenic in the state, but its county seat is a dangerous place as the feds well know. Several times meetings were held rather to have the feds take it over and declare Marshal Law.
People who try to tell you T or C is a nice place to live have no idea what they are talking about anymore than a person walks on thin ice over a deep pond.
You have to have had investigated it like I did over the years gathering evidence to know how deep the corruption and crime runs. Even one of their weekly newspapers gives some account of the volumes of crimes committed in the area for such low population. I can not tell you who I am because I am after all a federal investigator, but I feel I need to warn decent people to please just visit but do not move here as there are far better places to move to than T or C.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:15 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,772 times
How will the Chamber of Commerce in T or C react to this posting? The consequnces for the future of that town could be disastrous.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM

39 posts, read 269,300 times
Did anybody see the story on the increase of gang activity in Rio Rancho? Passing it off as something that comes with growth....

Old 03-30-2007, 04:20 AM

79 posts, read 327,282 times
Default Lifetime resident speaking up...

OK, so this thread actually made me join the board!
Hi. my name is onelilredrose and I am a new member...LOL!
All joking aside. I have lived in New Mexico all my life...my family is all caucasion, and I have lived in the southeastern part of the state, southwestern part of the state, and the central part of the state.
Yes there are some areas that scare me. But by the same token, there are some areas that I wouldn't hesitate to take a stroll late at night on a warm summer night with my young kiddos.
For the most part, like in any state I'm sure, the town all depends on the area you're looking at.
Spending most of my childhood in Carlsbad, there is nothing to do for kids! If you have money, there are activities you can enroll them in...mostly sports! If not, they will probably fall into wannabe gangs and drugs. Roswell is up and coming for the area, but not much better and the wannabe gangs think they're big-time, pffftttt!!! Hobbs...ehhh...haven't heard much from there. Most of the southeast are poor areas, so they do what they need to get by. Teens mostly cruze the drag, play sports, drink/smoke pot, and just hang-out.

Las Cruces is a college town. Need I say more? Lots of partying, and being broke. Nice areas and growing fast, but I have alot of friends that live there still that think it is acceptable to have a mediocer (sp?) job and smoke pot (in the privacy of your own home of course) and these people are 33 years old, have kids and own houses. Las Cruces is also close to the Mexican border. A pervious poster said the crime rate in El Paso, TX (which is between Las Cruces, NM and Mexico)is lower because all the murders happen in Mexico is ABSOLUTELY right! I don't care what statistics reflect, El Paso is SCARY!!!

Albuquerque, it's...ummm...diverse. There are three areas that are most talked about. West Side, Northeast Heights, and the Southvalley. There are certainly bad parts of town, unless you are one of the natives, which will band together, hmmm...kinda like adult gangs...does that tell you much? I'm talking of the south valley, anything south of I-40 really. I can't say much more about this area and I have only heard the horror stories and have never lived anywhere near there.
Northeast heights is where all the people who think they're rich live. They spend good money on homes that are considerably smaller than the west side, but they don't have a commute.... You will get more for your money on the Westside, but the commute is longer/slower. Northeast hieghts residents generally look give an aire of being supperior, and Westsiders generally seem to be the working class families. As long as you stay well north of I-40, the neighborhoods are OK. Rio Rancho is something to consider too, it is a bedroom community northwest of Albuquerque which is also considered the Westside. Schools on the westside are overcrowded.
Then you have the communities in Albuquerque along the Rio Grande river, it's really a hit and miss...rural atmosphere...some EXPENSIVE homes, some really poor areas, but greener that the rest of the city and surrounding area.
Small towns outside of Albuquerque (other than Rio Rancho)...I wouldn't live in any of them. Belen and Los Lunas, small time farming community with wanna be gangs as a big influence on your kids.
Same with Bernalillo, Espanola, Moriarty, and Las Vegas.
All this said, I am a 30-something New Mexican, born and raised. I am speeking from personal experience and my own opinions. I am sure there are those that disagree with my perceptions and probably have different experiences than mine. But I do believe any person who has actaully grown up in these areas will agree with me.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,787 times
Default Chimayo

Hello all,

I had heard, and read, that the tiny and beautiful town of Chimayo had,
at one time at least, the worst heroin problem in the country.

That may no longer be the case and I don't want to besmirch the good
name of Chimayo, so perhaps some updated fact checking is in order.

I thought that the town of Chimayo was the most beautiful town in
New Mexico and would move there in a heartbeat if it were not for this
problem.

Also, I seemed to have noticed that racial and cultural divides in New Mexico
between Native Americans, Anglos and the Spanish run deep and wide which
may contribute to some of New Mexico's crime problems.

Happy travels,

Mary
aka Old Indian Jewelry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico