Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont know much about Hobbs, sorry! I know if you are ready to embrace it. You will love New Mexico though. When i was in Ireland my friend used to bring Grolsh from Holland all the time. There is no other beer like it, except of course my home brew! I drink the Grolsch and then reuse the bottles for my own beer
Bryan..i know you always talk about Clayton but are you an Irish citizen who moved to NM or an American who went to Ireland and has now moved back. I was also reading your posts about Ireland on the world threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 12:52 PM

83 posts, read 357,277 times
Default Hobbs NM - any tips or ideas

What kind of area is Hobbs New Mexico
Any raccoons there?
How friendly are the people?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,401 times
Well, there are alternatives to Hobbs that you might also investigate. I grew up in Seminole, Tx (30 mi East), and moved to Hobbs just before the 9th grade. I left many years ago to join the Navy and pursue the life of a wanderer. Recently, I moved back into the area, to Andrews Tx. I still get to Hobbs several times per year. Here's my take on the area;

Hobbs has grown a lot in the years since I went to school there. It has also gotten quite a bit rougher. Crime is up, and most of it is drug/gang related. Don't just take my word for it, though, check with the Police.

That's not to say Hobbs doesn't have a lot of good people there. I visit friends there that are happy to live there, just not as happy as years before. The North and Northwest parts of town are considered the best. Schools are pretty much what you make of them; if you are good, concerned parents that take an active interest in your children's education, a good school can be good. If not, the best school in the world won't keep your kids out of trouble.

If you are moving there as part of the enrichment project, you might take a look at Andrews, where I live. It's going to be a drive to work wherever you live, and the plant is going to be between Hobbs and Andrews. Andrews is a much smaller town with that small town feel, lower crime, and houses that are reasonably priced (Nice new houses going for about $180k or so .... plenty of nice used ones for less than $100k).

If you live in New Mexico, you'll also be paying state income tax, where Texas only has sales tax.

The two down sides of living in Andrews are it is a small town, and doesn't have quite the shopping that Hobbs does. Also, the Texas towns close to Hobbs are dry. That means no bars or liquor sales in the counties. (You can drink in private clubs there like the country club, etc) Some folks think this is a plus, but I believe that it's just an attempt by the churches to impose their beliefs on those of us that don't happen to believe their way. Oh well, Andrews has enough good things going for it that I overlook the little inconveniences.

You'll find living out in West Texas/Eastern New Mexico and adventure wherever you decide to live. It may take a while to get used to the people and the country, but it is a grand place, full of history and promise. The sunsets and sunrises are as magnificent as those I find on the ocean, just a different color between you and the horizon.

aloha,
Turk

Old 03-03-2007, 08:48 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,693 times
"Tuks Sims" has written a well thought poster, I couln't have said anything better. If I were a parent with school age kids I will chose a small town to raise them. The lack of stores can now be replaced by Internet shopping which is very convenient for many goods, but you still want to try that dress or thar pair of shoes before you buy; fortunately you don't buy clothes or shoes every week. It's a shame that the illegal drug trade and the gang culture is ruining so many cities. I'm referring to the whole world, not only the U.S.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 12,401 times
Oh ... I forgot about shopping. I have to jump into my car and run 22 miles to the liquor store (bummer about Texas having dry counties). I usually go to Midland or Odessa once a weeks for other things (45 mins and 30 mins respectively) and there's PLENTY of shopping in those towns, if I can't find what I want locally.

And as for drugs ... well I'm dragging out the soap box here; More than half of the drug problems in America could be eliminated by legalizing marijuana. That's not to say I endorse its use, but if folks that want to use it could do so as easily as they can get alcohol (or grow it themselves), the majority wouldn't be going to cheaper, but nastier drugs like meth. Don't take my word for it, though, talk to the cops in places like Hawaii, where meth came in after the government cracked down on pot growers.

Also, if pot were legal, BILLIONS of DEA and other Government dollars could be freed up for fighting NASTY drugs. And drug dealers wouldn't have as much of a profit incentive to kill each other (and us) over.

Enough for my soap box stand. Like I said, I'm not trying to promote the use of pot, alcohol, or any drug, and I'm not saying I want to be able to use pot. I'm just commenting on things that I've seen during my wanderings through this life, in America, and abroad.

aloha,
Turk

Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Bryan..i know you always talk about Clayton but are you an Irish citizen who moved to NM or an American who went to Ireland and has now moved back. I was also reading your posts about Ireland on the world threads.

I was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland. I had no American relatives and no desire to live here, that was untill i met my future wife! Ive been here for over four years, i think 3.5 continuously this time,

Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,693 times
I knew nothing about Hobbs, since I have spent most of my life in Chicago, but the excellent description of Hobbs by "rgonzales" made me aware that Hobbs is actually a nice town. I know his write up will be of big help to thoise people from overseas that are wondering how Hobbs looks like.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,725 times
Thumbs down Hobbs

Not a good move, i lived there for 4 years and it is the armpit of America. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 AM

23 posts, read 112,241 times
Default Hobbs is not quite the armpit folks say

I just moved to Roswell from st. louis. One thing you will notice here is that folks compare to what they know. Hobbs might not be beautiful by NM standards, but you are within a couple of hours drive from nice shopping in Lubbock and another two or so to the west to some mountains. Elementary schools will vary greatly, so be careful where you buy. if you don't like Hobbs High School, we have a great boarding school in Roswell that is very good academically. Coming from Europe, boarding schools are probably not out of the question.
As for crime, I moved from St. Louis...Hobbs is not anywhere near the worst in crime, again it all depends on your perspective.
Have a good move! you'll be able to build or buy quite a house in Hobbs if you have a good job.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If you are moving from Holland (like in Europe) you are going to have to get used to the lack of humidity. A damp day in Hobbs is dryier then Holland ever gets. It will take a while to adapt. Just uses a lot of sunscreen and always carry water with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico