Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Considering a move to Las Vegas,NM for more affordable real estate. Seems like a lovely area. After surfing some of the posts here (is LV really that bad?, terrified about Vegas, etc.) it seems that there is quite a difference of opinion about the place. It seems like some want to rail on about the place, others have a soft spot for it.

I visited there last month for a job interview at the University. From what I saw there was plenty of ammo for the "gem" vs. "hellhole" positions. The school and town seemed like a "diamonds in the rough" to me. Plenty to like, but also plenty to be put off by. I have never seem a town with such a range of building types (brick mansions to chicken wire shanties in a few hundred yards). But the landscape is magnificent, and I have never felt a warmer, friendlier feeling from a town.

I came away feeling that it is a gem waiting to be discovered. So many of the nicer towns in the western U.S. have been overrun by wealthy urban emigres. LV seems like a pretty nice place with enough negatives to knock the big city poseurs off the scent (temporarily) but to offer an opportunity for someone hard working and patient.

So, very confusing..any one want to chime in about the future of Las Vegas, NM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Hi Fiddlehead -- welcome to the forum!!!

I am sure you will get some opinions posted here to answer your questions!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default Las Vegas N.M.

Las Vegas is a Spanish Community with Land Grants around the area and the people are very friendly but Possesive of their Lands since over half of the Grant Lands have been stolen over the years. >>>> Newcomers to Las Vegas should learn the ways of the People there before trying to get into Politics or trying to impose their ideas on the people. >>>> If youre looking for a Crime Free community Las Vegas is not crime free and if you dont get along with the people you might as well move on. The Las Vegas Scenery is Beautiful with Mountains and Forests everywhere. el pintada kid

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Is this land grant a problem in all of Northern New Mexico. Been reading about them as a problem in the chama area too?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM

212 posts, read 689,209 times
I've given my opinion on Vegas many times throughout this forum, but I'll say that the city is definitely experiencing expansion. NMHU is in the midst of building an entire block of dormitories in order to accommodate the ever-increasing student body. Several new businesses have opened in the last couple of months, though how they'll fare with the recession and the upcoming increase in minimum wage is up in the air. Also, Hollywood has been visiting the area a lot lately, elevating the profile of Las Vegas just a tad (that may be seen as a negative more than a positive, depending on the person).

So it's definitely changing. I still couldn't see myself staying here for the long haul, but as always, to each his/her own.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Oh, and thanks for the welcone Towanda!I should add that I am not entirely new. I was formerly Fungi and SarrD,but I cannot seem to remember all my blasted passwords!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Looks like my former post was eaten, rats!

Pintada: Fear not, I don't want to change anyone. I just want to get along. However, it has seemed to me that Las Vegas has had entrenched poverty for some time and a fair bit of crime. It would be good to see economic development there.

Gallit: Good posts; I have read most of them. I appreciate your candor and desire to give Las Vegas a fair shake. I posted this thread because many people seemed to have a fairly dour view of Las Vegas, but Birdie Jaworski at My Tiny Vegas posted that the town is changing so fast that others' past conceptions may not be current. I liked it, but I'm not sure that I got the full impression in a few days there.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Las Vegas is a great place.. that town is just so separated its sad.. especially having high schools that dont get along at all.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,919 times
Default Highlands University/Las Vegas, NM Info

I'm planning on attending Highlands University for graduate school, but would like some genuine opinions on the school regarding quality of teaching, class size, nearby entertainment stops, etc.

Also, I'd like to know what the average cost of living is in Las Vegas, NM... I'm used to paying about $500 for a 2 bed/2 bath, but I can adjust...

Thanks for any helpful information!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM

261 posts, read 936,301 times
It's not a real school, it's sort of a perpetual job bank for political hacks in New Mexico. I can't imagine a less marketable degree than a doctorate from Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico