Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,963,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Nice choice of words from someone that supposedly has a masters! Your true colors shine. through just by your responses. Comprehension was obviously not your strong point in college was it? I never said I knew a lot about Espanola, I just stated that its the HEROIN capital of New Mexico. Also I could care less if it was a boomtown in 1598! This is like arguing with a little kid. I've tried to see things from your piont of view, however I can't stick my head far enough up my keester to do so! My opinion is Las Vegas has a lot more to offer & is a more attractive town than Espanola.

You're just mad because you dont know your history. Sorry, you were the one who got out of control, it may be more "attractive" to you but it sounded like you just learned something. Check the stats between the counties and cities..

And yea, my "colors" or whatever you wanna call it do shine, real bright.

"Comprehension was obviously not your strong point in college was it?"

It was, but lets just put it this way, I'm living good..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,616,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why in Hell are all you people so obsessed with crime? In my experience if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. I simply do not consider crime to be more than an indirect indicator of relative poverty. You worry about Las Vegas, NM. What about Las Vegas, NV where the criminals really do run the place?
Correlation between crime and poverty has been a point of disagreement for decades, at least. A lot of opinions among people today are formed by looking at multiple look-alike, cookie-cutter neighborhoods popping up across the country where the houses "start in the 200s" or "300s" or whatever the number the developer has decided you and your family will belong to. This creates (maybe an unjustified) expectation that these neighborhoods are better than the regular communities that all sorts of people (including poor) might live in. While it is true that crime might be lower in the new developments, it is also true that it will be lower only for a while. When these neighborhoods loose their attractiveness because of the age of the houses, other people who are real and can pay the real price of their new dwelling come in. The development is at this point called a real community (imho), not an artificial development intended for corporate transplants or the competing Jones'. Some people look for these sterile cookie-cutter developments because they offer a familiar setting no matter where they are in the country and evoke safe memories of like-minded people/families.

In my humble opinion the expectations of many have been distorted by the fact that everything is valued in terms of monetary value. While you can put a price on a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk, you cannot put a price on more intangible things like community spirit. However, if you have to put a price on something like a community, you get the distorted image of "poor people live in high-crime areas and they kill each other because they got nothing to lose" and "wealthy people have so much to live for and that's why they need to live on prime land with walls around them"...

My 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Btw, Compare the Crime stats of Las Vegas and Espanola..
Las Vegas is about twice as bad.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM

811 posts, read 2,933,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
You're just mad because you dont know your history. Sorry, you were the one who got out of control, it may be more "attractive" to you but it sounded like you just learned something. Check the stats between the counties and cities..

And yea, my "colors" or whatever you wanna call it do shine, real bright.

"Comprehension was obviously not your strong point in college was it?"

It was, but lets just put it this way, I'm living good..
You are unbelievable!!
You might want to think before you post, first you started off with you use to have to go to Vegas, then it was you have family in Vegas.....then you LIVED in Vegas!
From all your posts here your Credibility is fading fast.
You claim Espanola was a boomtown after Onate claimed is as a Capital of Spain.
New Mexico's first Spanish community was established by Don Juan de Onate in 1598, just north of city limits on San Juan Pueblo land. That settlement was short-lived as Santa Fe took over as the focal point of conquering Spaniards. But the village of Santa Cruz, now a sort of Espanola suburb, has been an active norteno community for over two centuries, its ancient church a landmark in the area.
It appears there was NO boom as Santa Fe took over as a focal point.
Funny that the town got it's name from a restaurant....where Josefita use to feed the Rail workers.
Las Vegas was a Boom town in the 1800's after the Railroad arrived, if you're such a historian you should know this.
Anyway you can go on all you want about Espanola, however Las Vegas just is a more attrative town. Just look at all the movies that have been filmed there and are continuing to be filmed there. it's one of the best small town locations in the state.
Also Las Vegas has a plethora of higher Learning Institutions, NMHU, Luna Community College, United World College and two high schools.
In the 1800's Las Vegas was also known as an OUTLAW haven. Among the notorious characters were such legends of the Old West as: dentist Doc Holliday and his girlfriend Big Nose Kate, Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Mysterious Dave Mather, Hoodoo Brown, Durango Kid and Dancehall Rustler.

Historian Ralph Emerson Twitchell once claimed, "Without exception there was no town which harbored a more disreputable gang of desperadoes and outlaws than did Las Vegas."
Not something to bragg about but interesting none the less.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,987,545 times
Quote:
Why in Hell are all you people so obsessed with crime? In my experience if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. I simply do not consider crime to be more than an indirect indicator of relative poverty. You worry about Las Vegas, NM. What about Las Vegas, NV where the criminals really do run the place?

why in the hell are you always posting in the NM forums? Why in the hell do you care if people are obsessed with crime? Let em be, crime is brought up just as much as any other subject.

Why should we worry about Las Vegas,Nevada, they have nothing to do with us in NM, if they wanna kill each other there then let em go at it, its none of my business, NM residents worry about their home state, maybe if New Hampshire had some crime then people would worry about it too.

and trust me, its not if you leave them alone they will leave you alone, you should see the amount of guys that give me "mad dog looks" like they are provoking me to react, most are just gangster punks but I just ignore them.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
You are unbelievable!!
You might want to think before you post, first you started off with you use to have to go to Vegas, then it was you have family in Vegas.....then you LIVED in Vegas!
From all your posts here your Credibility is fading fast.
You claim Espanola was a boomtown after Onate claimed is as a Capital of Spain.
New Mexico's first Spanish community was established by Don Juan de Onate in 1598, just north of city limits on San Juan Pueblo land. That settlement was short-lived as Santa Fe took over as the focal point of conquering Spaniards. But the village of Santa Cruz, now a sort of Espanola suburb, has been an active norteno community for over two centuries, its ancient church a landmark in the area.
It appears there was NO boom as Santa Fe took over as a focal point.
Funny that the town got it's name from a restaurant....where Josefita use to feed the Rail workers.
Las Vegas was a Boom town in the 1800's after the Railroad arrived, if you're such a historian you should know this.
Anyway you can go on all you want about Espanola, however Las Vegas just is a more attrative town. Just look at all the movies that have been filmed there and are continuing to be filmed there. it's one of the best small town locations in the state.
Also Las Vegas has a plethora of higher Learning Institutions, NMHU, Luna Community College, United World College and two high schools.
In the 1800's Las Vegas was also known as an OUTLAW haven. Among the notorious characters were such legends of the Old West as: dentist Doc Holliday and his girlfriend Big Nose Kate, Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Mysterious Dave Mather, Hoodoo Brown, Durango Kid and Dancehall Rustler.

Historian Ralph Emerson Twitchell once claimed, "Without exception there was no town which harbored a more disreputable gang of desperadoes and outlaws than did Las Vegas."
Not something to bragg about but interesting none the less.
Not only are you crazy you're wack.. seriouslt go study.
You're not worth my time. I'd rather just stop here cause I might get into trouble for what I would have said.
I wouldnt have had live in vegas if I didnt have family there.

: eek:

Old 08-04-2009, 05:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times
desert sun - I visit this forum because I intend to retire to New Mexico in a few years and Las Vegas is one of the towns I am considering. I wondered about the, to me, excessive interest in crime on the NM forum. I read other state forums and don’t see as much concern with getting mugged or robbed. I was wondering why in NM? Yeah, we have criminals in NH but we don’t make a big deal about it.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM

811 posts, read 2,933,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Not only are you crazy you're wack.. seriouslt go study.
You're not worth my time. I'd rather just stop here cause I might get into trouble for what I would have said.
I wouldnt have had live in vegas if I didnt have family there.

: eek:
You just got SCHOOLED and don't know how to respond, thats ok next time you go for your Masters...make sure the school is accredited!

"I wouldnt have had live in vegas if I didnt have family there."
What?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
You just got SCHOOLED and don't know how to respond, thats ok next time you go for your Masters...make sure the school is accredited!

"I wouldnt have had live in vegas if I didnt have family there."
What?
You mean Clemson, Florida and UNM, schools you probably cant afford, or could never get into except for UNM. haha ..

And schooled? Nah.. I know alot more than you, nice try buddy.
get over you're self,..

Plus for those who are wondering about the crime there, It is very high for a town its size.
You probably wont get mugged..though.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,987,545 times
Quote:
desert sun - I visit this forum because I intend to retire to New Mexico in a few years and Las Vegas is one of the towns I am considering. I wondered about the, to me, excessive interest in crime on the NM forum. I read other state forums and don’t see as much concern with getting mugged or robbed. I was wondering why in NM? Yeah, we have criminals in NH but we don’t make a big deal about it.

yeah there are criminals in NH, but crime is different. Thats like comparing Wyoming with Iraq, well it should be alright to live in Iraq because Wyoming has crime too, so Iraq wont be no worse than Wyoming. Im just making a point not saying NM crime is all that bad.

speaking of getting mugged or robbed-actually I was at WalMart this weekend when I saw a car with two guys in it drive by and snatch a ladies purse, she had it sitting in her basket while she was loading her groceries, she then grabbed a hold of the door of the car the guys were in and they drug her in the parking lot til she let go. She slid on the side of her face and the guys got away.

and in my opinion crime is talked about just as much as any other subject, its a city forum so naturally people will talk about what goes on in a city and crime is one of those things, just like people talk about sports teams,the arena, light rail,restaurants,sprawl, and other stuff. Why dont you complain about why people talk so much about their favorite restaurants?

and plus maybe people have an intrest in crime, there are alot of true life crime themed tv shows that probably spark a lot of intrest in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico