Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,278 times

Advertisements

I enjoy visiting LV and spending time there. But no way I would put a child of mine in the schools. One of the offenders got probation, switched to the other high school, and starting practicing with that football team.

This was after parents of the victims testified that he was still threatening their children.

He finally ended up doing a little time only after he violated his terms of probation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Safety, Education, Football. Pick one.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I got a lot of teasing because I am a "Yankee" but that was all in fun (I think. )
Darn Yankee!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,081 times
Smile College in Las Vegas, NM

My son has decided he wants to go to college in Las Vegas. We are a family of 4 that live in the rural town of Goldendale, Washington. My husband is semi-retired will be full retired next year. I have a small accounting business i do out of my home via internet. My other son is 12. They both are scouts and we are a scouting family that likes to do outdoor activities. Looking for a house, condo, apt to rent starting 9/2011 for at least 6 years. 2 bedrooms will work prefer 3. Walking distance to LCC would be great as he wants to get his AA in education before going to the university. We take care of any property we rent like we own it you can ask our landlords. We even have our own refrigerator, washer and dryer. Rent is negotiable as we will be retired with a student in college so will have a fixed income. Will also have 3 well trained cats that we have had since birth -- they have all shots and are fixed -- and are indoor/outdoor cats. Any suggestions on how to start looking in the area on the internet.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM

293 posts, read 971,192 times
Have you been out here to see Las Vegas, NM? If not, that should really be your first step. And is there a reason why you'd all move so far in order for your son to go to a community college? I don't think LCC is known for anything in particular... so there might be schools with similar reputations closer to your current home...?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
I have to mirror cyanthus' query. Las Vegas is a primarily old-line hispanic town and like many small places in Northern New Mexico it is tight-knitted.

Highlands University has some divirsity but how much I don't know. I worked with someone, who is retired now, who worked at the college. He said he was pretty-much sujected to biggotry during his time there. He is white by the way.

I recommend visiting Las Vegas before making any commitment to move there. You might be in for a big culture shock.

The Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico hispanic cultures are completely different from the rest of the cultures in the US. Texas and Colorado cultures have more in common than the ones in NNM. The spanish is more costillian in nature. Slangs phrases are different and if you try to speak spanish with them, they seem to resent it. That's been my experience.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
your son will be attending luna [LCC]?

i agree with previous posters that you [and he] visit for awhile before taking the plunge; vegas was a bit of a culture shock to me, and i'm a born-and-raised new mexican.

check the santa fe craigslist [putting las vegas in the search bar], and you can try the classifieds in the LV optic (http://www.lasvegasoptic.com/cgi-bin/c5class.cgi?080+Class - broken link), but there's not much there.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Why not the Tri-Cities area. Why out of all places in WA., Ore., would he want to get here?
Never, never just move down here without visiting the area.
I agree with all the above.

I went to Central Wa. University, great school and good weather for the most part.

HW

Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM

48 posts, read 89,889 times
I'd have to jump in with the rest here and suggest your family visit Las Vegas and check it out carefully. Nice little town but seems more like texas then NM to me. Impression: W

Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 PM

48 posts, read 89,889 times
...didn't get to finish that.. When visiting we went to the old pharmacy down town (The place is right out of the 1920's) we felt like people were having trouble paying for their Rx's. Just felt like hard times there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico